Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aires Camera Tokyo S Coral 1:1.5 f=4.5cm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject: Aires Camera Tokyo S Coral 1:1.5 f=4.5cm Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

Been looking for one for some time now... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. I sold one to a fellow in Hong Kong a couple of years ago.
If I'd known you wanted it, you could have had it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Aires Camera Tokyo S Coral 1:1.5 f=4.5cm Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Aires Camera Tokyo S Coral 1:1.5 f=4.5cm

Just another thread on this lovely lens.

Framed in APS-C with contrast and saturation.

Nice. How was it adapted to your camera?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Huh. I sold one to a fellow in Hong Kong a couple of years ago.
If I'd known you wanted it, you could have had it!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos from a fun lens! Several sellers on Ebay make Sony E-mount adapters for this little beauty!

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Nice photos from a fun lens! Several sellers on Ebay make Sony E-mount adapters for this little beauty!

Paul

I have mounted several in different ways. I have the rarelens adapter, but find it rather clunky and doesn't focus close enough for me. I usually mount by securely taping into an M52 ring using PVC tape, and then screwing that into an M52 helicoid, which gives me infinity to very close up. I did the same using tape with a ring with an M42 helicoid, but unfortunately am not near either of those lenses to give more details.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Thanks everyone for the kind comments on these sample photos.

Yes, this lens is part of the Tokyo Kymarto collection. However, trademark super filter was disabled posthumously. This lens might located in a box below a shelf of Voigtlander Nokton Classic 40 / 1.4 and possibly a Re. Auto-Topcor 58 / f1.4.

As far as adapting, you will need to follow mflense guidelines or you risk voiding the warranty of user trust. This means the adapter must contain at least one piece of tape. Lens may or may not need to focus to infinity if you declare "perfect for flowers" either before or after adapting.

Wink

When good adapters don't exist, I like to mount things securely but not make any changes to the original lens. I have a couple of Aires V bodies that came with the lenses, and I'm thinking of taking one apart to try to use the original Aires bayonet, but the problem will certainly be to reduce the thickness enough to be able to mount on a 3rd party helicoid. The original helicoid has a very limited focusing range, since of course rangefinder cameras had to limit focusing range both for the rangefinder itself and for parallax.

Speaking of the Kymarto collection, I have neither the Nokton nor the Auto-Topcor, but I did spring for a 50mm f1.5 Nokton Prominent, which is very similar to the Aires lens (and in fact the Aires lens was almost certainly a copy of it. Here is a comparison schema of the two lenses:

Both are quite unique for having a doublet as the front positive element. The Aires is a classic double gauss otherwise. The Nokton has an air space between the second group, which formally changes everything, but in practice the lenses are almost identical. I shot some comparisions and was quite surprised at how similar the two lenses were in rendering--almost identical in terms of bokeh. The Nokton has better microcontrast, but a bit of glow around the highlights in the Aires is actually pleasing. Here are a few shots with the Nokton, which of course is also secured to its helicoid with PVC tape Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
I have mounted several in different ways. I have the rarelens adapter, but find it rather clunky and doesn't focus close enough for me. I usually mount by securely taping into an M52 ring using PVC tape, and then screwing that into an M52 helicoid, which gives me infinity to very close up. I did the same using tape with a ring with an M42 helicoid, but unfortunately am not near either of those lenses to give more details.

Tape is definitely a tried and true mounting procedure -and based on your great results, it obviously is an excellent solution! The neat thing about most of the fixed lens, leaf shutter 35mm RFs is that the lenses are often held in place by a simple retaining ring which can be accessed through the film door. This is certainly true for Retinas, Karats, etc. That said, I have found that boring a mounting hole in an M42 body cap and then screwing that into a thin M42 helical combined with a super slim M42-Emount ring works well, and doesn't require too much effort.

Best,

P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures, what an interesting lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
kymarto wrote:

Speaking of the Kymarto collection, I have neither the Nokton nor the Auto-Topcor, but I did spring for a 50mm f1.5 Nokton Prominent, which is very similar to the Aires lens (and in fact the Aires lens was almost certainly a copy of it. Here is a comparison schema of the two lenses:

Wow, 3 and 4 are amazing! Interesting, these two lenses do have a similar attitude towards light.

But the above photos are NOT from the Aires lens.

Thank you for sharing the lens diagram of both the Aires, and to the left its close neighbor which paints with a similar idea! Where did you find this diagram of the layout?

This guy has an interesting blog. Google Chrome will translate it automatically.

https://spiral-m42.blogspot.com/?m=1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:

Happy Dog

This shot really makes good use of the Aires 45/1.5 rendering. The natural bark pattern on the right is continued across to the left in bokeh highlights.

I have this lens and it's great fun. The slower f/1.8 version is much less exciting, though can create some nice swirl and bubbles.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote