Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Alsfeld...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Alsfeld... Reply with quote

Alsfeld is a small German town with a very nice old part.
Last sunday, on mother's day, we went there for a short walk and some ice cream. Wink

Of course, I brought my camera. I wanted to try my "new" Kiron 2.0/28. Pretty good lens, that is!

The first 4 photos were taken with the Kiron.

And those two pics were shot with the Zenitar 2.8/16 (which needed to get some fresh air again...). PP with PTLens.

Hope you like them...

Carsten

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work on those old city details, Carsten. It's always nice to have those glimpses at hand when one goes out with the camera!

F=2 is a remarkable speed for a wide angle, how does it perform wide open?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a cool city ! Absolutely nice work Carsten! I love this old cities much! Can you tell me where is the exact location ? I am afraid you have more than one cities with this name.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

You can use this link, Attila: http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.754457&lon=9.271471&z=14.1&r=0&src=ggl
It is about 3/4 of an hour driving from the place we live.

BTW, in picture 3 you see an old pillory.
Nowadays there is a restaurant called "Zum Pranger" (Pranger = pillory). Nice place to eat, isn't it? Wink

@Orio: Yes, f2 is not bad for 28mm. This is the reason why I bought it. I already have really good 28mm lenses: Vivitar 2.8/28 (Komine), Vivitar 2.5/28 (Kiron), Pentax SMC 2.8/28 (and the Canon EF 2.8/28 is not bad either).
But f2 was a good reason. Plus, I got it for € 10,-
Now, to your question: It is pretty good wide open. I yet have to do some really telling shots, but the first ones were more than promising.
This Kiron 2.0/28 has got a PK-mount.

This is what it looks like at my Ricoh:

Carsten

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice ones. Only thing I'm not sure about is the absence of colours.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Michael, this is always a point of discussion.
I am a black&white fan and esp. for this sujet I need to transfer the pics into b&w. It is just my personal preference, my bias. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic's, love the B&W!

I sure need a zenitar!!

Guido

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great B&W series, Carsten! Lots of detail and exposures are spot-on!
Hard to pick a favorite since they are all good captures, but I especially
like the first one, should be in a travel book! Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are nice Smile

I noticed something weird though, where are all the people? looks like a quiet town...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDN wrote:
these are nice Smile
I noticed something weird though, where are all the people? looks like a quiet town...

Actually, you have been very good in focusing on this! Because there was something that felt unusual for me too in these photographs, but I could not focus on it. Yes, where is the people, and I would also add, where are the cars, bicycles, etc., as I can only see a couple of cars in the far background of the last picture!

Maybe the historical part of the city is closed to traffic?
But that would not explain the absence of walking people anyway!

Now that with your help I focused better, I have to say that the atmosphere in these pictures feels quite surreal - it somehow reminds me of an old British TV series (I am talking of the 60s or 70s, can't remember), where there was this huge epidemy and almost everyone died except for a few survivors, who walked in the barren streets of these countryside villages.

This does not detract from the beauty of Carsten's pictures, it just maybe gives them a twist in an unexpected direction!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

This does not detract from the beauty of Carsten's pictures, it just maybe gives them a twist in an unexpected direction!

Yep, thats the exact feeling I got with these photos too. Very mysterious Smile
Like it's a ghosttown...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDN wrote:
Orio wrote:

Yep, thats the exact feeling I got with these photos too. Very mysterious Smile
Like it's a ghosttown...

The B&W also accentuates that IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's cool this way. It's like "The Omega Man" euro-style! Laughing
People would interfere with the clean lines of the buildings. In B&W, it
does give it a creepy aspect, like a virulent biological agent was let
loose and this is the aftermath.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super pictures.

Just before you shared them, I ordered a Zenitar. Now I an even more happy about that.

Can not wait Razz

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really lovely photos. My friend has an Zenitar lens. I plan to buy one myself. Its really nice lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this thread has moved into an interesting direction... Smile

1) No people: Yes, this is kind of striking, isn't it. Actually, I shot those photos without people on purpose. As fas as I am concerned, I either shoot street photography (with people) or architecture (concentrating on the visual effect or even impact that buildings have and thus if possible without people). Still, I find it interesting that these pics create this impression you mention of a deserted city. This was not intended. Wink

2) Zenitar: Excellent lens. You really should get it! Lahnet, I'm sure you will like it. For Zenitar-users I can strongly recommend PTLens - great program!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zenitar shot is very nice, I love this lens.
Shot one and two are great examples of what your new lens can do. An f2 28mm is well worth having in the bag.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
Shot one and two are great examples of what your new lens can do. An f2 28mm is well worth having in the bag.

That's right, Rob. I was really happy when I found this lens and I can definitely recommend it, esp. for a crop-DSLR. I mean, at my 350D it's somewhat similar to a 2.0/45...

And thanks again, Rob, for the PTLens recommendation! It is such a great application.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what an excellent series.
Now I know which very wide lens to get.

Thanks

Jules