Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An Unusual Vivitar 85-205 Two Touch Pre-Set T Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: An Unusual Vivitar 85-205 Two Touch Pre-Set T Mount Reply with quote

There are a great number of different styles and types of the Vivitar 85- 205 f/3.8 two touch lens out there. Just when you think you've seen them all....along comes an odd duck you've not seen before.

Take this one...Pre-Set....T mount...A window for the aperture number....an arrow and triangle for the stop down ring...Kiron made in ??1978???. A T mount pre-set...that late in the Kiron run??

Anyway here are the photos...first with the Bright Band and Chrome Nose versions for comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: An Unusual Vivitar 85-205 Two Touch Pre-Set T Mount Reply with quote

Congrats but
1- the serial number seems on you pic for the silver nose to start with 35 or 36 ? right /false ?
2- Manufacturing date would more be 1968 rather than 1978

Last edited by PBFACTS on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking lenses! How long before you've collected ALL the Vivitars? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: An Unusual Vivitar 85-205 Two Touch Pre-Set T Mount Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Congrats but
1- the serial number seems on you pic for the silver nose to start with 35 or 36 ? right /false ?

That is the problem...from my understanding...Vivitar started that serial number system about 1970...I would have put all three of those lens as pre 1970 myself but then there is this one with the (68???) serial number. The more I know .... The more I find out that I don't know!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Great looking lenses! How long before you've collected ALL the Vivitars? Wink

I'm trying but am bumping up against the rapid rise in prices of some of these.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find !

And quite uncommon I think, I certainly haven't seen it - or more likely failed to notice it.

A bunch of the 1960's zooms were initially introduced as presets, and later reissued in automatic mounts, or the different types were for a time sold in parallel, including, that I know of, models by Tokina, Tamron, Sigma and Sun.

So now we know that this Kiron also was in that category.

As for the serial number - this one certainly could be 1970 or a bit later, as it has the "22" Kiron serial number. Vivitar certainly was still selling presets at that time, in parallel with automatics.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Nice find !

And quite uncommon I think, I certainly haven't seen it - or more likely failed to notice it.

A bunch of the 1960's zooms were initially introduced as presets, and later reissued in automatic mounts, or the different types were for a time sold in parallel, including, that I know of, models by Tokina, Tamron, Sigma and Sun.

So now we know that this Kiron also was in that category.

As for the serial number - this one certainly could be 1970 or a bit later, as it has the "22" Kiron serial number. Vivitar certainly was still selling presets at that time, in parallel with automatics.

I was flabbergasted when I first saw it in the ebay add. I'm thinking...that can't be a pre-set 85-205! But zooming in I saw it was and in T mount. Quite unusual and one I'd never even heard of....so I counted part way to ten and bid. Can hardly wait to try it out as I do like pre-sets for their bokeh. This one looks to have 8 or more iris blades. Hard to count as it is so far recessed in the lens. More to come later as I'm taking it to work to do a precision weigh on it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: An Unusual Vivitar 85-205 Two Touch Pre-Set T Mount Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
There are a great number of different styles and types of the Vivitar 85- 205 f/3.8 two touch lens out there. Just when you think you've seen them all....along comes an odd duck you've not seen before.

Beyond the three above, have you seen this style?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BD I just realised I have an all black version,inbuilt pull out hood,fixed M42 mount with the serial 22008542...unfortunately it has haze or fungus in the back internal element.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really beginning to think that the serial number code was created before 1970, probably in the late 60s. The 'chrome' bits simply scream 1960s, as many manufacturers also used chrome trim at that time, eventually moving to all-black around 1970. Also, if the lens were to actually have been made in 1978, it would have rubber-gripped zoom and focus rings.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: An Unusual Vivitar 85-205 Two Touch Pre-Set T Mount Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Congrats but

Yes the serial number is a 35XXXX. Not one of the normal serial numbers for a Vivitar but rather one from the period before the serial numbers for post 1970 lens started.

The Vivitar Chrome Nose family is here.

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-gangs-all-here-the-vivitar-chrome-nose-family-t31854.html

Last edited by Big Dawg on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew G. wrote:
I'm really beginning to think that the serial number code was created before 1970, probably in the late 60s. The 'chrome' bits simply scream 1960s, as many manufacturers also used chrome trim at that time, eventually moving to all-black around 1970. Also, if the lens were to actually have been made in 1978, it would have rubber-gripped zoom and focus rings.

But I have another unusual one from what I thought was pre-1970 and it has rubber focus grip and pre-set rings. Plus a T mount with the same knurling, making it another anomaly! LOL

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-rare-vivitar-250mm-f-4-5-pre-set-lens-t32587.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: An Unusual Vivitar 85-205 Two Touch Pre-Set T Mount Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:

Yes..I have the close focus version of that one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Hey BD I just realised I have an all black version,inbuilt pull out hood,fixed M42 mount with the serial 22008542...unfortunately it has haze or fungus in the back internal element.

A camera shop should be able to clean that up Moira....or at least tell you if it can be cleaned.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Andrew G. wrote:

But I have another unusual one from what I thought was pre-1970 and it has rubber focus grip and pre-set rings. Plus a T mount with the same knurling, making it another anomaly! LOL

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-rare-vivitar-250mm-f-4-5-pre-set-lens-t32587.html

Yes, quite the anomaly indeed. It definitely pre-dates the known serial number code, definitely making it a thing of the 60s. As for the rubber bits, it probably has more to do with the OEM.. which most likely isn't Kiron. Everything else up to about 1975 has metal-gripped rings.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: An Unusual Vivitar 85-205 Two Touch Pre-Set T Mount Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:

How does it compare to the others, would you say?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: An Unusual Vivitar 85-205 Two Touch Pre-Set T Mount Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:

How does it compare to the others, would you say?

Sharper by a little bit. Color about the same. I'm looking for the Macro Focusing version now and then plan to get one of the Plain Jane ones later. Tons of those (plain janes)out there and up for auction every day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar Automatic 85-205mm Zoom - 1969 by Nesster, on Flickr

This one's got a serial number 35657! But it mentions that it comes in various camera mounts, and also in a preset T mount

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the reference to pistol grips and cables refers to the popular Sun 85-210, the early semi-automatic version of which was indeed sold with these. Nice find !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg, you're sick Laughing

...but dang, you do this disease so well Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be false alarm but the style is similar to some Sun (=Sigma?) YS series (various focal lengths like 85-210/4.5)

similar is the complicated, convoluted design with lots of protruding conic diagonal 30°/45° scales, the big | indicating focus distance followed by some more red markings for selected focal lengths (possibly IR markers)

it isn't two-touch though, if that is meaning to focus on two rings (coarse and fine-tuned or something), there is only one focus ring, and an A/M ring over the aperture ring; colors and marker style aren't really the same either
I heard sun made some weird two-touch lenses either but I always got overbid on these.

Does that thing have inbuilt, collapsible (ie. shift-it-out for use) flare protection too?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this is most certainly a two-touch, I have one and have seen plenty of others, and any of the owners can say the same.

This is an extremely common series of lenses, the basic lens was supplied in many different external finishes and of course was sold under many brands and mounts. These were sold for a period of at least ten years. There were also close focus variants, preset variants, etc.

And the maker was also most definitely Kino/Kiron.

The Sun lens (made by Sun indeed) you are referring to, the 85-210 f/4.5 was a contemporary of this one, and it was also made in many variants, including preset, semi-automatic, full automatic, etc., was sold for many years and was sold under many brands and mounts, including in later days YS interchangable mounts as Sun was part of the consortium that adopted these - the others being Sigma of course, but also Sankyo.

The third extremely common lens of the period - late 1960's-mid 1970's - was the Tokina-made 90-230 f/4.5, also made in many styles, sold under many brands, etc. etc.

These three are possibly the most popular third party lenses ever made. There certainly are always plenty of them on ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you for the information. For some reason I got the impression that Sun = early Sigma, but I these are older than I am, so I wasn't around back then.

Forgot to add 'long pipe' impression (there's about 2 inches "base pipe" between aperture and focal length / focusing rings)

Also forgot to add the old thread about these sun lenses (with image)

http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-y-s-60-135-f3-5-zoom-t29962.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the lens the ad is referring to I think, with the point about "no external pistol grips and cable releases needed"-

http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-85-210-4-8-preset-t-mount-zoom-with-pistol-grip-t12610,highlight,%2Bsun.html

I have since found that this Sun lens was made in more styles and brands than I knew of at the time. I have somewhat revised my opinion of it, but I still rate the Kiron/Vivitar considerably better.

The Sun 60-135 is an excellent lens in my opinion. I think its up there with the Kiron 70-150 f/3.8, the "little brother" of the 85-205

http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-60-135-3-5-zoom-1970s-bling-t10930,highlight,%2Bsun.html