Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Day with the Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 LD Model 30A
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: A Day with the Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 LD Model 30A Reply with quote

There will be some decent images, and some not-so-decent images in this thread.

I spent a day 2 weeks ago using ONLY the Tamron zoom. Part of the day was in the rain forest, and
I closed out the day by going out to the wilderness beach.

I am scanning 35mm slides this evening. As usual, the flatbed scanner doesn't do justice to 35mm
slides. Sad The scanner seems to introduce a lot of "blocky" artifacts and reduced sharpness.
However, I will soon receive a "New Old-Stock" Nikon Coolscan V scanner. Smile I've been
waiting for the right price, as I have self-limited my funds for photo equipment.

In the meantime here are shots using Velvia and Provia, all with the Tamron zoom.

This first shot shows a lot of magenta which is typical for scanned Velvia. The blues might seem excessive
at first, but there was actually a LOT of blue in the scene. I did manipulate this image by desaturating the
magenta by -14. I am very satisfied with the Tamron's sharpness and smooth mechanics. The original
slide is superbly sharp. Shocked

The magenta in the foreground sand is actually natural coloring. These beaches in the area have a large
amount of crushed garnets mixed in with the sand. When the land rose up after the Ice Age, the veins
of garnets were crushed under pressure and mixed in with the regular sand.

Shooting directly into the sun
Tamron 80-200 @ 105mm
f:5.6 @ 1/4 second
Velvia

This was a "bokeh test" for the Tamron.

f/2.8 Wide Open at 1/125th
Approx. 140mm focal length
Provia

f/22 at 6 seconds
200mm focal length
Provia
No manipulations. Straight out of the camera. A small amount of red fringing on some edges.

f/8 at 1/30th
90mm focal length
Velvia
No manipulations. High percentage of garnet grains in this image. The grains of garnet seem to "sort"
themselves away from the regular sands, possibly because of mass/weight ratios. Taken at
closest focus possible.

110mm focal length
f:8 at 3 seconds
Velvia
Autosharpen at minimum setting

Sharpness Test
f:8 at 1/60th
Provia
Contax AX in Macro Mode with the Tamron Model 30A
Slide is razor sharp

Sharpness and Bokeh Test
f:2.8 and 1/250th
Velvia

Sharpness and Bokeh Test
f:2.8 and 1/125th
Velvia

Last edited by Laurence on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Great lens Reply with quote

The Tamron SP 80-200 f2.8 is a great lens. That's why I have 2 of them! Really sharp, excellent color, and a pleasure to focus. Outstanding build quality. Only problem is lugging this lens around -- a real brick of a lens. Also, not the closest focusing lens either, but OK in this regard.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Great lens Reply with quote

dtcls100 wrote:
The Tamron SP 80-200 f2.8 is a great lens. That's why I have 2 of them! Really sharp, excellent color, and a pleasure to focus. Outstanding build quality. Only problem is lugging this lens around -- a real brick of a lens. Also, not the closest focusing lens either, but OK in this regard.

It is definitely heavy. However, for me that is a "plus" when handholding the lens and camera. I just seem to be
steadier with a heavy combination. I totally agree on the very smooth, pleasurable focusing mechanism.

The Contax AX is regarded as not-so-good in macro mode with zoom lenses, but I have had no problems at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely series as always Lawrence but the third shot is just gorgeous, IMHO.

K.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back to Pentax 645 , nice shoots as always , 35mm never comparable with medium format or need a lot better scanner.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
Lovely series as always Lawrence but the third shot is just gorgeous, IMHO.

K.

Thanks man. The thing is, the sky and the water were exactly as taken. An unusually dark cloud BEHIND
the beach (behind the camera) added to the lighting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Go back to Pentax 645 , nice shoots as always , 35mm never comparable with medium format or need a lot better scanner.

Attila, perhaps you could be more direct in what you mean? Laughing

Yeah, the P645 is the "go to" camera, especially since the scans hit the sweet spot on the V700.

I'm still going to hold out to see if the Nikon scanner will bring the quality up in the 35mm format, although
realistically I have a feeling it still won't quite approach the quality of scanning the medium format.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Pentax 645 scan was stunning, don't give it up . I would explain this, 35mm scan is far more worst.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Your Pentax 645 scan was stunning, don't give it up . I would explain this, 35mm scan is far more worst.

Thank you Attila. I respect your opinions. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great presentation, looks like you're getting on really well with that big old Tamron!

2, 3 and 6 for me Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good presentation !
WOW I love Nr . 1/3/5
WOW Coolscan V coming !
WOW you still have where to develop slides!
WOW where are these landscapes ?
Seems a very good lens indeed ,but there is the man behind the camera who spotted the place, awaited for the right light , was patient to set the tripod and carried the tripod/lens/camera Laughing
I am curious about the same slides scanned on the Nikon