Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Agfa Neutol?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Agfa Neutol? Reply with quote

Has anyone used the above and do you have samples? Found an
example off of flickr:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2114/2358543794_21edf9d06f_o.jpg

Hummm.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is (or was) the standard Agfa paper developer, and does not differ much from those from Ilford or Kodak. I suppose the print was developed in it rather than the film.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo, thanks. It looks good if I ever start printing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Neutal NE quite a lot and it's a standard print developer, Neutal WA gave warm tones when matched with suitable papers; I certainly miss Portriga!

Since you compound your solutions from raw chemicals, when you are to do printing, there would be no shortage of formulae for paper developers to try out. From a comparative test I conducted a few years ago, I found that Focal Universal is a good one for allround work at low cost, but MCM Winchester (original formula) gives outstanding results, perhaps even slightly better than Neutol.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele, thanks for the heads-up on the formulas. I'm a ways from doing
printing, but mixing raw chems is almost 2nd nature after my navy
experience.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you cannot find the recipes for the two paper developers I mentioned, here they are:

MCM Winchester

Metol 4.25g
Sodium sulphite (anhydrous) 50g
Hydroquinone 12.5g
Sodium carbonate (anhydrous) 100g
Potassium bromide 6.25g
Water to 1 litre

To use, dilute 1:3.

If you use sodium carbonate in monohydrate form, use 118.5g instead.

Personal notes taken after comparison test:

"This gives very brilliant, clean-looking prints on baryta papers. Light to mid greys appear to have extra separation, whites stay very bright, but highlight details, if too weak, can be brought out by methods like prior treatment in Ansco 120. Compared to standard developers such as Ilford MG, the blacks seem to have an extra depth which goes right into the paper."
____

Focal Universal

Metol 1g
Sodium sulphite (anhydrous) 25g
Hydroquinone 3.7g
Sodium carbonate (anhydrous) 25g
Potassium bromide 0.3g
Water to 1 litre

To use, dilute 1:1

If you use sodium carbonate in monohydrate form, use 30g instead.

Personal notes taken after comparison test:

"This behaves in a similar way as Ilford MG, but without the slight compression of mid greys. Development times should be a little longer, say an extra 50%."

Hope this is of interest.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele, thanks much for this! I'm going to bookmark this thread.
Actually, will see about printing this out, too.