Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aires Coral 4.5cm f1.5 on NEX A7mii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Aires Coral 4.5cm f1.5 on NEX A7mii Reply with quote

I was inspired by the beautiful work Kymarto demonstrated in his recent post on the Aires Coral 4.5 cm f/1.5. I decided to give my copy a go.

Here are some flower pics with the lens mounted on a Sony A7Mii via an adapter sourced from Ebay seller ramir. As reported earlier, the lens is glowy wide open, and it flares easily, but it has interesting bokeh and nice color rendition - kind of cool. I find it a perfect match for flowers - and I find it works well on the A7. My original Aires 35-V set with 3 lenses, hoods, caps, instructions, and fitted case is shown.

Highly recommended when a pictorial kind of image is desired.

P.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!
And weird.
I just found mine, on my Aires 35V with non working rangefinder.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see some samples without heavy editing!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Cool!
And weird.
I just found mine, on my Aires 35V with non working rangefinder.

Thanks, Luis.

It is indeed weird. The bokeh goes from nervous (i.e., the grass in the pic of the small white flowers to rather smooth like in the pic of the purple pansy. It's difficult to control and pre-visualize.

The adapter I am using allows some minimal close-focus, so the already thin depth-of-field is made that much thinner. The lack of contrast wide open also makes focus peaking on the Sony difficult to use as well. As usual for these kind of shots, a strong off-axis light on a colorful background with a close focus of the main subject seems to be the main components of the recipe.

The kit is really nice - a very quirky camera to use. The lenses are all stand-alone - there are no lens elements in the camera body, but the tele has a separate focus scale and action. The front-mounted selector knob that looks like a slow shutter speed dial is actually the film rewind switch/! Everything works on my copy, except the meter - which is a little wonky - as 60+ years old selenium meters usually are.

Cheers!

Paul

P.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Nice to see some samples without heavy editing!

Thank you. I did only minor post processing in ACR and Photoshop:

1) warmed up the color temp (ACR)
2) small boost to clarity and contrast (ACR)
3) about 2 px of selective high pass sharpening with sharpening layer blended at about 40% in Overlay (PS)

Best,

Paul