Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice needed on mirrorless for MF lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: post festum Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

Well, I wouldn't call it bashing from my side. More than 50% of my cameras are featuring IBIS and I've got some stabilized lenses as well.
It's simply out of my experience that slow shutter speeds are not always successful. In that respect, if you want to make sure that the image is sharp the more reliable option is a tripod.
However, sometimes it can be nice as well if no tripod is on hand. Wink
Thomas, I wasn't referring to you. But more in general, on many forums, there seem to be heated discussions about IBIS. I don't really see the problem. It's a camera-feature, just like many camera's are equipped with e.g. video, autofocus, scene-modes, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a clean NEX 7 five years ago for about what you paid for the A6000. The NEX 7 is basically a predecessor to the A6000, and shares many of its features, most notably its 24.3mp sensor. Or at least an earlier version of it. I've found that 24.3mp provides plenty of resolution for almost all of my needs. This translates into 4000 x 6000 pixels image files, which is usually plenty. Same as one gets with a Nikon CoolScan, in fact. Which is why I also use my NEX 7 for duping slides and negatives.

Most of my lenses are manual focus, and most of those are Canon FD, Nikon F, and Tamron SP. I find that I tend to use the Canon and Tamron lenses the most. Nothing wrong with the Nikons -- I just don't have as big of a selection of them as I do Canon and Tamron.

Some of you have commented on how nice the Canon nFD 85/1.8 is. I have a copy and I must agree. It is a sweet lens. I also own a Canon FD 85/1.2 SSC Aspherical, the ancestor to the 85/1.2 "L" lenses. Now, that is one incredible optic, but you have to want to use it. The 85/1.8 is a much easier lens to use. I'm also very fond of the Canon 50/1.4 SSC and 24/2.8 SSC.

I really like how APS-C format gives extra legs to my telephoto lenses, but I really miss my wide angles being wide angles. And I think that, sooner or later, you're gonna miss this capability with your A6000. Only solution with the A6000 is to buy the expensive short focal length lenses made for it that will give you the wide frames you need. And it is for this reason that I now recommend people figure out a way to buy into a full frame system. The price of the A7 has dropped so far now that it falls into that 500 pound price range now. And the A7 II can be had for a bit more than $800. The 24.3mp sensor size on the A7 is plenty big enough. Consider that Canon's 5D series had to get all the way to the 5D IV before its sensor was greater than 22mp. And nobody seems to fault the 5D series for not having enough image resolution.

I'll likely be upgrading to a clean used A7 or A7 II in the near future, just so I can get my wides back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
And the A7 II can be had for a bit more than $800.

It's $999 brand new right now - Sony is running a special to counter Canon RP.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: post festum Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

The only issue I've come across so far is that the zoom view cuts out very quickly, if not almost instantaneously, with an MF lens fitted to it. I'm using a K&F Concept adapter, and its happening with every lens I've put on it so far. Shoot without lens is set, I' ve got peaking on - it does help, and I'd already figured to move the zoom button to c1. Despite this, it still cuts out... anyone else come across similar?

There are a few settings that help me (on my cameras, NEX-7 & A7r), set Focus Magnification time to No Limit(page 1 of the gear tab), it will stay zoomed till you press the shutter, you can alter this behavior by half pressing the shutter then zooming in, it will stay zoomed in till the shot is taken, perfect for macro shooting.
I also have AF/MF(AEL) button and C1 set to Focus Magnifier, the AF/MF button is perfect for normal shooting, C1 is perfect for tripod shooting and low angle LCD shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like how APS-C format gives extra legs to my telephoto lenses, but I really miss my wide angles being wide angles. And I think that, sooner or later, you're gonna miss this capability with your A6000. Only solution with the A6000 is to buy the expensive short focal length lenses made for it that will give you the wide frames you need.[/quote]

There's a focal reducer wich i assume that are working well , I'm not sure if all lenses work good enough though

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: post festum Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I don't depend on stabilization, I just do what photographers did for years prior to stabilization... A faster shutter speed, better technique, a tripod.

It depends on where and what you photograph. Inside darkish buildings, such as churches, where tripods/flash are not welcome may require high ISO or IS.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I stuck a thorium Pancolar on the A6000 today and results seem impressive so far...

What I really like about the A6000 so far is firstly its size, and also you can use it in as basic manner as you wish; I'm using the viewfinder way more than the screen, and the 11fps is fantastic for street stuff, plus I find having a drive like than can sometimes compensate for camera shake.. I think this should amuse me until such times I do go full-frame mirrorless.

All just about unprocessed, other than pushing exposure and slight temp change. The bridge shot I did lower the contrast, desaturated a bit and upped the blacks/shadows a bit. B&W pigeon shot had a Scala 200 emulation applied. The first shot was at 800 ISO, so I'm quite pleased with how it handled that kind of light.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

There's a focal reducer wich i assume that are working well , I'm not sure if all lenses work good enough though

Yeah, Metabones makes one, I believe, and then there's the Zhong Yi Lens Turbo and Lens Turbo II. The II is a definite improvement, but these focal reducers, while the work surprisingly well, often show softness on the edges. I still haven't made up my mind on whether or not to get one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've grown to love and depend on my Pentax IS.
I've been using it for a dozen years.
One of the best things about a Pentax.

I dont know why everyone doesn't use it, if only as a fallback.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried three focal reducers (borrowed), and in the end bought the cheapest I could find.

The reason is all were soft at the edges, but considering everything one must consider it a reasonable trade, and live with it, so might as well be resigned to it from the begonning. My style, such as it is, and the kind of subjects I am attracted to, do not suffer much from soft edges. Sharpness across the frame does me little good.

Its a personal thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

All just about unprocessed, other than pushing exposure and slight temp change. The bridge shot I did lower the contrast, desaturated a bit and upped the blacks/shadows a bit. ... The first shot was at 800 ISO, so I'm quite pleased with how it handled that kind of light.

I really like that shot Gott. For some reason American '70s realism movies came to mind. And now I have Lalo Schifrin's 'Bullitt' playing in my head. I hope you take this all as a compliment.

Like 1 .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:

I really like that shot Gott. For some reason American '70s realism movies came to mind. And now I have Lalo Schifrin's 'Bullitt' playing in my head. I hope you take this all as a compliment.

Like 1 .

Laugh 1

Thanks!

I must confess that Stephen Shore's American Surfaces was a big impact on me; even if do predominantly shoot in B&W.. That's probably why I tend to stick to just a handful of filters when post-processing; I use Alien Skin Exposure, so normally my go tos for colour are Provia 100F and 400F; both give a touch more warmth, contrast and saturation without adding much grain if any. There's also an Agfacolor Neu emulation which gives a nice blue cast, and probably the other go to for colour would be Ektar 100. However.. since starting to use MF glass, I've been using this less and less; especially when it comes to lenses like the Thorium Pancolar 50; the yellowing of the elements gives a warmth to the images - which with the contrast it has really gives a film like quality without any processing..

These are unprocessed, other than the second one having its exposure upped about half a stop..

As per my original post, ISO and noise are important factors in my choice. At 800 (the 1st shot), its well controlled and looks more like natural grain. So I tend to stick to around that at most.

BTW: I do now have a Thorium Pancolar 50 for sale since I got another in a kit.. It's got a tiny bit of fungus on the very edge of the front element but nothing that effects images.. And I mean tiny... I'll list it in the ads section shortly.. and it was the one I used for those shots above. The "new" one I've got is an earlier number, slightly less yellow tint but it's iris is a bit sluggish. It is optically perfect though and also has the premium "1" mark on it.. I can live with sluggish.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
[
Laugh 1

Thanks!

You're welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
Gott23 wrote:

Another selling point was the drive rate of the Sony, at 11fps with quite a large buffer it seems, so pleased with that.. Now just to figure out what the hell the rest of the menu options do! (And my M42 adapter arrives via Amazon Prime tomorrow.. Very Happy )

the three most important options for shooting manual on an A6000:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-set-Sony-A6000-for-old-manual-lens

Great decision .

Use the focus peaking option for manual focussing . All your photos will be sharp .

Enjoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....

Took it out for a few hours this morning in some half decent light, with a selection of lenses..

Not sure if it was because I'm a glasses wearer, or I have the eyepiece adjust out of place, but it was really hard to get a focus in the far distance, looking through the eyepiece..

Now that was in combination with a screen that kept cutting out..

Then I finally realised later today, it was my hand moving in front of the eyepiece cutting it out; not a wonky connection... *doh*

Despite a fair bit of swearing, the results have proven to be quite interesting.. Current favourite lenses have to be the Lydith 30/3.5, a Domiplan 50/2.8, Thorium Pancolar 50/1.8 and my Flektogon 35/2.8

I did try out a Lydith 20/4 on it last night but I really think that benefits from a full-frame; especially with that field of view.

Pentacon 135/2.8 - which I didn't think was focusing at infinity - and yes, I'll use a tripod next time.. >.< Unprocessed, not sure if blue cast is light or lens

CZJ Flektogon 35/2.8 @ f/5.6

Meyer Optik Domiplan 50/f2.8

Pentaflex Auto Colar 50/1.8 (A Meyer Oreston 50/1.8 in disguise?)

(I was surprised how well this turned out, as it was pretty soft wide open; not much light but I think this was one of the few I got at about 5.6/8 ish)

Silver CSZ Tessar 50/2.8

(This is a flawed beauty though; no infinity focus... but I can live with tht...

and finally the Meyer Lydith 30/3.5

I think this will be my go to lens for the camera, as its so lightweight, easy to control and the sharpness is unbelievable..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not interested in IBIS personally. The longer you stick with manual focus the better you get at it. These days I have little trouble getting nice, clear, in-focus shots handheld with my 200mm lenses. For focal lengths longer than that I always try to brace against something, but I still shoot handheld. With more normal lenses like a 50 or a 58 I've been able to tap off beautiful shots at 1/10 sec., though not routinely. I never could have done that when I first started. I still feel I'm improving (and that I have room to improve) too.

Still, I prefer to shoot around 1/200 if possible. You have to screw-up pretty bad to get motion blur at that shutter speed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so the Helios 44-2 I have officially kicks ass... It's great to be able to use it without serious workarounds and the focus/aperture are so smooth to work with - even if the aperture scale is in reverse...

These are all unprocessed other than where I've corrected the temperature; I was shooting at 4400K given the gloom...

(full size versions can be see via this album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmBnwj1Z - the detail of some of the power station shots is on a par with what I've seen a Pancolar 50 do on long exposure at night....)

For a lens that cost me all of £30 at most, I am blown away...