Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice: 135mm (Jupiter vs Carl Zeiss)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Advice: 135mm (Jupiter vs Carl Zeiss) Reply with quote

Hello people!

I would really need an advice for some people with more experience than me.
I want to buy a 135mm lens. I have to chose between Jupiter-37A 135mm f/3.5 and Zeiss Jena Triotar 135mm f/4.

I am very undecided. It would be much appreciated if someone who had experience with these lenses could give me some opinions.
Or shall I go for Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm F4 ?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by andrawes on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice: 135mm (Jupiter vs Carl Zeiss) Reply with quote

andrawes wrote:
Hello people!

I would really need an advice for some people with more experience than me.
I want to buy a 135mm lens. I have to chose between Jupiter-37A 135mm f/3.5 and Zeiss Jena Triotar 135mm f/4.

I am very undecided. It would be much appreciated if someone who had experience with these lenses could give me some opinions.

Many thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!

I do not have experience with these two. But I know that a good copy of the Jupiter is one of the better 3.5/135 lenses with good sharpness and contrast. But I would take the Triotar because I like old triplets, more classic looking photos. Just look at that sexy thing! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had and used both.
The Triotar is of course a triplet and can sometimes give that bubble bokeh that is occasionally sought after.
The Jupiter is sharper in my opinion and with much better contrast, so for most shooting produces "better" images.
For what it is worth, I have sold my copy of the Triotar
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to this forum!
I have both lenses but if you are choosing between them I would
buy the Jupiter which is smaller and more convenient to use and I
think gives more consistent good results. When I pick a 135mm lens to
use, I most often pick the Jupiter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had, or used, a Biotar. But I have got three Jupiter 135's, and they are really very good. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you think about Sonnar 135/3.5 ? That is also solution. Now selling mine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a Sonnar 135/4 to go with my 35 Flek, 58 Biotar, and 80 Tessar. Sadly I have other lenses I want more.
http://forum.mflenses.com/czj-sonnar-4-135-and-triotar-4-135-i-understand-now-t20601.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 135/2.8

A sonnar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Pentacon 135/2.8

A sonnar

+1 if you don't require speed Sonnar F3.5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sonnar's are nice, I've got a 3.5 and a 4 and they are excellent. Both were dirt cheap, one had slight fungus - easily cleaned, and the other has stiff focusing - I live with it.

Lovely lenses, full of character and plenty sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flickr's change of service has forced me to delete several thousand images- many are examples with various lenses.

As it happens- my KMZ J-11 just showed up, and is well calibrated on my M9. I'll be shooting a test between it and the Zeiss 13.5cm F4, also in Leica mount.

Last edited by fiftyonepointsix on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your replies, folks!
Finally I went for a Jupiter 37A which I had to clean it from oily blades. I am surprised of it's sharpness...