Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice re: routine maintenance of an older Leica lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Advice re: routine maintenance of an older Leica lens Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Leica R 180/3.4 APO Telyt, circa 1978 (one of the earliest of the E60 version). Cosmetically, it is in great condition with no visible internal dust, no oil on the diaphragm blades, looks like it wasn't overly used or abused and the focus ring turns smoothly and is nicely damped. Given it's age, should I send it out for a factory cleaning and lubrication anyway? I plan to swap out its mount with a Leitax for use on my Nikons.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you can leave it as it is - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" as the saying goes. Never used one of these, but it had a tremendous reputation when it came out. Good shooting!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Sounds like you can leave it as it is - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" as the saying goes. Never used one of these, but it had a tremendous reputation when it came out. Good shooting!

+100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+10.000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Maintenance Reply with quote

Light, occasional to frequent gentle use is the best maintenance. Store correctly etc.

Lucky you!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. No concern that the lubricants in the lens gum-up after 30 or 40 years?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Lube Reply with quote

Oh, YES!

Hence the frequent/occasional use! If it is used and all moving parts moved, then it will not gum up. Put it aside for more than a few years then ...... the chance increases that poor storage, dust entry and oxidizing lube will interfere with smooth operation of it.

Use it, once a month or so and all will be well, even partly restoring older, abused lenses.

Have fun!