Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux 35-70mm Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Angenieux 35-70mm Repair Reply with quote

Hi All

…and a very happy holiday season!

I wonder if I can impose on you for a lens repairperson recommendation. I find myself with a copy of the Angenieux 35-70 zoom (Leica R mount) whose aperture is stuck at f22. The lens is seemingly in decent shape otherwise. If it were stuck wide open, I would just use it that way, but I can't do much with a full-time f22 lens.

I've heard the urban legends about this lens – how its polycarbonate construction makes it fearfully difficult (borderline impossible) to repair. But as with most urban legends, I don't know how much truth there is in the tale.

I have a local fellow who's excellent for the routine stuff, but this is above his pay grade. I've also used one of the top-tier U.S. lens people for a few selected projects. He would be willing to tackle the Angenieux, but he hasn't worked on that model before, and he made a point of saying that he couldn't guarantee success. Another consideration: his fee would be equal to roughly half the lens's retail value. That's a lot to spend when there's no assurance of a positive outcome.

So I'm hoping someone can suggest a technician who has some familiarity with this lens (or with Angenieux lenses of that era generally). I would even be satisfied to find out that the problem is incurable – at least that way I wouldn't be investing heavily in a hopeless undertaking.

I'm located in the USA, but I would gladly send the lens anywhere for service.

Thanks very much for your help!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those lenses can last pretty long if you take good care of them. My copy in Nikon mount works flawless before and after I sold it to my friend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the reply! Did you have any thoughts on a possible repair resource for this lens?

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. I am not lived in the US.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have solved that problem. I also learnt that the polycarbonate material are easy to crack when the technicians try to open the lens, causing you note some of these lens having cracks on its barrel.