Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

90 ~ 105mm (ish) macro lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Canon FD 100mm f/4 macro in a drawer which is in awful condition. I will try it one of these days, because I believe it still produces good images. I remember reading an 80's magazine comparison of several macros of that era, and the Canon was one of the best, if not the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently I already made a few test shots with the Canon. Looks like a lens I should take out more.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/55691955@N05/0Xi76J1Uoz

Could be a very good macro that’s ‘under the radar’.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still life with the Canon (using focus stacking). Clickable for full size.
flowersblendjpeg by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Really nice workmmanship!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I don't know why the Canon is often overlooked.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a gorgeous picture Casper.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Still life with the Canon (using focus stacking).

Beautiful lighting, colours and rendering Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

I've got the Canon FD Macro 100 mm f/4 as well and really like the way it renders, similar to lenses with equivalent optical layout and specs (Nikkor, Hexanon and Pentax, but not Minolta). All those lens designs started out as a simple bellows lens (Konica kept that lens without modification), Canon proposing it already in the FL lens era (Canon FLM 100 mm f/4). Minolta updated the design of the first bellows lens (only 3 elements) and adopted the 5/4 instead of the 5/3 scheme in the MD (Rokkor) 100 mm f/4 macro lens, gaining better uniformity across the frame and better sharpness wide open near infinity. BTW, the smaller and lighter nFD version of the Canon Macro has an interesting feature which lets you change the friction of the focusing ring when shooting reproductions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
BTW, the smaller and lighter nFD version of the Canon Macro has an interesting feature which lets you change the friction of the focusing ring when shooting reproductions.

Funny, didn't figure that out yet. Mine has a lot of dust inside, no focusing rubber and a scratched front element, so I've been sort of ignoring it for a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Alsatian2017 wrote:
BTW, the smaller and lighter nFD version of the Canon Macro has an interesting feature which lets you change the friction of the focusing ring when shooting reproductions.

Funny, didn't figure that out yet. Mine has a lot of dust inside, no focusing rubber and a scratched front element, so I've been sort of ignoring it for a long time.

Just push the focusing ring (the one with the missing rubber Wink ) towards the front until you see a yellow line. The focusing gains in resistance and lets you maintain the focus settings even when the camera is pointed downwards. Pull the focusing ring towards the back to reach the default operation mode.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Alsatian2017 wrote:

Just push the focusing ring (the one with the missing rubber Wink ) towards the front until you see a yellow line. The focusing gains in resistance and lets you maintain the focus settings even when the camera is pointed downwards. Pull the focusing ring towards the back to reach the default operation mode.

Thanks 👍😉

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Alsatian2017 wrote:

Interesting;

For reproductions I usually use a bellows + bellows lens, thus I never encountered the issue or considered the possibility that regular macro lenses with their steep helical threads could suffer from focus creep when pointing straight up/down, but that certainly does makes sense. Very thoughtful of Canon to anticipate that and implement this solution! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it and it works fine.👍👍