Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adapter on a Focal Reducer?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIF, the hot spot is caused by the lens and not the reducer. Some lenses produce it and some don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
That's very unfortunate Gustav and I wonder if you really got LT II. Did you buy from reputable seller? Could you please post some photos of the LT as well as OM-EOS adapter as well?

I've plenty of different, cheap adapters from M42,PK,Nikon,OM to EOS and they all work as they should with my EOS camera as with my LTII.
If I remember correctly first OM-EOS adapter I bought from Big-Is ebay seller for a few $, the cheapest one without any chip and it works great ever since. Recently I purchased another OM-EOS from K&F and it works great as well. I had no problem in mounting my ~10 OM lenses. 28/3.5 and 50/1.4 are mounting without problem, cannot say anything 24 as I don't have this lens.

As for blue spot - it's seriously weird, as I was using LTII in bright, early summer sun on the beach without any problem at all. I just have checked those photos since I remember I had LTII on for the whole 5 day trip and I couldn't find any blue spot. No matter if the lens was pointed directly in the sun, with sun in frame or any other combination, there is no blue spot whatsoever. I was using Olympus Zuiko's 50/1.4, 35/2.8 and 28/3.5 if I remember correctly and they all worked fine.

I seriously wonder if you get true and honest LTII giving your problems under consideration.

Thank you Mateusz,

I'll post pics of both LT II and OM-EOS later on today.
It would be very strange if the LT wasn't the original, as I bought it from Amazon and from the receipt included it's actually arriving from Adorama.
At first, I thought the problem was because I'm using two cheap OM-EOS adapters, but you're confirming that yours are simple adapaters as well.
Today I'll give the LT II another try, but I'm seriously considering returning it and try the Viltrox instead.
What I'm not sure about is if the Viltrox is simply another LT as it seems sometimes these adpaters are just rebrand and they use same mechanical parts.

P.S. Anyway, before I post picutres of the adapters, this is what I've bought:
Mitakon Canon EF Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Lens Turbo Mark II Adapter, 4 Elements/ 4 Groups
https://goo.gl/yDVFMc

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, 35mm Olympus Zuiko Lens to Canon EOS EF, EF-S Mount Camera such as EOS 7D, 5D, 60D
https://goo.gl/En9HAU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a second version of speedbooster released. the second version correct the blue spot
did you get the V1 or v2 ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
there is a second version of speedbooster released. the second version correct the blue spot
did you get the V1 or v2 ?

It is LT ii, so yes version 2.

Now, here are some pics of the adapters, OM to EOS and LT ii:

A couple of samples I took today, which turned out to look kind of a surreal day due to a fire near LA:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Gustav, from your previous post and your photos I also think it's genuine LTII, at least it looks as the one on Zhongyi website and since seller is well known than I don't think there's problem. I've tried for several days replicate your problems with blue spot, I've tried some lenses that I don't use often to see any difference, I've browsed throughout my photos done with LTII and I cannot find any single one with this blue spot in place, no matter what lightning and what lens. So unfortunately I cannot help here.

As for your EOS-OM adapter, it looks the same as mine, but I got idea about why you have some problems.

On the photo I've drawn two arrows - when you take a closer look at your adapter you'll find thicker piece of metal under green arrow and thinner over red arrow. There should be gap between the two elements. When on my one adapter lenses felt loose I've simply deflected thinner piece (red arrow) to make the gap a bit bigger - after that I needed to put a lot of strength to screw the lenses on, so I've fine tuned the gap between the elements until all lenses felt as they should - secured but without much effort to put them on.
Maybe your adapter has similar problem - try to make this gap smaller by bending thinner piece (red arrow) and remember to repeat this on all three mounting pieces.

When you manage to use your zuiko lenses on LTII tell us if you still have blue spot problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
Well Gustav, from your previous post and your photos I also think it's genuine LTII, at least it looks as the one on Zhongyi website and since seller is well known than I don't think there's problem. I've tried for several days replicate your problems with blue spot, I've tried some lenses that I don't use often to see any difference, I've browsed throughout my photos done with LTII and I cannot find any single one with this blue spot in place, no matter what lightning and what lens. So unfortunately I cannot help here.

As for your EOS-OM adapter, it looks the same as mine, but I got idea about why you have some problems.

On the photo I've drawn two arrows - when you take a closer look at your adapter you'll find thicker piece of metal under green arrow and thinner over red arrow. There should be gap between the two elements. When on my one adapter lenses felt loose I've simply deflected thinner piece (red arrow) to make the gap a bit bigger - after that I needed to put a lot of strength to screw the lenses on, so I've fine tuned the gap between the elements until all lenses felt as they should - secured but without much effort to put them on.
Maybe your adapter has similar problem - try to make this gap smaller by bending thinner piece (red arrow) and remember to repeat this on all three mounting pieces.

When you manage to use your zuiko lenses on LTII tell us if you still have blue spot problem.

That's very useful information Mateusz, thank you!
I'll try your advice on one of my OM adapters.

As far using the Zuiko on the LTII the two images I posted above are taken with the OM 24 2.8.

Today I did more test and I haven't noticed the blue spot.
But here's what I'm thinking. The first day I tried to mount the OM I might not have screwed the lens tight enough.
If that's the case I'm wondering if, some light leaking, might have caused the issue (which theoretically I should have noticed it on the edges, but now I'm not leaving anything to chance).

Also, do you have any info about the Viltrox adapter? https://goo.gl/RDKR4S
In case I'll decide to return the LTii I'm thinking to try the Viltrox.

Thanks for helping!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with this Viltrox thing, but in my opinion:
- I don't know the brand but I suspect it's nothing to write home about Wink
- It costs the same as Zhongyi/Mitakon Lens Turbo II and has built in support to enable AF in Canon lenses on Sony body - well, for me it's a lot of features for that kind of money - something must be cheap/crappy in there and I assume it's the optics.

But as I said - I don't have first hand experience and I could be totally wrong. Try to look for some tests. I know there are tests between Speed Booster and Lens Turbo II and they clearly show that Lens Turbo II is inferior to Speed Booster, which costs 3 times as much so it must be better to justify price. I only assume that Viltrox/Roxsen and similar brands are inferior to Lens Turbo II which is in my opinion relatively cheap.

I advice you to sort things out with your OM-EOS adapter first, then test Lens Turbo II thoroughly and decide if it fits your needs. If not, I think that you should do a step up to Speed Booster if you can afford one, not a step down to Viltrox/Roxseen etc.. I cannot afford Speed Booster and that's why I bought Lens Turbo II, it's not perfect, but good enough for me that I can't justify paying 3 times more for Speed Booster even that it's clearly better.
I wrote that some posts earlier and I still think that you shouldn't buy anything cheaper than Mitakon/Zhongyi Lens Turbo II. Every single test I saw and every single opinion I've read show that cheaper than that and you will end up with some pretty unusable paper weight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have same zhonghi turbo II and have had no blue point problem. But lens + Zhonghi quality not at level of just lens + adapter, so mainly useful for wide angle or if very low light.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
I don't have any experience with this Viltrox thing, but in my opinion:
- I don't know the brand but I suspect it's nothing to write home about Wink
- It costs the same as Zhongyi/Mitakon Lens Turbo II and has built in support to enable AF in Canon lenses on Sony body - well, for me it's a lot of features for that kind of money - something must be cheap/crappy in there and I assume it's the optics.

But as I said - I don't have first hand experience and I could be totally wrong. Try to look for some tests. I know there are tests between Speed Booster and Lens Turbo II and they clearly show that Lens Turbo II is inferior to Speed Booster, which costs 3 times as much so it must be better to justify price. I only assume that Viltrox/Roxsen and similar brands are inferior to Lens Turbo II which is in my opinion relatively cheap.

I advice you to sort things out with your OM-EOS adapter first, then test Lens Turbo II thoroughly and decide if it fits your needs. If not, I think that you should do a step up to Speed Booster if you can afford one, not a step down to Viltrox/Roxseen etc.. I cannot afford Speed Booster and that's why I bought Lens Turbo II, it's not perfect, but good enough for me that I can't justify paying 3 times more for Speed Booster even that it's clearly better.
I wrote that some posts earlier and I still think that you shouldn't buy anything cheaper than Mitakon/Zhongyi Lens Turbo II. Every single test I saw and every single opinion I've read show that cheaper than that and you will end up with some pretty unusable paper weight.

That makes sense Mateusz.
Plus, after more research, I read the Viltrox suffer from a very severe vignetting issue.

I'm testing the LTii more and more, and it seems the blue spot is gone.
It might be possible the first day it did happen because I didn't mount the lens correctly.
That said, I'm enjoying it a lot!
I'm rediscovering all my lenses now Smile

As for the OM issue, I've noticed one more thing: my Zuiko 24 fits better than the 50.
I was going to test the 50 again and I noticed that even on the OM-NEX adapter it's already difficult to screw/unscrew.
It's actually the lens that might need some cleaning.
The 24 fits, only rotating it from one particular position, but fits.

Thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
I have same zhonghi turbo II and have had no blue point problem. But lens + Zhonghi quality not at level of just lens + adapter, so mainly useful for wide angle or if very low light.

Agree, the combo 24+LTii it's just perfect!