Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adaptall 2 lenses with Nikon body
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Adaptall 2 lenses with Nikon body Reply with quote

Hi, currently I have a Pentax K10D which has given me lots of pleasure but now is the time for me to upgrade.
The K20D would be the logical step as I have quite a few AF lenses for the Pentax but also some Adaptall 2 with the PK/A mount (3 mounts).
A friend of mine bought round his D90 and I was pleasantly suprised by the camera and it got me thinking maybe a change of brands is in order, the idea is to keep the Pentax and its lenses as is now and maybe use the Nikon with the Adaptall 2 lenses I have.
I have a couple of Nikon mounts, the lenses being the SP 17mm, 90mm SP 72B macro, SP 35-80mm f2.8 01A and 19AH 3.8 70-210mm.
Now the problem .. when he bought the D90 round the lenses mounted to the body no problem but would not meter on body, the only way we could change the aperture was on the lens .. also we could not get the onboard flash to fire at all.
Is this a mount fault ot Nikon body problem?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fault is with Nikon backwards compatibility. I think you need to go up at least one camera body-notch in the Nikon hierarchy before you can meter with legacy lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a D200 or better to get metering on Nikon DSLR's. A D90 or lower won't meter. As for the on board flash, you have to use it in manual mode, which you can set via the menu.The aperture has to be set via the aperture ring as well. I have a D70s & like the D90, these same limitations apply. They are easily overcome though. I shoot 75% of all of my shooting with manual focus glass. After awhile, you get a sense of what aperture/shutter speed to use & you can check the LCD/histogram to get it fine tuned if need be...If you look at my Flickr account (especially the bus/spider/flower sets) you will see what can be done using older MF glass on Nikon non metering DSLR's...Here's a link to a Flickr group I'm in that's devoted to using these lenses this way...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/365610@N21/

Last edited by Screamin Scott on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I went D300 I would be able to meter correctly .. what about flash and aperture?

Thanks for the info so far Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the D300 allows you to dial in the lens info & you can meter, but only in spot & centerweighted, not matrix..The aperture would still need to be set via the aperture ring on the lens & I'm not sure about the flash..BTW, I edited my prior post, you might want to read it...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read what you have written I wonder why you are considering the change?
I shot Nikon SLR for many years and have used most of the Nikon DSLRs (Not the D700 or D3) A few of my best friends shoot Nikon. Three have D300s, one has DX2 and others have D50, D70, D90
What advantage did you see in the D90 considering you noticed it would not meter!
I also wonder why you think you need an upgrade?
The K20D doesn’t offer much more than the K10D and you must be a very discerning photographer if you are pushing the limits of the K10D!
IMO the only upgrade you could make is to FF DSLR
I'm sure you must also know that a Nikon will not take M42 or K mount lenses.
No problem put your K mount lenses and M42 ones for sale here.
Pencil me in for your Takumar 300mm and a couple of Tamron PKA mounts!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Adaptall 2 lenses with Nikon body Reply with quote

Mike.P® wrote:

Now the problem .. when he bought the D90 round the lenses mounted to the body no problem but would not meter on body, the only way we could change the aperture was on the lens .. also we could not get the onboard flash to fire at all.
Is this a mount fault ot Nikon body problem?

Thanks.

The lenses will not meter on bodies below D200. If you want metering on MF lenses, get a D300 not a D90.
Yes, you change the aperture with the aperture ring Smile
To get flash, change the flash from TTL to manual.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
Yes, the D300 allows you to dial in the lens info & you can meter, but only in spot & centerweighted, not matrix..The aperture would still need to be set via the aperture ring on the lens.

I understand that the D300 (etc) allow either using the aperture ring, or using the command dial, to set the aperture. Its a user choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats wrong with using a hand held meter to set your exposure? Confused Shocked

I dont see an issue at all. You dont need to rely on any cameras meter, I rarley ever use my cameras meters.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info so far Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only advantage I could see to the D90 over the K20D, would be if you wanted shoot movies with your old Adaptall lenses

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, that and far better noise performance. The K10D and K20D are pretty awful at higher ISO (even at 400!)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/page20.asp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjkerpan wrote:
The only advantage I could see to the D90 over the K20D, would be if you wanted shoot movies with your old Adaptall lenses

I would suggest looking at the performance test that are available on line.
This will give you an accurate comparison and not a bunch of hear-say.

I have taken a look at the D90 and it is a very good camera.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to this website, select buying guide from the menu on the right side & then select side-by-side from the sub menu....That will bring up listings of all of the cameras they have reviewed ( & they write accurate reviews) Select the cameras you wish to view & it will give you a side by side breakdown of the specs & features...Very good site, here's the link right to the side by side review page...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear are some very good test.

D90
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d90-review/index.shtml

K20D
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pentax/k20d-review/

K10D
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pentax/k10d-review/

Is it worth an upgrade from K10D to the K20D? I think so.

You be the judge. Your the shooter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I mount a Tamron Adaptall 2 + adapter on a Nikon should I have infinity focus?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
If I mount a Tamron Adaptall 2 + adapter on a Nikon should I have infinity focus?

definitively Yes Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, thanks Smile