Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A nerdish question (vulcanite on Curtagon)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: A nerdish question (vulcanite on Curtagon) Reply with quote

I received my first Schneider Curtagon. Instead of putting it to camera and shoot I am wondering: is bottom grip a kind of leather or Leica like vulcanite rubber material? It breaks and peals off like Leica Smile. Question would also be valid for early Zeiss (Jena) Flektogons, 2/50 Pancolars despite different texture.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about the version with the leatherette around the mount (not on the grip) it is normal leatherette so far as I can remember. There is a splice hidden towards the bottom of the lens (maybe it chipped off already).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
If you're talking about the version with the leatherette around the mount (not on the grip) it is normal leatherette so far as I can remember. There is a splice hidden towards the bottom of the lens (maybe it chipped off already).

I think yes, but i doubt it's leatherette. It does not peel off as leather but breaks as Leica aged vulcanite rubber.

photo from this ad: Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch out, seemingly it IS vulcanite!
I tried to repair the litte broken piece, but on each end I grabbed the lens in the vulcanite region it became more an more worse!
vulcanite did break at several places....
Sad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of 1949 Naval binoculars made by Nikon exhibiting the same problem - but worse.

Scraping it off from a lens would be easy and replacing it simple. But would it affect the value of the lens?