Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aldis 35cm/f:4 - an exercise in futility
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Aldis 35cm/f:4 - an exercise in futility Reply with quote

This is an epidiascope projection lens I bought some while ago with the intention of building a home cinema box using some of the other gear I have lying around - the mercury vapour lamps. It was just sitting doing nothing and I thought I'd give it a go on the Canon.

The P6 bellows came in handy again, as did a piece of 110mm soil pipe for the lens tube and hood as you can see...

Unfortunately, the images were pretty crap. I put this down to the reflections from the interior of the lens hood and the plastic pipe. Next time I'll line the pipe with matt black paint or paper.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brave attempt Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!
I am impressed.
Yes, the pics recall the kind of portragon, it´s the same way, but your construction is XXXL.
regards Peter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressed with your technical ingenuity!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HURRAAAAYYYYHHH to the inventor of the duct tape!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
HURRAAAAYYYYHHH to the inventor of the duct tape!!!

And the cable tie - blessings be upon him Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... I like the first one???

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!!! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one's sort of pleasing to the eye - it has a painterly quality. Like Degas on bad rum Smile I do like the telephoto compression quality - the front gate is at least 50m from the middle fence.
I wish I'd thought to shoot closer to the gate, and get it out of the way, but these were only tests.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inside of the pipe probably does need some baffling.... Edmund has some great velvet-flocked paper, but it's not cheap and might be a little out of the spirit of the project. A cheaper alternative might be adhesive-backed black felt from the hobbies section at Wal Mart or someplace similar, it should do a good job of killing reflections off the tube wall.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black matte laquer mixed with sand works quite well, too, to prevent reflexions.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some matt black bike exhaust paint and fireblack stove paint, which is definitely more in spirit with the project, ie. cheap Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is of course very impressive !

Another advantage of this project is that you have solved technical problems that would apply to any other lens of similar type or size, so its now possible to consider mounting other odd glass that may work better.

I want your bellows by the way.