Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice on Wide Angle Lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Advice on Wide Angle Lens? Reply with quote

I've been lurking these forums for about a month now (after discovering that I could use manual focus lenses on my cropped-frame Canon), and I've even made a few purchases based on many of the member posts and references available here (I started small with a couple 50mm lenses, which i already love more than the Sigma 1.4/30 i got with the camera). Seriously, this forum is an amazing wealth of information for beginners.

However, I'm having trouble making a decision on a wide angle lens, and I'm going to need one for my next project. Of course, if I could get something as cheap as those 50mms, I'd just buy it and experiment, but as a fledgling student filmmaker starting a lens collection on a limited budget, I'm finding wide angle to be a bit more daunting. I'd hate to drop $300 on a lens on ebay and then find out that something else would have suited my needs better. I need something around the 10-20mm range (fisheye is fine - actually, distortion is probably preferable), preferably without aperture stops, and I'd prefer something that will work with the 5D (when I finally have the funds to upgrade my camera).

Any advice?


PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanted new or new-ish, then Samyang/Rokinon and Sigma have several options. But not all will work EF as well as EF-S, and I don't know any that have non-clicked aperture rings (Samyang/Rokonon do have some non-clicked versions for filming). If you went with an EF-S wide-angle lens, it's very likely to hold most of its value if you sold it if/when you go to full-frame. I really wouldn't worry about full-frame compatibility, most people don't make the EF-S to EF step. And it's debateable whether the DSLR filming route is better served by the 5D or 7D bodies.

Depending how often you'll need it, hiring might be an option - plenty of lens rental companies about in Europe/US (I assume you're US as you mention $).


(btw, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 has been one of my favourite lenses to use with my 40D for a couple of years - only recently pushed off the camera by older manual lenses)


PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't many bargains among MF ultrawides.

I hear good things about the Zenitar 16mm which is reasonably priced.

http://forum.mflenses.com/zenitar-16mm-goes-full-frame-t10629.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/corvette-with-zenitar-16mm-t11609.html


PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies

I'm trying to avoid EF-S (and older lenses that hit the 5D mirror) because I'd like to avoid starting new when I move up to full frame; it's not so much the resale value as the hassle of selling and starting over (I'd rather add to the collection, not replace)... it's also why I'm leaning against renting, although I've considered it in this case since I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of a fisheye (and I'm in Los Angeles, so there are definitely local rental houses)

definitely doing more research on the Zenitar 16mm - it even seems like there might be some models out there without aperture stops, but I'll have to do more research

oh, and yeah, that Sigma 1.4/30 really served me quite well on my first few projects as my standard lens, but the Industar L/Z I picked up recently is more fun to play with and made me wonder if perhaps I should reconsider my standard


PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy Zenitar 16 only from trustworthy hands, many of them lemon make only unsharp images. Look new Samyang series as fisheye lens...


PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Buy Zenitar 16 only from trustworthy hands, many of them lemon make only unsharp images. Look new Samyang series as fisheye lens...


yeah, that's what I'm finding while reading up on the Zenitar - if I decide to go that route, I'll probably post something in the "wanted" forum here

as for the Samyang, it seems rather unusable on full frame


PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strangelove wrote:

I'm trying to avoid EF-S (and older lenses that hit the 5D mirror) because I'd like to avoid starting new when I move up to full frame;


It's a definite "when" and not an "if"? - and will you be selling your XX/XXXD and your 1.4/30 when/if you do?

I query this, because I've had my 40D not quite 5 years, and have pondered full-frame many times. I still do. But I don't see my EF-S lenses as a liability, even if I do choose a 5D/6D as my eventual upgrade instead of another XXD or 7D, I wonder if I would really sell the 40D and suddenly render them redundant.

The hassle of selling a *good* lens isn't that great. Your Sigma 1.4/30 will sell quickly and for a good price. The only problem will be if you buy something cheap and temporary.

Look at the Rokinon/Samyang cine lenses - renting will be the budget option, but they're not expensive for the type of lens they are - Cheesycam and Kirk Tick seem very positive about them.


PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:
strangelove wrote:

I'm trying to avoid EF-S (and older lenses that hit the 5D mirror) because I'd like to avoid starting new when I move up to full frame;


It's a definite "when" and not an "if"? - and will you be selling your XX/XXXD and your 1.4/30 when/if you do?

I query this, because I've had my 40D not quite 5 years, and have pondered full-frame many times. I still do. But I don't see my EF-S lenses as a liability, even if I do choose a 5D/6D as my eventual upgrade instead of another XXD or 7D, I wonder if I would really sell the 40D and suddenly render them redundant.

The hassle of selling a *good* lens isn't that great. Your Sigma 1.4/30 will sell quickly and for a good price. The only problem will be if you buy something cheap and temporary.

Look at the Rokinon/Samyang cine lenses - renting will be the budget option, but they're not expensive for the type of lens they are - Cheesycam and Kirk Tick seem very positive about them.


I started with a T3i about 6-7 months ago, originally hoping to upgrade to either a 7D or a 5D when I could afford it. Now the 6D seems like a better option than the 7D and within the realm of possibility by the end of the year (that is, if i don't go nuts buying lenses this year) - but I didn't realize that the Rokinon cine lenses were quite so affordable - I'd avoided researching anything not compatible with full frame for the reasons stated previously, but perhaps you're right and I should reconsider


PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the Rokinon Cine 14mm and 24mm are both listed as full-frame compatible.


PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Rokinon Cine 14mm and 24mm are both listed as full-frame compatible.


you're right - i was looking at the 8mm


PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina/Vivitar 17mm f/3.5 is probably the best bang for buck.
Unfortunately that was when you could pick one up for under 100, but just checked the auction site and it seems people are asking for silly money.

The cheapest way to shoot with a wide angle is to pick up a 18-55 kit lens - by comparison they go for peanuts and if you look after it you'll be able to re-sell it for not much less than you paid (you could even buy it, shoot and sell it for less than hiring).

I guarantee that 99.999% of people will not be able to spot that you are shooting on a budget kit lens.