Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Alternative focussing screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Alternative focussing screens Reply with quote

Seen the following on dpreview and thought I'd post a link up here. It looks like someone has come up with an alternative that still has focus 'dots' confirmation on a Canon(albeit a bit duller )

http://www.focusingscreen.com/covering_letter.htm

price seems to be ~$80 but I believe its only available for shipping within Taiwan. Anyone got a contact over there?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative focussing screens Reply with quote

entwisi wrote:
price seems to be ~$80 but I believe its only available for shipping within Taiwan. Anyone got a contact over there?

Not directly, no, but I have friends in SG that have friends there, some
have both friends and family by marriage that would vouch for me. They
would then send it directly from Taiwan to me. A little speed bump the
first time, after that, no problem. Of course, they would send to anyone
else via my contacts in SG.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, I'm getting more and more tempted, let me run it past SWMBO[1]

Looking at teh website they 'look' easy enough to fit, anyone done one?

Ian

[1] She Who Must Be Obeyed aka The Wife!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think this focusing screen is different or perhaps better than Haoda,Katz-Eye or "noname" what are available on Ebay? I study this subject and I found Katz-Eye will be my choice for my Olympus E-1. May I wrong, what is your opinion ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first focusing screen was a "no name" one. Virtualvillage, from e-bay. A real headache. I've put the original one (Canon) back and I abandoned to think that that chinese cheap screen can be used. Finally, I purchased a Haoda. It's OK, but it works only if you have the aperture wide open. For example, on my Vivitar 400/f6.3, doesn't works. It's too dark for Haoda. So... a little disapointed. Lookig forward for KatzEye. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Angel! You made my decision stronger to by Katz-Eye focusing screen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Virtual Village Focusing screen. It never fits right in first few try. I think, either thickness or size is different from Canon. ANd funny part is, if you try few times, you will eventually make it go... but the frustration plus opening the camera screen mechanism is not a fun.
Unless you really want to play with camera, I will not recommend these third party screens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So seems no other way just Katz-Eye. Do you have experience with that ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
I am using Virtual Village Focusing screen. It never fits right in first few try. I think, either thickness or size is different from Canon. ANd funny part is, if you try few times, you will eventually make it go... but the frustration plus opening the camera screen mechanism is not a fun.
Unless you really want to play with camera, I will not recommend these third party screens.

I was considering buying that focusing screen, as i was about to buy a M42 adapter from them too and it was very cheap, but i finally decided against doing it, as i've heard some people say those 3rd party screens mess with the light metering... besides fast lenses shouldn't be too difficult to focus i guess... i'm waiting to recieve a mamiya sekor 55mm 1.4 soon, my first mf lens. I'll see if I can focus properly soon Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered an Katz-Eye focusing screen let me a couple of weeks and I will give you some information how does it works.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the VirtualVillage screen too. I agree with Ballu it took a while to fit it properly, but now it is and I'm practised in using it, I find the AF-confirm beep is often not needed. I'd buy the same again, no problem.

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I ordered an Katz-Eye focusing screen let me a couple of weeks and I will give you some information how does it works.

Attila, you will not be disappointed. All the Nikon shooters that ordered
the Katz-Eye at Nikon Cafe love theirs! From what I hear it is the brightest
and the best, but it should be: it costs more than any other!

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound is very good! Thank you Bill! I read what you said on Katz-Eye site good to hear same from an independent source. Price is not very important factor compare digital camera values and lens collection. I ordered for Olympus E1, I satisfied 100% with Nikon D50 focus confirmation. Viewfinder of Olympus E1 pretty cool, but not enough to catch right focus perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:

Hi!. I ordered one of those before finding this nice site... So at least I shall try it.
The problem is that I'm unable to fit the new screen in place of the old one.
When you said It never fits right in first few try, did you mean one has to trim it out to make it fit in place?.
This is mine: (The left one is the Canon, the right one is the V.Village). My camera is a Canon 350D (Digital Rebel XT).

Thanks in advance!
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you an answer in other thread.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I sent you an answer in other thread.

Thanks!, I got it. Sorry to double post, but I'm quite new here... Wink

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem at all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

First, almost if not all alternative focus screen makers are using existing brand new screens from welll know camera manufacturers that are then CNC micromachine cutted to fit dSLR.

I've emailed some questions to the focusingscrens.com guy's, and their screens looks like better than most of all other available (Virtual Village, Haoda, KatsEyes) because of using better brand new screen.

Focusingscreens said that Katz Eye use Nikon K3 screen and Haoda Minolta X700 one's. All their own production is detailed here :

http://www.focusingscreen.com/test.htm

As you can see, they are not hidding such a fact and so, you can choose a screen that you may already know on some film SLR of full frame dSLR.

About the "350D red dot AF confirm point", as far as I can trust the Google Translation service, you should not think that you will retrieve them with their dedicated 350D screens.
They have done 6 tiny hole using laser on the AF positions (all but not the 3 vertical center ones), is such a way you can see where is AF can do the focus, according your own AF dot choice. Clearly, you will not retrieve the red dot but you can see where the AF will do the focus.

You can see on the last image from the following page a focusing screen will all the AF dots illuminated :

http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/canon_aps_doc.htm

Hope this help, indeed I would like to order one of their screen but first I would like to know more about the real focusing scren they use, if anyone have used them :

Nikon F6-A, F6-J, F6-L and K-3
Canon Ec-A, Ec-B and Ec-L

Sorry for my bad english...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, but is there a way to get an English page?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read chinese at all, so I'm using Google translation service (Chinese to English BETA) here :

http://www.google.com/language_tools

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Hoada Reply with quote

I just purchased a screen from Hoada, should have it in next few days. When I ordered, he told me that he is on 3rd generation now. Once it's installed and I have played with it I will be posting a review. Also, he was the only vendor that replied back to an email question and gives 100% money back guarantee. Will post results soon....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recieved my screen last night from Hoada. It was very easy to install, took about 5 minutes. First impressions: It is clear and much brighter than the stock Canon 400D screen. The splits start to go black at f/11 and completely black at f/16 (very useable). Focus was spot on with no need for adjustments. When I put on my junk AF lenses, I could tell that they have a slight front focus issue- that is EASILY corrected now!!!
I will be going out shooting tomorrow morning and will post some of the shots in the gallery and on my flickr site. I will give a more detailed review of this new 3rd Generation screen after playing more and whether or not it was really worth it. First glance is very promising.
More soon......