Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adapters for other mounts to Contax/Yashica cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Adapters for other mounts to Contax/Yashica cameras Reply with quote

Hello, everyone!
I wonder if you have any information on adapters which are available (other than the very common M42 one) or could be produced in a DIY way for other mounts to Contax/Yashca film bodies. Searching for this on the web is painful, as any way in which you type for example Nikon F lens to C/Y camera, no matter how clear, you always get a million links to C/Y adapters for Nikon cameras. I understand that Nikon F, Leica R or DKL could be doable, in theory? My need for this is that I am going on a trip, and Zeiss never made midrange 35mm and 85mm f/2-ish lenses. The f/1.4 ones are too big and heavy to carry everyday, the f/2.8 ones not very attractive Smile I was stupid enough to sell my M42 Flektogon 35/2.4, which could completely work for me now.
Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you need infinity focus with the lens/adapter/camera combination? If not, any lens can be adapted to any camera with varying degrees of useful focus range and coverage.

The adapter needs to put the lens the correct distance from the sensor plane to reach infinity focus. Nikon F, DKL, Leica R and Olympus OM all have longer registers than Contax C/Y (45.5mm). So in theory adapters can be made for those mounts. The problem is the difference in registers is very small, the largest difference being Leica R with 1.5 mm. That leaves you with very little material to machine or print a connection between two bayonet mounts. Another challenge is the diameter of the mounts. C/Y is 48mm in diameter, any mount larger than that (Leica R 49mm) can't be recessed into it in any way, making it harder to manufacture an adapter.

The M42 adapter is easy as it is narrower and much less complex to machine, leaving you enough material to make a sturdy adapter. Any of the mentioned bayonet mounts if possible will require flimsily thin parts.

Also, some lens mounts have aperture connectors or other hardware protruding beyond the lens mount. If you are using an SLR the mirror may catch on those.

By far the easiest solution for you would be to buy another m42 Flektogon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Zeiss did make an M42 series of lenses called ZS. That included a 35mm f/2 Distagon. Quite bulky and heavy for a 35/2 though if I remember correctly.