Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice - What 135mm to buy...? DONE
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Advice - What 135mm to buy...? DONE Reply with quote

I am now satisfied with the performance of my 50mm Takumar and Pancolar. Since I also own Zennitar 16mm, I believe next month - will be the month where I will buy a 135mm.

What lens would you recommend:

Cheap >25€
Medium 26-60
Expensive <61

I am thinking Jupiter 37, Tamron 135 2.8, Takumar and Zeiss but I am not sure about any of them.
Post your choice, if you feel like adding reasons and link please do Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Funny how I fast am getting more and more into MF. Not because I don´t own any good AF lenses but simply because it is more..... photolike Very Happy

Last edited by lahnet on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally you can't go wrong with any 135mm prime lens. This lens one of the most easier to make in good quality. Look at mflenses.com/gallery plenty of samples there Carl Zeiss Jena, Jupiter,Takumar,Nikkor, Meyer, Pentacon, Sears, Tamron ,Olympus OM etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Generally you can't go wrong with any 135mm prime lens. This lens one of the most easier to make in good quality. Look at mflenses.com/gallery plenty of samples there Carl Zeiss Jena, Jupiter,Takumar,Nikkor, Meyer, Pentacon, Sears, Tamron ,Olympus OM etc.

Attila said the truth.."difficult to go wrong with 135mm"
Only thing, what are you looking for. I think (I dont own), pentacon or CZJ 135mm has best bokeh and great sharpness... but prices have jumped above the roof.
In my opinion, Kiron made Vivitar is most underrated lens. I own two Soligor, both are great.
Or go for Super Takumar 135mm f3.5, Thats my fav... the prices are touching rock bottom for this lens.

We discussed about this focal length in one thread,

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?p=154&highlight=#154

Lot of good info...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice - What 135mm to buy...? Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
I am now satisfied with the performance of my 50mm Takumar and Pancolar. Since I also own Zennitar 16mm, I believe next month - will be the month where I will buy a 135mm.

What lens would you recommend:

Cheap >25€
Medium 26-60
Expensive <61

I am thinking Jupiter 37, Tamron 135 2.8, Takumar and Zeiss but I am not sure about any of them.
Post your choice, if you feel like adding reasons and link please do Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Funny how I fast am getting more and more into MF. Not because I don´t own any good AF lenses but simply because it is more..... photolike Very Happy

The Jupiter-37 you might find in your "cheap" categorie, also a Pentacon 2.8/135 - both lenses are fine ones (but I prefer the J37).
In your "medium" category you might find a Nikkor-Q.C 3.5/135 which I like a lot.
If you want to spend more than 60 € you can get almost all the lenses you like. The Leica 2.8/135 normally is the cheapest Leica lens you can get, for about € 100,- sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-37A would be the cheapest one but its performance is not cheap.

Pentacon 2.8/135 and SMC Takumar 3.5/135 are also good and not too expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't hesitate to suggest the Meyer Orestor 2.8/135 or CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135 if any of them fall within your budget.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice - What 135mm to buy...? Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
The Leica 2.8/135 normally is the cheapest Leica lens you can get, for about € 100,- sometimes.

But would the picture quality be that much better than a €25 J-37? The CZJ or Takumar 3.5/135s are also in the same league. All three are beautifully sharp, even wide open, but the J-37 wins for me, mainly because of the beautiful colours but I also like the non-click aperture ring, and of course the price! Smile The build quality of the Tak is well above the others I'd say.

The old preset 2.8 Orestor/Pentacon is also a good lens. As well as being a stop faster than the others, it has a 15-blade iris for beautiful bokeh highlights. However it's quite a lot bulkier and heavier. The later auto Pentacon 2.8 only has 6 blades and doesn't compete for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot one thing.

If you use Oly E-system, try Konica Hexanon AR 3.2/135, 3.5/135.
They are not expensive (my 3.5/135 is just $19.9) but their perfomace are superb.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice - What 135mm to buy...? Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
But would the picture quality be that much better than a €25 J-37? ...

I do not know, since I have not used the Leica 135mm lens. What I know is that any time you think there cannot be a better lens, a Leica pops in and there you go, it blows all the others away... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is the Jupiter-37 in any of its variations.
The price should range from as low as 7 Euros (what I paid for my first one) to a maximum of about 30-35 Euros, with average price around 20-25 Euros.
The quality of the lens is impeccable in my opinion.
It is, by far, my most recommended purchase.

If you want to spend more, there are several options, with prices depending on the speed, I have the Leica Elmarit-135 last version which is an astounding lens, aperture 2.8, I paid 200 Euros for a virtually new copy but I was very lucky, usually it costs more.

The Zeiss Contax are also very good options, the 2.8/135 should cost you around 200 Euros and it's a very good lens, not sharp as the Leica though (but with different qualities)

If you need a faster lens, and you are ready to spend even more, then my advice would be for the Zeiss Contax 2/135, if you are able to find one - it is a rare lens to find used because it was very expensive at the time. It is still expensive (I paid my copy around 500 Euros if I remember correctly) but you get what you pay for, because the lens wide open is almost as sharp as stopped down - you can really use the f/2 aperture and get incredible pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice - What 135mm to buy...? Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
peterqd wrote:

I do not know, since I have not used the Leica 135mm lens. What I know is that any time you think there cannot be a better lens, a Leica pops in and there you go, it blows all the others away... Wink

The Elmarit-135 is probably sharper than the Jupiter-37 although if you know the Jupiter-37 images, this seems difficult to believe.
But it does not kill the Jupiter-37. The Jupiter is very close for sharpness, and colour-wise it is -in my humble opinion- more pleasant than the Elmarit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors of Jupiter truly excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I just love this place.

I have added Jupitor 37A and CZJ Sonnar 3.5 to my wish list. If anyone is selling... well you know what to do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I have an absolute mint like new Sonar in my webshop for high price. If you want looks new lens I suggest to you to take it. If you need an every day lens, you can buy for less any time on Ebay. Quite common lens.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Advice - What 135mm to buy...? Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
peterqd wrote:

The Elmarit-135 is probably sharper than the Jupiter-37 although if you know the Jupiter-37 images, this seems difficult to believe.
But it does not kill the Jupiter-37. The Jupiter is very close for sharpness, and colour-wise it is -in my humble opinion- more pleasant than the Elmarit.

That is great to hear! And a huge praise for the J37 taken from a lens expert. (Shhh, Orio, you are!!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Thank you. I just love this place.

Well spoken! So do I!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All we need is money Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet,
Add this lens in your cheap category: Vivitar 135/2.8. I have 2 of these
and they perform exactly similar. These were made by Komine (serial
number starts with "28").

Here's a thread of mine using this lens to take pictures of my cat:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=845&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill's cat is a champ Smile (and so are the photos)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Bill's cat is a champ Smile (and so are the photos)

Well, my cat and I think Melissa's photos are pretty cool, too! Cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bougt 2 135mm.

CZJ 135mm 3.5 price 50$
I can´t go wrong here Smile

Tamron 135mm 2.8 price 35?
This one I think is very good, I have seen some samples.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure about CZJ Sonnar 135mm f3.5 superb lens. I am not sure about this old Tamron , I have same lens but newest one. Please share your experience with this Tamron.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!!!

Your CZJ is quite cheap, I can't find less than $70 in eBay.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CZJ arrived today and it looks good.

I am a little worried about the model. Can it be true the the name Carl Zeiss not is to be seen anywhere on the lens.