Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux Paris 35mm f/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Angenieux Paris 35mm f/2.5 Reply with quote

This lens looks very handsome!
http://www.mu-43.com/f81/angenieux-paris-35mm-f-2-5-type-r1-retrofocus-image-thread-22681/

Any clue?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare item that one.

The Angenieux 35/2.5 is fairly common in Exakta mount, but the one for Rectaflex is something else.

The Exakta mount ones come in different styles but none look like this.

I am assuming its the same lens.

I want one of these in Exakta for the sake of my collection but its not at all easy to find one cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Rare item that one.

The Angenieux 35/2.5 is fairly common in Exakta mount, but the one for Rectaflex is something else.

I want one of these in Exakta for the sake of my collection but its not at all easy to find one cheap.

Or one that hasn't suffered from coating damage on the front element due to over-enthusiastic cleaning (very soft and easily damaged apparently).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in M42 mount. It's a pretty sweet little lens.
Very low contrast at all apertures. It just stays sort of neutral in a good way.
More a collectable than anything else in my opinion. There are better performing 35's but few as unique.
Gives a very classic look. A great lens if a vintage style on film is desired.
I'll come back with some samples one time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested one in M42 mount ... Unluckily, its front coating was damaged (apparently, it was really fragile on this lens) ...
Low contrast and really prone to flare, no matter the f/stop, all the samples i have taken with it needed PP to be acceptable ...
And it had also a blades issue ...

Since then, i no longer have it and i'm not planning to buy one. For me, it remains more a collector item than a photographer lens (well, unless you are able to find one in true mint conditions) ...

My 2c ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have it too and have to confirm what Andy already stated: pretty low contrast, so expect some PP afterwards.
Fetches collectors prices, as it one of the first ever made retro lens designs, which Pierre Angenieux actually
invented.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its a collectible really.

There are several other 1950's 35mm for Exakta.
The ones I have are the early Japanese retrofocus copies of the Angenieux.
The contrast isn't bad at all on these, but the corners are awful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Have it too and have to confirm what Andy already stated: pretty low contrast, so expect some PP afterwards.
Fetches collectors prices, as it one of the first ever made retro lens designs, which Pierre Angenieux actually
invented.

It seems that P Angenieux invented the name "retrofocus" for a design that was already in use in cinema; but that he must be credited for making, with this R1 design, the first retrofocus lens for SLRs (that were beginning to take over the rangefinder cameras). The retrofocus name, btw not branded by Angenieux, stayed in use.

The 28mm I tried seems to be better than the 35mm: high definition and high contrast. A suitable hood and clean glass (no haze) are a must to achieve this. I don't think coating marks on the front element, common on these lenses, would alter the contrast in these conditions.

A test of Exakta lenses from the late sixties gives, at 1:100, a resolving power of 130 lines at f8 and f11 in the center (and 80 & 100 in the corners) for the 28mm, which was the upper limit reached by the best lenses tested (Summicron, Pancolar, etc.). Neutral color balance (rather uncommon then).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I have one in M42 mount. It's a pretty sweet little lens.
Very low contrast at all apertures. It just stays sort of neutral in a good way.
More a collectable than anything else in my opinion. There are better performing 35's but few as unique.
Gives a very classic look. A great lens if a vintage style on film is desired.
I'll come back with some samples one time.

very low contrast?
hm.. I have found my copy with exakta mount with enough contrast - just like zeiss.

CLICK ON THIS PICTURE:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series! Colors are indeed slightly on the lower-saturated side compared to a modern Biogon T* etc. but I like the rendering very much.
It's all looking very sharp and natural. Great lens!

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:42 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As often, it really depends on the copy so it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Alpa mount also Reply with quote

Two varieties, R1 and R11. At least one R11 of the first, non-preset type, (no 398141) was apparently produced in an Exacta mount and then equipped by a fixed Alpa mount. Looks like a factory job, same finish and firmly attatched, not a loose adapter.Same flimsy coating.

p.

p.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
As often, it really depends on the copy so it seems.

+1 ... I got some fresh news from the owner of the lens i tested ... A few months after my sample shots, the inner group of the lens
has become really hazy (probably an adhesive issue), and now his lens is totally useless ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Stan, that lens has a really nice rendering! Your daughter has a fantastic, moody pose in the last shot Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Nice shots Stan, that lens has a really nice rendering! Your daughter has a fantastic, moody pose in the last shot Laughing

Laughing
if eyesight was microwaves, Stan's camera would have been ashes after Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="luisalegria"]Rare item that one.

The Angenieux 35/2.5 is fairly common in Exakta mount, but the one for Rectaflex is something else. /quote]

Recently, I just acquired a Angenieux 35mm f2.5 original was in Rectaflex mount, the previous owner modified to Leica R mount. Is this lens different from the Exakta mount one? My is a quite nice copy. Thx!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Rare item that one.

I recently acquired this lens originally was in Rectaflex mount, then the previous owner modified to Leica R mount. It’s a quite nice copy. What Is the difference between the Rectaflex mount one from the Exakta mount one. Thx!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this lens a lot. It has the kind of sharp bokeh that I prefer, although the Isco Westromat 35mm f2.8 beats it for both the sharpness and the "look" IMO. Here is the Angenieux first and Westromat second. Not exactly equivalent, but FWIW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog
It's a beautiful bokeh