Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A set of Radionar 4.5/105 scenery from Kuhmo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: A set of Radionar 4.5/105 scenery from Kuhmo Reply with quote

I have put a largish, rather haphazard selection of photos I took with the 105 mm Radionar in Kuhmo during the Chamber Music Festival to http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/k2007.html . Usually one uses small apertures in order to maximize the DOF for scenery, but I've deliberately used only the full f/4.5 aperture, which gives some of the photos quite distinct a look. If you examine the photos closely, you'll see that the Radionar is extremely well-behaved. It isn't perhaps the sharpest of lenses but is sharp enough, and the bokeh remains pleasant all the time, the photos are more pictorial than analytical. The photos have been only minimally sharpened at the full resolution and not at all after downsampling.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful set of landscape pictures.
My favourites are the closeups of birches 8938, 8943 and the lake reflection one (8971).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many really nice photos here, with a very special "look".
I like 8938 (birch trees) and 8919 (bench) the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 8938 for me too. What a beautiful and peaceful place - it looks quite cold there even in summer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series.. 8970 is really good for me...

I may be getting this lens. One person is ready to sell for $25 (inc S&H). Need to make decision.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Yes, 8938 for me too. What a beautiful and peaceful place - it looks quite cold there even in summer.

Well, the first week of the Festival was cool with day-time temperatures between 15 and 20 degrees Centigrade, the second week was about five degrees warmer. I've attended the festival 21 times, and sometimes the temperature has been between 25 and 30 degrees, which is definitely too hot for the concert venues as there is no air-conditioning.

Just to give an idea of one of the really peaceful moments, here are three shots with the Radionar 2.9/50 taken after the late evening concert, just a few minutes before midnight on July 17. The first two were taken at the Concert Hall, which is less than one hudred meters to the right from the birches in the first photo (the trees at the middle grow on the cemetery grounds.) The second photo is the view to the left. Two years ago at this same place, also after a late concert, I met a musician from NYC, and he told me he had never experienced such peace and quiet.

The third photo was taken near the center of the town, about 300 meters from the Concert Hall, on my way to my lodgings:

Kuhmo is situated about half way from Helsinki to the Northernmost point of Finland, about as far North as Reykjavik in Iceland and Fairbanks in Alaska.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:

Kuhmo is situated about half way from Helsinki to the Northernmost point of Finland, about as far North as Reykjavik in Iceland and Fairbanks in Alaska.
Veijo

Wow, that really sounds like North!

I read from the website of the event that the artistic director of the festival is called Mendelssohn, now what a curious thing! I wonder if the composer is one of his ancestors.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is third shot taken around mid-night???
(my only experience with that north is Hollywood movie, Insomnia.. or the flight back to my country, US to India)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Is third shot taken around mid-night???

The three shots were taken between 11.35 and 11.45 PM, the third one is the latest one. The days were already getting shorter, three weeks earlier they had been at their longest, and at the end of the Festival, i.e. at the end of July, the midnights were quite noticeably darker. In the Northernmost Finland, the Sun doesn't set at all for several weeks - and correspondingly, doesn't rise above the horizon during the darkest weeks of the year. Kuhmo is so far South that the Sun always rises and sets.

Veijo