Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A nice FAST 28mm under 100$/€?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: A nice FAST 28mm under 100$/€? Reply with quote

Hi there, I'd like to buy a fast 28mm (f/2 or f/1.8) for enviromental portraits. Under 100$/€ would be nice. I already have Konica AR and Nikon F adapters (for Sony E) but that would not be a problem to buy a third adapter, obviously.

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a big ask for the budget.
Probably a Kiron/Kino 28mm f2 or a Vivitar 28mm f2 would qualify
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
That is a big ask for the budget.

Just this ^^

I've been hoping to catch a Petri 28mm f/2 in K mount for some while, but there always seems to be someone else prepared to pay just that little bit more Sad

Whilst having failed to find a 28mm f/2 (yet), I have found a couple of other "interesting" lenses at "attractive" prices that were poorly described and included with low-end camera bodies such as Zenit or Praktica. Careful examination of the pictures included with a for sale listing can prove fruitful, they occasionally don't have a "standard" lens fitted Wink

In the meantime, perhaps a Tamron 28mm f/2.5 might serve ... just that little bit faster than an f/2.8, pin sharp and readily available?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that you will find a good F2 for under 100 dollars.

Of all the fast (F2) 28mm lenses that I have owned I rated the Leica M Summicron the best. The second best was the Nikon AI.

Like Oldhand said, Kiron or Vivitar would be the cheapest options but I found them to be not very good.
I'd rather go for a solid F2.8 from Nikon, Olympus or Minolta. They are very good and very affordable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to deal with bushings repair, Canon FDn 28/2 does fit in the budget.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk wrote:

Of all the fast (F2) 28mm lenses that I have owned I rated the Leica M Summicron the best. The second best was the Nikon AI.

Like Oldhand said, Kiron or Vivitar would be the cheapest options but I found them to be not very good.
I'd rather go for a solid F2.8 from Nikon, Olympus or Minolta. They are very good and very affordable.

Yes, I'd have to agree.
The extra stop on a 28mm isn't worth the premium in price to my way of thinking.
I would rather a solid F2.8 from Nikon, Canon, Olympus or Minolta than my first suggestions.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Petri 28/2 in K-mount on ebay right now.
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Pentax-K-mount-fit-Petri-28mm-1-2-F-2-0-fast-prime-lens-fits-PK-mount-camera/372725290042

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmhh maybe I could raise the budget a little, but not above 150 Sad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
andk wrote:
I'd rather go for a solid F2.8 from Nikon, Olympus or Minolta.

Yes, I'd have to agree.
T

I disagree.
He needs the extra stop.

For environmental portraits f/2,8 is not enough (at 28mm). I have a 28/2,8, whose bokeh I like a lot, but f/2,8 doesn't give you enough isolation to focus the attention on the portrayed person. I tried it, it didn't work out. For that focal it is exactly that extra stop of f/2.0 which does the job. I ended in buying the Nikon 28/1,4 AF-D, which definitively is not in the budget here.

So my recommendation is
either get a bigger budget and buy one of the good 28/2.0, like the Nikkor 28/2 AI-S (7artisans even has a 28/1,4 for an affordable price but that I don't know)
or make the environmantal portraits whith a bit longer focal length (it should be no problem to get a good 35/2 that budget; at least my Nikkor-O Auto 35/2 was in that budget and that is a good lens).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this one: https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Sigma-AF-28mm-F1-8-High-Speed-Aspherical-lens-for-Sony-Minolta-DSLR-Cameras/283577349113

With an LA-EA4 A to E-mount adapter you can even use AF. Only worth investing when planning to get more A-mount glass though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 150 you could (with patience) pick up an Oly 28 f2. Its a very nice lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
andk wrote:

Yes, I'd have to agree.
The extra stop on a 28mm isn't worth the premium in price to my way of thinking.
I would rather a solid F2.8 from Nikon, Canon, Olympus or Minolta than my first suggestions.
Tom

For aps-c camera that normal lens an extra stop could be worth it!

Stick with Nikkors imho. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: A nice FAST 28mm under 100$/€? Reply with quote

davidrf wrote:
Hi there, I'd like to buy a fast 28mm (f/2 or f/1.Cool for enviromental portraits. Under 100$/€ would be nice. I already have Konica AR and Nikon F adapters (for Sony E) but that would not be a problem to buy a third adapter, obviously.

Thanks a lot!

Timing and luck. December 2018 I paid $120 for a very nice Minolta MDiii 28mm f2. The prices on most 28mm f2 lenses were down then.
Yesterday I bid on and lost out on a very nice pre ai Nikon 28mm f2, with a 1mm long minor nick on the front element. It went for $63.
I paid $40 for a mint Kiron 28mm f2 a few years ago. Now they are about $50.

Even in this market with a little patience you should be able to get a Canon, or Nikon under $150. With a little more luck an Olympus or Minolta 28mm f2 lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Nikon-AI-Nikkor-28mm-2-0-lichtstarkes-MF-Objektiv/352746993068?hash=item52215bf5ac:g:shsAAOSwFpddJjCF

From Germany but he is shipping to Italy as well.
It's got some marks but they won't affect the image.
I'm sure this one could go for under 150 Euros. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
How about this one: https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Sigma-AF-28mm-F1-8-High-Speed-Aspherical-lens-for-Sony-Minolta-DSLR-Cameras/283577349113

With an LA-EA4 A to E-mount adapter you can even use AF. Only worth investing when planning to get more A-mount glass though.

I was going to mention the Sigma 1.8/28 mm. It is quite OK, both on APS-C and FF, even wide open. I got mine a couple of years ago for 75€ but I guess that would be difficult nowadays. I would think that it might be better than some of the previously mentioned older designs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
At 150 you could (with patience) pick up an Oly 28 f2. Its a very nice lens.

Not wide open it isn't. I've owned two copies, and both sucked wide open.

aidaho wrote:
If you are willing to deal with bushings repair, Canon FDn 28/2 does fit in the budget.

There is no overwhelming need to fix those, and frankly it's much easier to make it worse than to fix it.

Oldhand wrote:

Unless the seller mentions specifically that the aperture is working/has been fixed, stay away, particularly the Vivitar.

I would go with Canon 28/2 or Nikkor 28/2, both are relatively cheap. Soligor 28/2 can occasionally be found under $100, but it's not a common lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Unless the seller mentions specifically that the aperture is working/has been fixed, stay away, particularly the Vivitar.

The above is correct for the Kiron-made Vivitar 28/2 (serial number beginning with 22). However, the Komine-made Vivitar 28/2 (serial beginning with 2Cool has no issues with the aperture.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
However, the Komine-made Vivitar 28/2 (serial beginning with 2Cool has no issues with the aperture.

True. Those lenses also typically come in a slightly different price range.