Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Guide To Russian LTM Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: A Guide To Russian LTM Lenses Reply with quote

http://www.slrlensreview.com/web/categories/listings/guides

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. As everything, this guide should be taken with a proverbial grain of salt. At places the author is confused, for example, when talking about Industar 61:
Quote:
The first Russian lens to use rare-earth minerals in treating glass surfaces - the rangefinder versions of this lens used lanthanum glass.

In fact, all versions of this lens that have "L" in their name use lanthanum glass (e.g. I-61 L/D or L/Z), the ones without L, don't have lanthanum glass. This is hardly surprising since "L" stands for lanthanum Wink The lens was labelled with actual focal length, hence the variation in focal length marking.

Also I am not so sure if Industars-22, 50 and 61 are clones of corresponding Leica Elmars. I seem to vaguely remember that the optical schemes are different, but my recollection is fuzzy.

Finally, the description of optical qualities indicates a rather poor copy in his posession.
Quote:
This is the highest resolution LTM Industar (relatively speaking of course) - at f/2.8 this lens feels a bit stretched beyond its actual capabilities, with images remaining fairly soft throughout the frame. It is not as soft as Industar-26m, but certainly not a lens most would be happy to use wide open. Stopped down to f/4, which is where I use it most of the time, the lens gets a nice boost in the center. Borders remain soft through f/8. Stopped to f/8-f/11, the lens is comparable to the old Elmar 50/3.5.

Well, here's I-61 L/D wide open. I certainly wouldn't call this performance "stretched beyond actual capabilities of the lens".

Christmas Eve - Bremen by fermy0001, on Flickr