Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adaptall 28/2.8 vs. Adaptall-2 28/2.5?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Adaptall 28/2.8 vs. Adaptall-2 28/2.5? Reply with quote

I have found myself in an interesting situation. For a while now, I have had a Tamron Adaptall 28/2.8 lens, but I have been unable to use it as I haven't had a Nikon mount for it. While traveling a few weeks ago, I came across a Nikon Adaptall mount for a good price... with an Adaptall-2 28/2.5 lens attached to it as a bonus. Very Happy

The Adaptall 28/2.8 is the model CW-28 made from 1976-1979:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/cw28.htm
and the Adaptall-2 28/2.5 is the model 02B, made from 1979-1992:
http://adaptall-2.org/lenses/02B.html

They appear to be quite similar in specifications. Both are multi-coated, and have 7/7 optical designs with a 0.25m minimum focus distance. The 28/2.5 however, is shorter, lighter, and of course just a touch faster. Wink It also has a smaller front element, but a larger rear element. The 28/2.8 has an Auto/Manual switch, while the 28/2.5 does not.

Searching for opinions, I seem to find generally good reviews for both lenses, but I was a bit surprised to read this on the Adaptall-2 site for the 28/2.5:
adaptall-2.org wrote:
A moderate wide angle lens with slightly above average performance.

Has anyone used these two lenses enough to characterize their differences, or give an indication which one is better? Thanks. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of the better 28mm non-OEM manual lenses! The Adaptall 2 version is slightly sharper with a bit more contrast, but they are both decent performers Smile Obviously the newer version is slightly quicker, were you to use it wide open with a Sony / Pentax / Olympus with IS.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Two of the better 28mm non-OEM manual lenses! The Adaptall 2 version is slightly sharper with a bit more contrast, but they are both decent performers Smile Obviously the newer version is slightly quicker, were you to use it wide open with a Sony / Pentax / Olympus with IS.

True T opening for the 2.5 version is 2.8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

Hmm, that's interesting. Do you know the transmission value for the 2.8 version?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:

Hmm, that's interesting. Do you know the transmission value for the 2.8 version?

No, sorry