Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

85mm lens for 5DII & 1Dseries - which one?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Ahaa.. I finally found the owner of that review page

You're welcome! It's been originally started by forum member no-X, then extended and maintained me.

nixland wrote:
Previously I was interested in Olympus 85/2, but I read some reviews that its not very good. But you said otherwise. Could you tell it more?

Well, I had three samples of this lens (only one left), and all are superb. Note, however, that you absolutely need an "MC" version or the later version labeled just "Zuiko" (not the older "F.Zuiko", which is not quite as sharp). The two newer versions have a floating element, meaning the distance between lens groups changes slightly when you focus closer (it's quite neat actually, I can see it in action when turning the focusing helicoid slowly). This, in turn, allows the lens to achieve excellent sharpness at all focusing distances. This was the only 85mm lens made by Olympus; they couldn't afford to have a lemon in this important focal length. Oh, and it's just as tiny as a 50/1.4 lens, and has 49mm filter threads!

PM me if you want samples (I can email them, so make sure to include your email address).

nixland wrote:
Any significant character differences between Nikkor 85/1.4 Ais with the AF-D ?

I haven't used the AF version of this lens. I was lucky to get a very late sample of 85/1.4 AIS with newest "SIC" coatings (distinctly different color compared to the older "NIC" coatings).

nixland wrote:
About J-9, my black J-9 was very low contrast outdoor or when too many source light in the frame, but the older silver J-9 has very good contrast and sharper than the black one.

What you're talking about is probably not global contrast but rather micro-contrast. Newer MC versions of J-9 have halos around bright objects that contribute to their "soft-focus" look; notably, fine detail is all there. Older black versions (e.g. early copies in SLR M39 mount) and M39 silver lenses don't have that effect. However, contrast when shooting against the light was quite poor by any standard on all of my samples (I had 3: M39 alu, M39 black, M42 MC; the black M39 one is the best of the bunch).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
nixland wrote:
Ahaa.. I finally found the owner of that review page

You're welcome! It's been originally started by forum member no-X, then extended and maintained me.

nixland wrote:
Previously I was interested in Olympus 85/2, but I read some reviews that its not very good. But you said otherwise. Could you tell it more?

Well, I had three samples of this lens (only one left), and all are superb. Note, however, that you absolutely need an "MC" version or the later version labeled just "Zuiko" (not the older "F.Zuiko", which is not quite as sharp). The two newer versions have a floating element, meaning the distance between lens groups changes slightly when you focus closer (it's quite neat actually, I can see it in action when turning the focusing helicoid slowly). This, in turn, allows the lens to achieve excellent sharpness at all focusing distances. This was the only 85mm lens made by Olympus; they couldn't afford to have a lemon in this important focal length. Oh, and it's just as tiny as a 50/1.4 lens, and has 49mm filter threads!

That's interesting. Thanks a lot for the info. I've been misled then Smile

By the way my silver J-9 is M42 mount. The bokeh is very smooth, while my black M42 & black MC M42 are harsher.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:

By the way my silver J-9 is M42 mount. The bokeh is very smooth, while my black M42 & black MC M42 are harsher.

I noticed that, too. Quite odd, isn't it? Earlier and later Jupiters look like completely different lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unlucky me ... few days ago I've just lost bidding for Zuiko 85/2 MC on eBay ... twice!! They were finally sold around $405. By the way is that too expensive for this lens?
There is another one on eBay but the seller says it has little haze inside.

Few days ago a local seller sold Nikkor-H-C 85/1.8 and Nikkor "K" 85/1.8. I pick the K one due to the closer MFD. I read that both has the same optic design and the different is the barrel & MFD. Can you confirm that?
But if the MFD is different, isnt the design a little bit different too?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems expensive for a Zuiko 85/2.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommand the Sonnar 85 2.8, which have been only mentioned in the 2nd page of this thread !!!!

first the image quality, secondly the compact size, then the price. the 2.8 "small"aperture might be a problem, but it only occurs in indoors, and then again you have the high iso with th 5D2. By the way this lens is as compact as a 50mm Planar Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Very unlucky me ... few days ago I've just lost bidding for Zuiko 85/2 MC on eBay ... twice!! They were finally sold around $405. By the way is that too expensive for this lens?

That's too much IMO. I never paid more than $295 for any of my three samples. You'll just need a bit of patience, and another one will sure come along at a more reasonable price.
nixland wrote:

There is another one on eBay but the seller says it has little haze inside.

Might be difficult to clean properly due to the floating element.
nixland wrote:

Few days ago a local seller sold Nikkor-H-C 85/1.8 and Nikkor "K" 85/1.8. I pick the K one due to the closer MFD. I read that both has the same optic design and the different is the barrel & MFD. Can you confirm that?
But if the MFD is different, isnt the design a little bit different too?

Same lens, different barrel and a slightly longer focusing helicoid to push the MFD a little closer. Optics never changed for this lens except when they started applying MC coatings (the H.C. and K versions have it, Nikkor-H does not).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samyang is a great lens for the price, but it has a flaw: a high percentage of them have sticky apertures that result in overexposures when stopped down. If you get one of these, send it back on warranty. It's well worth it.