Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adapter question Canon 5DII - Praktica B ??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Adapter question Canon 5DII - Praktica B ?? Reply with quote

Yes. I tried the search function....
Anyway, please help, if you have some experience.
Is there an adapter for Praktica B lenses on 5DII? Which will allow infinity?
If yes, any ideas which Praktic B lenses will work, with or without modifications? Question
I remember those long gone days, when using a Praktica B for shooting. Always was very pleased with the results. And I can probably get some lenses from a friend...

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several adapter allowing infinity forcus on eBay.

Don't remember where i bought mine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember for next Praktica B adapter allow infinity shoots with several lenses , but not with all. It was tried on Canon crop camera.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,
guess I will try an adapter and see, if the lenses will need a modification, or not.

Greetings
Klausw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that you needed a *really* thin adapter, and that most if not all PB adapters would not reach infinity. In fact, in most adverts the sellers suggest you just stop the lens down and hope for the best Laughing

Mine certainly doesn't reach infinity Sad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I was under the impression that you needed a *really* thin adapter, and that most if not all PB adapters would not reach infinity. In fact, in most adverts the sellers suggest you just stop the lens down and hope for the best Laughing

Mine certainly doesn't reach infinity Sad

mmmh, that does not sound so good. Anyway, guess I will give one a try.
Greetings
Klaus

PS: Anyone tested Prakticar lenses on 5DII? Problems with the mirror?

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/anyone-used-this-praktica-to-eos-adapter-any-comments-t13819,highlight,praktica++adapter.html

0,4mm thickness for an adapter not easy to make it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prakticars on 5D Mkii???

Yes!!! me!!

What do you need? Info? You can not use them even though the LiveView is on..

Unfortunately shaving the mirror is only one way ..

but you won't be disappointed --
That was the best thing I have done on my 5D MkII..

Smile

tf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
Prakticars on 5D Mkii???

Yes!!! me!!

Smile

tf

Stan, thank you. Will not shave the mirror on my 5DII, so I have to give up my dreams....
Greetings
Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
trifox wrote:
Prakticars on 5D Mkii???

Yes!!! me!!

Smile

tf

Stan, thank you. Will not shave the mirror on my 5DII, so I have to give up my dreams....
Greetings
Klaus

Well, actually it is not entirely true. You don't have to shave the mirror. With old praktica B lenses it's quite easy. You just need an adapter (see link below) and then remove piece of original mount and the small aperture pin. It's non-destructive method and you can easily put it together again! You do not need to remove anything when you use APS-C camera since its mirror is much smaller and therefore it doesn't stuck.

Well there is of course question of infinity focus. Let's just say it depends on a lens. With some of my lenses it is possible, with others not. If you need more instruction, ask me. I'm using it Smile
Code:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Praktica-PB-P-B-Lens-Canon-EOS-Adapter-5D-MARK-II-/300531169456

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum phoeniks. Do introduce yourself a bit in the Photographer's Cafe section

It will also be great if you could share some of your photos you took with Prakticars on 5D Mkii. I am sure it will benefit a lot of people if you can also show the modified lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, there is a simple way how to modify praktica B lenses. You need this only with full frame cameras! With crop there is no need for modification.

1) original non-modified lens

2) First you have to remove plastic cover from the bayonet. More expensive lenses have a few screws on top.

3) As soon as you remove the cover, you have to remove aperture pin.

4) Just remove two screws and you are done!

Be careful not to drop screws into the lens body! Attach the adapter and you are ready to shoot!

and a needed note:
I cannot and I will not be responsible for any damage caused by these instructions. You do it on your own risk!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much a spare mirror from Canon ? Perhaps 200 USD , if I have a Canon 5DII or 5D I rather buy a spare mirror, sand it to fit for all lenses and one copy of mirror will wait in my drawer for time when I will sell my 5D. To modify each lenses not the way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
How much a spare mirror from Canon ? Perhaps 200 USD , if I have a Canon 5DII or 5D I rather buy a spare mirror, sand it to fit for all lenses and one copy of mirror will wait in my drawer for time when I will sell my 5D. To modify each lenses not the way to go.

Very agreeable with this statement, even though I have already shaved
the mirror.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

well, if you have more lenses from different manufactures and free 200$ perhaps it's the way to go. But why in this case when you have just praktica B? This small modification will take about 3 minutes and is free. I rather use my 200$ to buy another lens Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoeniks wrote:
Attila wrote:

well, if you have more lenses from different manufactures and free 200$ perhaps it's the way to go. But why in this case when you have just praktica B? This small modification will take about 3 minutes and is free. I rather use my 200$ to buy another lens Wink

Result of this thinking a bunch of abused, butchered lens what you can't restore later. I can't imagine if somebody has 2000 USD for an 5D2 he has no more 10% of camera value to care lenses and not ruin them.

Just an extreme example, 10 yrs before people not much look for Biotar 75mm lens it was cheap if you find it, some 'smart guy' did modify it and no it is unusable , how many people would like to own one in usable condition at least , thousands ... and it cost 700-800 USD.

All time if you alter a lens keep in mind, next generation would like to have it also ,possible in nicest , untouched condition.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Result of this thinking a bunch of abused, butchered lens what you can't restore later. I can't imagine if somebody has 2000 USD for an 5D2 he has no more 10% of camera value to care lenses and not ruin them.

Just an extreme example, 10 yrs before people not much look for Biotar 75mm lens it was cheap if you find it, some 'smart guy' did modify it and no it is unusable , how many people would like to own one in usable condition at least , thousands ... and it cost 700-800 USD.

All time if you alter a lens keep in mind, next generation would like to have it also ,possible in nicest , untouched condition.

sorry, but this is just going nowhere. Evil or Very Mad You are not right. I CAN restore my lenses anytime I want! THIS IS NONDESTRUCTIVE AND CHEAPEST WAY HOW TO DO IT! I'm able to do it within 5 minutes! Of course, in case you're not skilled enough, you better pay. It perfectly fits today's philosophy that you MUST buy things instead of trying to do it yourself. Try to use the cheapest ways to achieve the best performance!

What do you take me for? Some 'smart guy' that just destroys his precious lenses?? Rolling Eyes

Next time please read more carefully. It saves time...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoeniks
Attila was not rude,please take care how you answer others who do not share your way of doing things.....he made this site to promote the use of older lenses,and people like yourself provide different answers and problem solving to many problems we can come across with MF lenses.

We may not agree all the time but we can show respect to others.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo

Ok. Maybe I overreacted a little and I'm sorry for that.
I don't know. All I posted was a simple way how to make praktica lenses usable for 5DII within minutes and without any special tools. I was even asked for it. And all I felt afterwards was that I'm some fool trying to tell people how to destroy their lenses...

BTW, you talk about respect. And what about some respect for my opinion?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion: Altering a lens is not destroying. We are talking about, well, just about lenses and not about Michelangelo's David. We can try to preserve the environement for future generations, but lenses? Not really! Most of them, we are talking about, are mass production lenses.

If I want to use a lens, unuseable otherwise, I'll get it converted, or do that myself, if possible. And that is the way, lenses were treated all the time during camera or photography history. In the past, in case a camera became obsolete or broken, the lens was often converted, adapted to the next camera. And that's the way, how lenses continue to live.

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I send you two photos made with CZ 35mm 2.4 and Prakticar 135mm 2.8 (with intentional flare) to easy everybody's mind about my lenses Wink
These are made with 7D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results look really good Smile I think these Prakticar lenses are very underrated! Or perhaps, just too difficult to adapt for infinity. I have removed the plastic rear part of my 50/2.4 pancake for use on the 5D. I didn't need to remove the pin, oddly enough.

I agree that lenses shouldn't be butchered, but if they can be non-destructively amended then I guess it's fine. I wouldn't be able to use my Nikkor 20/4 on my 5D otherwise Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

BTW, you talk about respect. And what about some respect for my opinion?

I believe I did show you respect,I was only pointing out that capitals etc was not the way to go when replying to a member on this forum....as a moderator that would be my job.
It's how you write or phrase the differences of opinion that causes the most problems/misunderstandings and that is what we try to keep replys respectful ...plus being a multi language forum it is even harder to write in English which may or may not be your mother tongue.

I respected the way you can change/alter your lens and you indeed took the time to post how you did it,which to me was very nice of you....and will be valuable to some members and anyone who may come across it.I hope you understand as I don't want to ruin a really great thread...please PM if you have any more thoughts. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this thread very informative and this method by phoeniks is clearly non-destructive and can be returned easily to the original mount.

I think attila was just posting a general message of warning to make people think before making damaging modifications.

Thanks for the postings phoeniks.

Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham
You didn't? perhaps it was not too long in that case, then. In some cases even removing pin will not help (in case of carlzeiss 50mm/f1.4 for example) because when focusing, rear element goes too deep. Best way how to determine that is simple. Using your adapter try to focus all the way both directions. If it doesn't go past the adapter, it's (usually) fine.