Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice - What 135mm to buy...? DONE
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
The CZJ arrived today and it looks good.
I am a little worried about the model. Can it be true the the name Carl Zeiss not is to be seen anywhere on the lens.

Do not worry, this is CZJ original.
There was a quarrel with Oberkochen Carl Zeiss for the use of the brand name and for a period it was agreed that lenses sold by Carl Zeiss Jena in the Western Europe would be marked without the Carl Zeiss name on them.
The agreement also was that in the Eastern Europe the Jena factory could use the full name and the Western Zeiss was not going to sell there, and for the rest of the world the agreement was that both factories would keep using their full names.
So what you have is a copy destined to western Europe market and therefore branded "aus Jena" without the Carl Zeiss name on it. But it's perfectly original, and I tell you something, I have two lenses branded this way and they perform better than the full branded CZJ equivalents. This may be just a coincidence obviously.

As for the "S" in the lens name, this stands for "Sonnar" which is absent for the same reason the Carl Zeiss name is absent ("Sonnar" is a Zeiss patented name)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add a little to Orio's info. The "aus Jena" helps date lenses, as the court case was settled in late 1970. Also the "electric" lenses like yours were designed for use on the Praktica VLC and later models with full-aperture metering, which were introduced in 1975 and I think VEB stopped lens production in Jena in 1979. Your copy is the final model of this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further expand on the above; during the 'aus Jena' years, a lot of Jena's lens production abbreviated the full name to either one or two letters, thus:

'T' = 'Tessar' - not be confused with the red T* mark on Oberkochen lenses.

'B' = 'Biotar'.

'Bm' = 'Biometar'.

The aforementioned 'S' for 'Sonnar'.

The Flektogon, and I believe, the Pancolar, were the only Jena lenses to keep their full names throughout and in the case of the Flek, up until it was remounted for the Praktica bayonet with the 'Flektogon' name then being replaced with 'Prakticar'.

I

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
"aforementioned"

Great! I love it when you native speakers use these words. A fantastic chance to brush up my English and increase my vocab. Cheers!