Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A way to permanently blackening the lens body
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: A way to permanently blackening the lens body Reply with quote

is there any homemade way? (without permanent marker)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any permanent coating will require completely disassembling and reassembly of the lens. You can get some good paint and thin it down for application. may not be permanent but proper preparation and application would be a long lasting repair. I'm new to this end of things so if I'm wrong someone will be along shortly to correct me Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tape off everything but the knurled rings then spray with a matching black paint in 3 to 4 light coats. There is not much you can do with the engraved sections but the knurled areas are the worst. I done this on Nikkor lenses with excellent results. I have found a Duplicolor paint that matches and after a week or so you can't tell the difference.
Pete

PS: I will add that the aged patina look is harder to get so you might just want to leave it as is...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried gunsmith black (or bluing) pens used for touching up dings & such on firearms? Google "gun black lens"...

EDIT!!! Sorry, that may have been confusing, because I made a typo...search for "gun black pens".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, this one looks to be good. Matt or black. Click here to see on Ebay

In the old days you could get a product called Camera Lack. It came in several shades of black from matt to glossy 'blue'. The Leica dealer near me used to use it to great effect. It was in a bottle and smelt like nail polish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Has anybody tried gunsmith black (or bluing) pens used for touching up dings & such on firearms? Google "gun black lens"...

EDIT!!! Sorry, that may have been confusing, because I made a typo...search for "gun black pens".

I'm using the gunsmith blackening solution for blackening the brass parts of my adapters on regular bases. if used properly it gives a nice and strong semi-mate black color to the Brass and is the best solution for threads, for example, as it doesn't add anything to the surface.
I've tried a chemical blackening solution for Aluminium as well but the results were not always satisfactory. For Al I prefer to use a car black mate enamel (spray) which, if baked in the electric oven for 1-2 hours, is very strong and nice.