Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

99 cent box camera/Ektar samples (Attila will not believe)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
You've done a good job of showing what the camera can do but I think I would prefer something with a better lens than that.

So might we all, but name one that you can pick up for 99 cents that will outperform it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about 99c, but for about $10 I got my 6x9 Beirax folder off e-bay and that has a very good lens. I guess if you got lucky in a junk shop (rather than using e-bay) you might find a beaten-up folder for 99c.

The Beirax is actually a serious contender as a camera for taking pro-quality pictures in undemanding lighting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why you'd want a better lens, perhaps, but I'd say that the charm of some of these pictures lies in the combination of Ektar's colour rendition with the look one gets from a simple box camera lens. Whilst the first picture is striking enough, it's the second picture for me, because it looks straight out of one of those Kodak amateur photography handbooks from the early fifties. I find that look very appealing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree, I think the second one is better. It's a very nice shot and concentrates on the area where the lens is at its best. This sort of camera is fun to play with and to see how well you can shoot (btw, some of Paul's compositions are a great improvement on his earliest shots from when he joined, aren't they?) but it is very limiting, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the subject in #6...is that a bridge being built?
I like these results, Paul good on you for taking on a challenge Very Happy The Tower it self reminds me of a Cyber mans head ( Google Dr Who British TV show!) Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those looking for a brother to the Fish 99 Cent Wonder: it is a Sears Tower No. 1 Camera, and they came with silvery front trim that seems to be lost (as in this sample) fairly often.

Although the parameters are tighter perhaps, in the interchangeable 35mm lens world we also know of the tradeoff between the 'sharpest' lens and those lesser ones that still provide something special. It's the same with vintage cameras such as this one: you hope it's above a certain quality level, and you're amazed when you get modern style quality, but mostly you're happy to be in that vast middle level. Nostalgia adds to photo quality Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much. It is nice to see some fun work has yielded such discussion.

Yes, Mo, that is a replacement bridge being built over the Warrior River. I was standing on the current bridge, with the Tower rested on a concrete rail.

Jussi, thanks for revealing to me what those four glue spots are on the facade. The plastic front has a nice molded in design anyhow. I wonder why the perceived need for aluminum dressage ...

I reckon a handy fellow could implant an actual glass lens, perhaps one with apertures and shutter speeds. This Yashica A's lens/shurtter/aperture module is about the same size as the Tower's ... (Kidding, Bill.)

And yes, "Sears Tower" is the key to an ebay search. When I bid on this one, it was the only Tower tlr listed at the time. All of the others had a viewfinder grafted onto the side of the box, but they still were inexpensive ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for coming in late.

Cameras of that era were pretty much expected to pair with films like Kodak Verichrome (non-pan). This offers a big buffer against exposure variance, and also eliminates the ill effects of chromatic aberrations.

So, to get the most out of it, you can try XP2 with something like a No.25 red filter: the filter brings down the effective speed of the film to a level closer to what the camera expects, and it also narrows down the spectrum allowed through, cutting down chromatic aberrations.

Worth a try, perhaps?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filter is a good idea, Seele ...