Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aldis Projection Lens f3.2 100mm on Sony a850
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Aldis Projection Lens f3.2 100mm on Sony a850 Reply with quote

A small Petzval type I picked up for pennies. I think it's uncoated. Sharpness is not bad at all, bokeh is very smooth. There was no light when I took these samples, just more of the horrid gray weather we are cursed with here so I will have to wait for better weather to really try this lens out, but it looks promising.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not bad from an 'unknown' lens indeed Aldi is a German discount chain in my country. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some proper Petzval effects there.
Is it my imagination or is the center "sweet spot" a bit off center ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldis was quite common in Britain. The firm were camera and lens makers and dealers also, plus lots of lighting and photography equipment, and projection lenses like this. They had a lot of patents.
A household word also as one of the Aldis brothers invented the Naval signal lamp and all of these were called an Aldis, like copiers were called Xerox or vaccums were called Hoover.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Aldis were quite a big company, lenses were just part of their products, they were famous for their signalling lamps:

luisalegria wrote:

Not sure how big the sweet spot and image circle is, it certainly covers 24x36 well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly loves the colours, especially the reds that so often bleed into a horrible mess. The first picture is excellent, and the skins tones on the portrait of your dad are good. Perhaps this lens suits the gloom, which we have as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, this looks good indeed! Just a bit contrast enhancement and you should be good to go!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. Today the weather is atrocious, almost no light at all, heavy rain, but fingers crossed I get to play with this lens some more soon as I really like it.