Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Few Upkeep Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: A Few Upkeep Questions Reply with quote

1) What is a safe way of cleaning the outsides of lenses? (the body, not the optics)

2a) what causes focus rings to get stiff?
2b) does it make sense that a focus ring would be more stiff in one spot? or should stiffness be uniform?

3) is there any way (aside from disassembling the lens) to fix focus ring stiffness?

4) why do people store their lenses with the front element down?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A Few Upkeep Questions Reply with quote

gearsNcogs wrote:
1) What is a safe way of cleaning the outsides of lenses? (the body, not the optics)

2a) what causes focus rings to get stiff?
2b) does it make sense that a focus ring would be more stiff in one spot? or should stiffness be uniform?

3) is there any way (aside from disassembling the lens) to fix focus ring stiffness?

4) why do people store their lenses with the front element down?

Thanks!

1) depend from lens tube material, alu is different than plastic.
Pure alcohol usually good for everything if dirt is not too strong.

2)I has several reason one of them no more grease or too old.
b) can happen with many lenses , for example it was dropped down

3) if reason just grease problem you can fix it.

4) focusing helicoid in this position bellow blades and on hot summer days can't go onto blades and make it them stuck. This position is takes less space on shelf than others.

This is not a good storage technic lens get less light than on side positions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Attila! two of my lenses have pretty stiff focus rings, so i'll try giving them a little grease. This might be a silly question, but is there any particular way to do this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3) Sometimes turning the focus ring for a while can make it go easier. "Sometimes" is stressed here, most of the stiff focus rings I came across could have been turned until the cows come home.
I have heard some people had success by warming up the lens a little (not too much, say, 50°C or something). I tried it once and it helped as long as the lens was still warm, but afterwards it was as stiff as ever.

It might be worth a try, but in my experience there is not much hope in bypassing relubrication.

Last edited by 8310 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearsNcogs wrote:
Thanks for the help Attila! two of my lenses have pretty stiff focus rings, so i'll try giving them a little grease. This might be a silly question, but is there any particular way to do this?

Well, disassembling, removing the old grease from the helicoid, putting the new stuff on and reassembling.

I would not recommend trying to "inject" grease into the lens somehow without disassembling it, if that was your idea. It is going to end up everywhere except the place it is supposed to (worst case: on lens elements and the diaphragm). Besides, usually the stiff old grease would still be there, so you would only make things worse.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8310 wrote:
3) Sometimes turning the focus ring for a while can make it go easier. "Sometimes" is stressed here, most of the stiff focus rings I came across could have been turned until the cows come home.
I have heard people having success by warming up the lens a little (not too much, say, 50°C or something). I tried it once and it helped as long as the lens was still warm, but afterwards it was as stiff as ever.

It might be worth a try, but in my experience there is not much hope in bypassing relubrication.

that's an interesting idea, i never would have thought of that. thanks for your help

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8310 wrote:
gearsNcogs wrote:

Well, disassembling, removing the old grease from the helicoid, putting the new stuff on and reassembling.

I would not recommend trying to "inject" grease into the lens somehow without disassembling it, if that was your idea. It is going to end up everywhere except the place it is supposed to (worst case: on lens elements and the diaphragm). Besides, usually the stiff old grease would still be there, so you would only make things worse.

oh, ok. well, its a good thing i haven't tried it yet! thanks for the info, i misunderstood what Attila was saying. Maybe one day i'll get them serviced, but for now a stiff focus ring isn't the end of the world.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Ultrasonics! Reply with quote

42KHz 50w

Has anyone used these devices for cleansing lenses? Theoretically a $40 unit can contain individual elements and shake off all but grease?

Practically though, what are the pitfalls? Please respond, based upon experience?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Store lens on their side!

+1 Attila.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Store lens on their side!

+1 Attila.

Some fans lenses say that they must be in side down position, but alternating the four sides. I ask to me. How do the know the sides that were down and whcih is the next?

Laughing Laughing

Crazy guys!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should they be stored on sides?

I store mine front element down due to lack of storage space. If there's a good reason I will have to rethink this.