Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

a 1955 Jupiter-8 on my 1st FF-camera (Monochrom)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: a 1955 Jupiter-8 on my 1st FF-camera (Monochrom) Reply with quote

Just a boring testshot, of a lens that came in yesterday (Jupiter-8 calibrated to Leica) and a camera I picked up yesterday as well...

Boring testshot, only a resize and slight edit, but really wanted to test the stuff... I think I'm really going to like this combo Happy Dog

The discrepancy in price between the 2 parts of the setup is somehow hilarious Laughing

Last edited by Sjak on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used a Leica but it's good and compact on my A7. You'll have fun!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting the FF cam, there are lots of wonderful lenses to explore with it.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

The Monochrom (a long-time dream) is a fascinating camera that offers something very different to what I already own. The range of tonality is simply amazing. And I had a very good deal trading in my M8.

E.g. a Canon or Sony is in many ways not essentially unlike my Fuji: they're japanese camera's filled to the brim with features I mostly don't/won't use Smile

For now, I'm done collecting camera's. Maybe I'll add another Sigma at some point. Lenses on the other hand.... Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Looks promising.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O yes it is very promising. I will have to learn from scratch how to handle these files, as my usual raw-converter/editor cant open files from this camera. And of course, I have to re-learn how and when to use actual filters like back in the days, as no colour filters can be applied in software. But the camera was certainly worth the years of longing and waiting.

Here another test-shot, camera-JPG, f/8 + red-filter for gloomy skies:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the Monochrom- I've had the original (CCD) version since they came out. The tonal range and sensor uniformity is incredible.

I have a 1957 J-8 and a custom modified J-8M for my Leicas.

But... if you come across a clean J-3, grab it.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
Congratulations on the Monochrom- I've had the original (CCD) version since they came out. The tonal range and sensor uniformity is incredible.
Thanks! And yes, totally agree. Superb camera.

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
I have a 1957 J-8 and a custom modified J-8M for my Leicas.

But... if you come across a clean J-3, grab it.
I have a 1952 J3, and waiting till my "lens hacker" has time to adjust it for the Leica rangefinder calibration. On my Fuji, I made some memorable family portraits with the J3. I'm really eager to try it on the MM.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions here-

http://aperturepriority.co.nz/2013/02/06/jupiter-3-f1-5-information-update/

Test the focus on yours wide-open, at 1m. There is a formula for computing the change in shim thickness.

With the M Monochrom: there is a noticeable shift in focus towards infinity with deep-yellow, orange, and Red filters. Thickening the shim "just a little bit more", usually ~0.02mm, works. I have a couple of Sonnars shimmed for the M Monochrom for deep color filters.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
Instructions here-

http://aperturepriority.co.nz/2013/02/06/jupiter-3-f1-5-information-update/

Test the focus on yours wide-open, at 1m. There is a formula for computing the change in shim thickness.

With the M Monochrom: there is a noticeable shift in focus towards infinity with deep-yellow, orange, and Red filters. Thickening the shim "just a little bit more", usually ~0.02mm, works. I have a couple of Sonnars shimmed for the M Monochrom for deep color filters.

Thanks so much for all this really useful information!

I guess I could get a bunch of cheapo J8's to experiment with. Once I have sufficient confidence I could try to hack the J3 myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jupiter-8: the later ones are very easy to work on. The only trick to getting the glass out: you need to remove the variable stand-off ring, take out the aperture coupling pin, and remove the aperture ring to get to Two set screws that hold the name ring in place. The 5cm F2 Sonnar is the same.

If you really want to tinker-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90768661@N02/albums/72157651851966083

Misthread the helical so that the acion of the close-focus and distance-focus stop screws are reversed, and index the DOF and Focus scale to match. File down the threads: result, a J-8 that is RF coupled to 0.65m.

J8_3 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all your pointers on the J8. I'll get a newer one soon to do some more experiments.
A bit closer range can come in very handy at dinner-table and/or pub situations.

Due to a vacation, I didn't spend time with my Monochrom for a while. Today took the '55 J8 to my parents for some portrait work... I'm blown away! I guess this lens will get stuck on the MM for a while Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more made with the MM & '55 J8, and now actual pictures instead of testshots Wink

The Jupiter is almost glued to the camera, I really like the way it draws on the MM. The only other lens that got a few minutes on the MM is the 'cron-90 pre-APO, but more on that amazing combination in a different thread later.