Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An unusual Canon mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: An unusual Canon mount Reply with quote

The other day I was playing with the newly arrived lenses, when one of them refused to go into the adapter. This happens sometimes when an FD adapter is taken off while still locked, but it was the case here: when I flipped the lens it turned out that the automatic aperture lever is enclosed in some sort of a protective shroud.

It was definitely of Canon's making.

I thought for a bit about how to deal with it, and decided to go with the brute force - in the worst case scenario I'd need to replace the mount, and I've got some potential donors. Well, I did not even need to be all that brutal - it popped out almost right away - as you can see it was held in place by a notch and a dab of glue. The lens can be used now, and I saw something I haven't encountered before.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: An unusual Canon mount Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
... when I flipped the lens it turned out that the automatic aperture lever is enclosed in some sort of a protective shroud.

It was definitely of Canon's making.

I thought for a bit about how to deal with it, and decided to go with the brute force - in the worst case scenario I'd need to replace the mount, and I've got some potential donors. Well, I did not even need to be all that brutal - it popped out almost right away - as you can see it was held in place by a notch and a dab of glue.

Well sussed Smile

My kind of engineering Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen something like that before. What was the lens model?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adaptor you removed is a Canon accessory for it's FD lenses. It is fitted over the aperture lever so that when the lens is reverse mounted on a camera for macro photography the aperture can be opened and closed manually using the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
The adaptor you removed is a Canon accessory for it's FD lenses. It is fitted over the aperture lever so that when the lens is reverse mounted on a camera for macro photography the aperture can be opened and closed manually using the aperture ring.

That kind of makes sense but does not Canon already have a device for that - you know, the one that look like cap with a hole in it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
Never seen something like that before. What was the lens model?

It was a 135/2.8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

That kind of makes sense but does not Canon already have a device for that - you know, the one that look like cap with a hole in it?

Yes, I think they provided the same function.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Gardener wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

The cap with the hole in the center protects the back of the lens when the latter is reverse mounted for macro photography. Forthermore, it acts like a sunshade to reduce stray light.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Gardener wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

The cap with the hole in the center protects the back of the lens when the latter is reverse mounted for macro photography. Forthermore, it acts like a sunshade to reduce stray light.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon called this little thing a "Manual Diaphragm Adapter". New FD lenses – except for dedicated macro lenses – did not have the aperture lever lock switch or lock position which some of the breech-lock FD lenses still had.

The cap with a hole was called a "Macro Hood". There were two versions of it: One with a pin on the inside that enabled manual aperture control (second picture, left-hand side, pin at 12 o'clock position) and one without (second picture, right-hand side). To attach it, the hood with the pin has to be rotated counter-clockwise a bit (that's the direction of actuating the aperture lever) before it slips into the lens mount and is fastened clockwise as any cap. That's why it has the second marking at the 5 o'clock position.

While the hood can only be used with reversed lenses, the Manual Diaphragm Adapter can also be used for enabling manual aperture control with uncoupled extension tubes/rings.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fdlenses wrote:
Canon called this little thing a "Manual Diaphragm Adapter".

Thanks, I guess what threw me off was that it was glued on. I thought it was a factory mod.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it glue? Or was some gunk dried on it?
I actually never seen this accessory before, I have seen the reverse hood long time ago, interesting...
I know the SSC and earlier FD's typically have an aperture lever detent that will hold the lever in the engaged position which activates the aperture ring, to my knowledge the nFD lenses don't have this feature.