Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AF Fuji X-Mount lenses,anyone use them?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: AF Fuji X-Mount lenses,anyone use them? Reply with quote

I have just bought a second hand Fuji XE-1 without the AF lens.

Does anyone have any opinions on how the Fuji AF lenses handle? I like to try to get at least one AF native lens for every camera that I buy.I am wondering which may be the "best" Fuji AF lens to seek out.Thanks very much for any opinions/thoughts given.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moira,

Congratulations!
Without a doubt the best XF lens to get would be the 35mm f1.4. Very Happy
I have this camera body and lens combo and works superbly in all respect.

See example this independent review:
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/07/20/review-fujifilm-35mm-f1-4-x-x-series-lens/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I have an X-E1, X-E2 and X-T1 at the mo Laughing

18/2 - Superb all rounder - small, fast aperture and sharp from wide open
23/1.4 - Fast to focus, very sharp across the frame at infinity but heavy - bit mis-matched to X-E series
27/2.8 - Another great one - small, very sharp across the frame from wide open
35/1.4 - Renders stunning images, a real cracker - slower AF though (no good for tracking!)
16-50mm/3.5-5.6 - Very sharp from wide open, light, lots of distortion auto-corrected in RAW at wider focal lengths, but very useful indeed!
18-55/2.8-4 - As sharp as the 16-50mm but with slightly less distortion, an aperture ring and better build. Felt too heavy on the X-E series (to me)
50-230/4.5-6.7 - Extremely sharp throughout the range, light. Focusing isn't too quick and it extends a bit which makes it look a bit cheap! Results are excellent though.

I'm into film presets at the mo BTW Laughing

18/2:

Mod!

Magaluf Spring Festival 2015 (1)

16-50mm:

Train poser

Lanzarote camels

23/1.4:

Classic Mini Cooper

New Forest Ponies cooling down

27/2.8:

New lens Daddy?

Playing the waiting game

35/1.4:

DSCF0615.jpg

In the smoke with Grandad

50-230mm:

On your trike!

The Gruffalo!

Canada goose gosling

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog I had to try this icon just to get it out of my system

Ok you worked the mo angle very well Laughing Thanks to both of you that was more than I expected, great info and images,many thanks.Looks like I will have to do some saving to buy an AF lens, now that's something I didn't think I'd have to do.Unfiortunately I can not try the camera with any of my MF lenses as my adapters are still coming from China.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Fuji XF lenses are superb!
(Don't have any XC, but there is no reason why they should be worse)
Most sense making allrounder is imo the 18-55mm:
If You own a pool of MF primes, a Zoom for all day use is more useful than one more 1,4 open lens.
I'm no fan of zoom lenses, but I can't see any difference in my pictures if zoom or fixed lens.

Crop factor of the X-series fujis and my wish for extreme wides forced me to get the 10-23mm, also a strong recommendation, if You are widefreak!

As a Zeissie like me one mo' suggestion is to get one of the Touits 12,35 or 50mm macro, but they are no bargains Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the price on the Touits, way out of my league,but I can dream.Thanks for the advice about a zoom as I have a few MF primes Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For wide angles, you can always for the cheaper Samsung 12mm f2
http://petapixel.com/2014/06/04/review-rokinon-12mm-f2-0-great-option-astrophotogs-budget/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samyang 12/2 is indeed excellent, very sharp across the frame indeed Smile

BTW I had the Zeiss Touit 32/1.8 and Fuji 35/1.4 at the same time and sold the Zeiss. The Fuji rendered better images and the Zeiss just wasn't very Zeissy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For very little money (well on the UK 'bay) you can get the superb 27mm lens, a really sharp cracker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good choice, suggest to have a 60mm/f2.4 macro.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 60/2.4 turns up a lot down here for reasonable to expensive prices on ebay.Thanks for showing a sample taken with it...post some more if you like Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
The 60/2.4 turns up a lot down here for reasonable to expensive prices on ebay.Thanks for showing a sample taken with it...post some more if you like Very Happy

Hi MO, I will. I don't use this lens as only a macro lens, it could be far more useful. Welcome Turtle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just own one AF lens for my X-E1, the Fujinon 35 1:1,4.
And I love it. This lens may make me buying more Fuji AF lenses in future.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MO I got something for you but unfortunately it's a rainy day, so please ignore the quality of these pics, just for your judgement.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many great images from the 35/1.4 even on a rainy day it performs well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
So many great images from the 35/1.4 even on a rainy day it performs well.

The 1.4/35 is the only AF Fujinon that I own Mo.
It is an excellent lens but as everyone else has said - the AF is slow.
The X-E1 is my go to camera now and I use it most of the time.
Adapters are so cheap and virtually every MF lens ever made will fit it one way or t'other
I am thinking of selling the Nikon or Pentax.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the XE-1 all the time,its such a joy to use. By slow do you mean its slower than if we were using a manual focus lens to focus?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I use the XE-1 all the time,its such a joy to use. By slow do you mean its slower than if we were using a manual focus lens to focus?

No faster for sure and slower than other digital camera auto focus systems that I have used.
Sometimes it frustrates me when I think that I could have manually done it quicker.
Beautiful optics though even from 1.4
OH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update,I have been watching out for a reasonably priced 35/1.4 (that fits my budget) but sadly all are still out of my price range. I will keep looking for that lens but in the mean time.... I have managed to snare the XF 18/2 for a good price. I hope to receive it by the end of the week,you all know the nervous wait for an incoming lens...that you really want to play with Smile

It's only my 3rd AF lens that I have bought since I have started buying lenses.