Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Additional lens recommendation for nex 6 w/ 16-50 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Additional lens recommendation for nex 6 w/ 16-50 ? Reply with quote

I am a long-time lurker, first-time poster who has often enjoyed studying the photos and reading the (usually) informative posts at this site.

My new Nex arrived a few weeks ago. I am in the process of trying various lenses--I have a number left over from film days. I realize this is a perennial and somewhat ridiculous question, given that answers are inevitably subjective and dependent to large degree on personal preference, but I find myself over-saturated from too much testing, thinking, and researching, so will ask it anyway, and welcome any comments and advice from experienced Nex users:

Subject to the caveats and conditions below, is there a piece of glass (or two) you would really not be without if you were traveling with this camera and the 16-50 kit lens?

Caveats and Conditions, in no particular order: No heavy glass (Have some, it stays home). Most pics outdoors, often of people doing things, possibly with interesting background/landscapes but occasionally close and in need of isolation. I am not a sharpness fiend, except on the occasional landscape--but expect reasonable quality, and would like to be able to print the occasional outstanding capture at 13x19. Character welcome--and yes, Russian glass is a possibility. Cheap--as in inexpensive--is fine, but I would drop a few hundred $ if I thought it was worth it. Good handling important. Might want to do some B & W conversion on occasional shots. One candidate I have tried, and so far like, is the Hexanon 57/1.4.

Ideas, comments, candidates? Thanks, no promises, but will read with GREAT interest, and the hope that you may save me from prolonged agonies of trial, error, and indecision! Thanks:)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Additional lens recommendation for nex 6 w/ 16-50. Reply with quote

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum Smile

if you talk only one, small, for outdoor people doing things, occasionally close and need for isolation..my recommendation is a Pen-F Zuiko f1.4/40mm. Alternatively Voigtlaender Nocton 1.4/40 or Ultron 1.7/35 which have better coating but don't focus as close, 0.7m as compared to 0.35m of the Zuiko, and they will cost more.

Yes, I think wider than a 50 or 57mm will be more useful, actually I find a 24mm particular useful for 'street' and occasional landscape, but that might well be covered with the Sony kit zoom. If manual, as a second lens besides the 40mm, Voigtlander Snapshot Skopar f4/25mm is very small and affordable', other M39/Leica M are rather expensive, Olympus OM f2.4/24mm, for a SLR lens, is very small and a very good performer, just make sure that it is a late MC version

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought of Pen-F. Excellent ideas to investigate! Thank you.

Anyone with other suggestions re a lens (or two) you would not want to be without?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlaender 28mm 1.9 is one of the lenses that fit extremly well to a Nex, but it is not a small lens
As a small one, i like: Leica 40mm 2.0, with the disadvantage compard to Andreas´s proposal, that you cannot go really near
something longer: the Voigtlaender 75mm 2.5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My horizons are expanding--excellent and intriguing suggestions. And more homework to do! Smile I hope more users weigh in as time goes by. Lots of views, few posts, but there must be more opinions out there. I would like to know what nexers actually think. It is a real question. . . and one that is not going away soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone interested in MF lenses should pick up a Helios 44, they're so cheap and have a special rendering wide open.

http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-44-xx-pics-add-yours-t29321.html
http://www.flickr.com/groups/helios44/

At f/8 they're good performers, so it's not a gimmick lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenses I had a lot fun with on NEX:
Summicron-C 40/2
Elmar-C 90/4
Helios 44-2 58/2
Minolta MD 50/1.4, 50/2 and 24/2.8
Tokina 17mm F3.5
Samyang 8mm (both F2.8 and F3.5 but F3.5 is less compact)
Cyclop 85/1.5
Contax G Sonnar 90/2.8 T*
Contax G Planar 35/2 T*
Contax G Biogon 28/2.8 T*
Rodenstock Rodagon 105mm F5.6 + bellows
Zenitar M2s 50/2
Steinheil München Culminar 135/4.5
Fujian 35/1.7 (a toy lens only)

All of them (except maybe the Cyclop and the bellows) are easy to carry around imho.
Should I post some samples?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your interest, quite an inventory. I have been wondering particularly about the 17 and the 40-- do you have samples of those?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So--trying to encourage more opinions and keep this topic alive-- Is there a piece of glass (or two) you would really not be without if you were traveling with this camera and the 16-50 kit lens? Anyone?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont' have the kit lens but when travelling with my Nex I usually carry 2 or 3 lenses
1. Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar 15mm/4.5
2. Pentax A 24mm/2.8

(3. Pentax M 20mm/4)

Well and of course the Sigma 30mm/2.8 AF Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited