Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

a RF for starters?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
I knew professionals in the diary Clarin and Nacion (argentine) whom, to work in night's events, leaved your leicas at the office and go with the konicas.

Well, it depends where you plan to go. To some areas I would neither bring my Leica M - if I had one, that is. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
estudleon wrote:
I knew professionals in the diary Clarin and Nacion (argentine) whom, to work in night's events, leaved your leicas at the office and go with the konicas.

Well, it depends where you plan to go. To some areas I would neither bring my Leica M - if I had one, that is. Laughing

Nowadays, I wonder how many people walking the streets, bandits included, even have a clue what a Leica M is.

Some years ago I had just returned from Houston, where I had visited with an elderly cousin. I had taken some candid portraits of her while there, and I was showing them to my secretary after my return. She said words to this effect: "Wow. Those are great pictures! Did you take them with your yardsale camera?" I replied "Yes, I did. I'm glad you like them." That yardsale camera to which she was referring was an M3.

On another occasion, I was leaving the Montreal airport, returning home. I was passing security where my M3 was being examined. The inspector said "Nice camera. Does it only take black and white?" I said "It takes beautiful black and white images."

I have the impression that most folks in public, on seeing a chrome finished manual camera of any sort, probably think that it is junk, and that its owner cannot afford a "good" modern camera (electropolycarboplastiblob). Works for me. The camera is anything but threatening when doing candid imaging. And I just like the way it works.

Happy day.

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry Fisher wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
estudleon wrote:

Nowadays, I wonder how many people walking the streets, bandits included, even have a clue what a Leica M is.

Some years ago I had just returned from Houston, where I had visited with an elderly cousin. I had taken some candid portraits of her while there, and I was showing them to my secretary after my return. She said words to this effect: "Wow. Those are great pictures! Did you take them with your yardsale camera?" I replied "Yes, I did. I'm glad you like them." That yardsale camera to which she was referring was an M3.

On another occasion, I was leaving the Montreal airport, returning home. I was passing security where my M3 was being examined. The inspector said "Nice camera. Does it only take black and white?" I said "It takes beautiful black and white images."

I have the impression that most folks in public, on seeing a chrome finished manual camera of any sort, probably think that it is junk, and that its owner cannot afford a "good" modern camera (electropolycarboplastiblob). Works for me. The camera is anything but threatening when doing candid imaging. And I just like the way it works.

Happy day.

Smile

The real reason that the people here don't use expensive things at the night, is because the night's thiefs know perfectly recognize expensive elements. They will steal you if you have a rolex, a Leica M, Hasselblad, etc.

There is a structure to buy and resell all this things. Nothing is by pure chance. The thiefs study catalogues, not be improvised, are professionals.

The time of ignorants and naive thiefs is gone. A long time ago.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rino.

Thank you for the insight. I had no earthly Idea that criminals down there actually study catalogs in preparation for conducting robbery. Incredible.

I'm thinking our bandits are probably less educated. But now I will not be taking as many chances as before, just in case. I wonder if anyone has put other-brand logos or coverings on their gear to make it less "desirable" to thieves.

All the best,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry Fisher wrote:
I wonder if anyone has put other-brand logos or coverings on their gear to make it less "desirable" to thieves.

It's not unknown - I recall it happening years ago that some people would black out the maker's name, but I don't recall anyone putting a cheap name on a pricey camera. The trend for emblazoned shoulder straps is a bit of a giveaway, of course and that didn't used to be much of a problem.
Relatedly, it's becoming more heard of for some photographers to put their gear in diaper bags to mislead thieves, but it that carries on all that will happen is that genuine diaper bags will not be safe. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started 35mm film photo in 1962 with my voigtländer Vito B . Then , in 1966 , my FED-2 with i-26. Followed by slrs (pentax) etc... . I Have Leica's M and pre-war bodies , the whole range of Fed's (1 to 6), Zorkis (1,4,4k), Kiev-4, Yashica Electro -35 Gsn , Konica's, oly's compacts (trip) , revue 400se (himatic's rebrand), a couple of Minox 35,a contessa lke, and olympus XA , Rollei 35 (T,SE). Best results ever :Leica with summaron , summicron ; then Yashica electro-35 ! follwed by : Rollei-35se sonnar (very close but not rf) , Kiev-4 with helios-103 , in fact in my rf range , I cannot say which is the worst ...The contessa lke with Tessar and RF is very near the fisrts in my list ! Nowadays , I use my Olympus XA (6elements lens, rf, pocket !) , and Leica , and ...Rollei-35 or Contessa.
To start with rf's, I'll recommend a zorki 4k with Jupiter-8 or Fed-4 with the same lens, or Kiev-4a (without meter) with j-8 or helios-103 .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much valuable information from everyone.. I decided to buy the camera from Turkey as shipping costs are nearly same price as these cameras.. I'm looking for both the Zorki-4 (early version) and the Yashica Electro 35.. When I find a decent like-new one, no matter which, I'll grab it..

Thanx a lot guys.. all have been more than helpful..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, Farside.

You said:
Quote:
Relatedly, it's becoming more heard of for some photographers to put their gear in diaper bags to mislead thieves, but it that carries on all that will happen is that genuine diaper bags will not be safe.

Back in the 70s and 80s I worked in a TV studio. When we traveled by air we checked hard cases with our television and still imaging equipment in them. Those cases were deliberately made to look as unrelated to photography as possible. Beaten, dented, scratched paint, and misleading nomenclature stencil-painted onto them ... "AT&T - 13B Test Set" or some other such nonsense. If the bad guys didn't want it, then they wouldn't steal it, weI supposed. Nobody ever did.

Happy day.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios wrote:
I started 35mm film photo in 1962 with my voigtländer Vito B . Then , in 1966 , my FED-2 with i-26. Followed by slrs (pentax) etc... . I Have Leica's M and pre-war bodies , the whole range of Fed's (1 to 6), Zorkis (1,4,4k), Kiev-4, Yashica Electro -35 Gsn , Konica's, oly's compacts (trip) , revue 400se (himatic's rebrand), a couple of Minox 35,a contessa lke, and olympus XA , Rollei 35 (T,SE). Best results ever :Leica with summaron , summicron ; then Yashica electro-35 ! follwed by : Rollei-35se sonnar (very close but not rf) , Kiev-4 with helios-103 , in fact in my rf range , I cannot say which is the worst ...The contessa lke with Tessar and RF is very near the fisrts in my list ! Nowadays , I use my Olympus XA (6elements lens, rf, pocket !) , and Leica , and ...Rollei-35 or Contessa.
To start with rf's, I'll recommend a zorki 4k with Jupiter-8 or Fed-4 with the same lens, or Kiev-4a (without meter) with j-8 or helios-103 .

HI Helios!!!

Leica M (3 or 4) and summaron 35/2,8 the best equipment that I use.

For me, the 35/2,8 was better than the 35/2. The summaron was sharpest at F/5,6 to 11.

The best to begin is the M 3 (d.s. is cheaper), with a cheap leica lens : 50/3,5 or 2,8 elmar.

At the begion to the end, better than this, don't.

Rino.