Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A question about engraved letters on lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
Interesting but I would like to know how they quickly put all the tiny screws in a camera...maybe they had cards with the screws embedded in, to hold them while screwing in...what a boring job.

Assembling the time switches, the screws were always made of steel and the screwdrivers magnetic. I always rub my screwdrivers on a magnet when putting lenses back together.

I'll have to try that next time to see if a tiny screwdriver has the magnetic power to hold the screw..it had to be tiny as the screw was going deep into the hole...but thinking, I suppose I could start it off with a larger screw driver and then use the smaller one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
In USSR, most of workers in lens factories were women. Maybe that's the key.

Interesting. When I cruise the Internet about lens manufacturing/assembly the photos most often show women doing the work -- operating machinery, fine hand tools, etc. Same with IBM in the 1950's/1960's where most of the employees hired and trained to do very technical programming work were women.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because women are more tolerant to repeating process

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women doing the work - more likely to be due to very low pay, and 'piece work' - getting paid by the quantity / speed. Which leads to people assembling things that they know are defective just to get the quantity up.
The men were better paid, and set the machines, and did the quality control, which I did for a few years in various factories where female labour did the poorly paid assembly or machine minding, and if they were on piece work the quality controllers had to turn the damn machines off to stop them producing crap. We regularly used to get hit, slapped and have things thrown at us when we stopped them working. It was a nightmare, and obviously the quality of the final product suffered hugely. Today, even though many factories still use piece work, they now incorporate the responsibility of quality control to the individual doing the task, if they make crap they not only don't get the piecework rate, they go on to a lower rate while they sort out the bad components.
Quality control in the 1970 - 89's was a joke in most manufacturing. And I doubt that lens and camera manufacturers were any different, quantity was king.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nandakoryaaa wrote:
That's because women are more tolerant to repeating process

Nothing more sexy than a woman handling a firearm. But that's another topic. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Germany the most successful grocery chain is "ALDI".
They did not use scanning cash register 'till ~five years ago.
Exclusive female cashiers had to memorize price of each item!
Those women were as fast as light keying in the price into the register checkstand and shove on the goods into the supermarket trolley.

Since they changed to scanning cash register men also are able to do this work! Embarassed