Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An Applescript for quickly setting (some) EXIF data
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: An Applescript for quickly setting (some) EXIF data Reply with quote

Not sure whether this is the right forum, in case some mod will move the post.

I wrote an Applescript app (so, Mac only) that makes it very easy to customize lens name (Lens field), focal length (FocalLength field) and aperture (F-Number field) in EXIF metadata of one or more pictures. The main aim is making life easier for photographersusing old manual focus lenses on their digital cameras (e.g., me Smile ) .

The script is based on the great EXIFtool program by Phil Harvey: download and install it before using the script.

The way I've chosen to set data is very simple: you have to modify the name of the app with the data you want to put on your files (e.g., call it "Sonnar 135/3.5;135;5.6"). Then you drop picture files on it, and metadata are changed according to app name. If you have many lenses, you just duplicate the app, and set each name as you wish.

Some more info, plus download, here: http://www.dellamea.it/docs/QuickEXIF.php

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Many thanks!!

You're welcome. I do not know how many mac users there are among MFers, anyway what the script do is simply encapsulating a line command of exiftool that can be used on any other system:

Code:
exiftool -Lens='lensname' -FocalLength='XXX' -FNumber='Y.Y' filename

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have quiet a lot Mac users in USA , you work is very useful.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Mac user reporting (from Finland), thankful for this post Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this also work for RAW files, or JPEG only?
I just wonder why Aperture won't let you change this metadata.
Anyone knows if it is possible in Lightroom?

If I find some time, I would like to develop a Graphical User Interface in Cocoa (Mac) for this kind of stuff.
EXIFTool is great. It probably supports changing metadata in RAW files, so the difficult issues are solved.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
Does this also work for RAW files, or JPEG only?

RAW too (at least for RAW formats supported by EXIFtool).
Canon DPP still shows the objective set by adapter, I suppose because identified in some other EXIF field. However, FNumber and ApertureValue are set, as well as lens (you may check in Preview).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that for 2 years with a windows perl script, I used drag & drop for batch
it was quite slow for raw files and now I prefer to just change the iptc keyword in bridge, work very fast and enough for my stat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Version 1.1 Reply with quote

I did a quick modification to the script, in order to set file creation date equal to the creation date found among EXIF tags.
Download is, as before, here: http://www.dellamea.it/docs/QuickEXIF.php .
I left also version 1.0 for people preferring to have the file date modified by the script.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just released an updated version of the script (1.3) because it seemed not to work correctly in OSX Mavericks (and maybe Mountain Lion too).
Some more info, plus download, here: http://www.dellamea.it/docs/QuickEXIF.php