Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A b&w film to suffer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: A b&w film to suffer Reply with quote

Hi all,
I just explained to a friend of mine the f/16 rule and he really felt excited about it. He has a camera without light meter and he wanted to give it a try.
He would be shooting in february in a greek island where weather would be from very cloudy to sunny... As he would be limited from the f/16 he would be shooting outdoors from morning before dawn.
Is there a film that can give results even if it is shot one stop under or over dues to wrong estimation of the lighting condition?

I was thinking for iso 400 hp5.
What is your take?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any film has a couple of stops latitude.

I always use sunny 16 with my old cameras and I've never, ever had problems unless i've accidentally changed the settings. This was about 2 stops underexposed because my camera ran out of settings at 1/25 at f3.5 and 100 ASA film (EV9)

follow the image link back to my album page and look at a few samples

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for the iso rating? I guess iso 400 would be good enough or perhaps iso 200?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read recently somewhere (and obviously I can't find it again) that B&W film should give acceptable results from 3 stops under-exposed to 1-stop over. This makes sense to me: shadow detail is retained in deeper shades of grey without all turning black. Conversely, colour negative / print film withstands over-exposure: the highlights retain colour though paler.

There are alternatives to the Sunny 16 rule, in this case Sunset 4 might be appropriate. Using that as a guide, which film speed would be suitable? (Assuming landscapes at f/11):
ISO 100: 1/100 @ f/4 = 1/50 @f/5.6 = 1/25@ f/8 = 1/10 @ f/11
ISO 400: 1/400 @ f/4 = 1/200 @f/5.6 = 1/100 @f/8 = 1/50 @ f/11

As long as the the focal length of the lens is normal (50mm) or wider, he should be able to hand-hold his camera with ISO400 film. Any slower and he'd need a tripod, which would probably be recommended for best results in any case.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilford has a push processing application sheet, http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20062102012331472.pdf
Interesting, though I would do my experimentation before the trip.

Phil