Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

85mm f/4.5 Ultra-Achromatic Takumar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: 85mm f/4.5 Ultra-Achromatic Takumar Reply with quote

Interestingly I think that this lens has darker midtones than my other "normal" lenses (lenses with glass instead of quartz and fluorite like the Ultra-Achromatic-Takumar).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say it looks like it's insanely sharp! What is the MFD on that lens?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will make Klaus regretting too not have bought this lens with these samples Laughing ...
Indeed very sharp but I guess that's what you can expected from this rare lens.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I regret it, if I have a MINT one here?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGH wrote:
I must say it looks like it's insanely sharp! What is the MFD on that lens?

It's sharp indeed, but we should also take the f/4.5 minimum f/stop into account. But of course it also helps that it, being an ultra-achromat, has much less aberrations than a normal lens, thereby reinforcing the impression that it's sharp.

The minimum focusing distance is 60cm. Great for close-ups!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Klaus' collection does not leave much to be desired, Pascal! Surprised Surprised

pich900 wrote:
Indeed very sharp but I guess that's what you can expected from this rare lens.....

I did not expect anything as this lens is hardly ever used for normal work... And right now I'm looking for a few more filters (IR and UV, blocking VIS). Fortunately I've been offered a few by a fellow UA Tak owner Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Why would I regret it, if I have a MINT one here?

Well, that was a kind of joke of course......and I did not know you had already a mint one!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have researched about these lenses many years, before I found my first one in Japan,
many years ago and many more followed. Of the 20 something still existing, I had
quite a few of them in my hands, not counting the two prototypes I was able to locate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, as you are the expert on UA Takumars (and UV lenses in general): is it also your experience that the midtones of "regular" pictures seem darker than normal? If so, what could be the cause?

Being an uncoated lens I expected a loss in contrast but so far I've not experienced a problem in that regard. Of course it does flare when pointed directly into the sun. However just to be sure I use an oversized hood designed for 135mm lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the opposite I would say.

Have a look at that transmission spectra, normal modern wide angle lenses:

and it clearly shows, that the end of the spectrum (400nm resp. 700nm,
transmits lower than the mid range around 500-600nm. Most if not all
lenses do that, as it is the result of modern coatings.

Now, quartz fluorite lenses behave quite differently, they transmit flat in
a very large spectral range, although much lower overall.

To prevent some comments, the difference in transmission is just 0.36 stops,
I would be more concerned about flares etc.

Here another example showing that effect, same lens, but uncoated older and coated newer type:

[ignore the ripples at the end of the spectrum, these are artifacts from Xenon
peaks in IR, hard to suppress]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Klaus, there is always something to learn from you Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your very informative post, Klaus! Unfortunately I then still don't understand why the histograms of my photos, with regards to the midtones, lean a bit to the dark side (no Star Wars pun intended Wink)

It may be that the histogram as a whole is a bit more compressed when compared to photos taken with a multicoated lens. But I probably need some more experience with the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for asking stupid questions, but when I look at the transmission charts it seems that normal coated lenses seem to transmit more green to orangish-yellow. What does this mean for our daily photography? Do camera manufacturers maintain this color response or are they electronically "flattening" the curve somewhat?

This is just what came up in my mind, as those lenses were surely tested on an optical bench and the response from a digital camera (or film) may be quite different.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite not bad for an uncoated lens... No levels adjustment applied, converted straight from RAW Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... magical photo!! Shocked
A masterpiece.

Also, it shows that you can make masterpiece photos even leaving the dark tones dark and not rescuing everything with that HDR.
There is beauty also in what we do not see well, but imagine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Wow... magical photo!! Shocked
A masterpiece.

Also, it shows that you can make masterpiece photos even leaving the dark tones dark and not rescuing everything with that HDR.
There is beauty also in what we do not see well, but imagine.

+1
That's a very lovely photo with so peaceful atmosphere...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed a very fine one and a great atmosphere!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masterpiece is the right word for this picture - everything fits perfect, maybe here the mood is supported by the brown drawings of the lens ? ( even the stork flying at the 70% transmission line of the diagram Smile )
did you get it by chance or where you waiting near the nest of the stork ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the very kind replies, guys!

It was a 100% lucky shot, not planned in any way. I noticed the sunset, parked my car and right at that exact moment the stork flew into the frame. This is the first shot in a row of three, the other two are definitely not as nice Smile

On a side note: I'm happy that I didn't have an AF lens on the camera, because it would definitely start hunting Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a masterpiece - the last one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my hat for you.
It seems you have much more luck than I ever have Cool
Awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! The last photo is really stunning!

@Klaus - Thanks for sharing your spectrums! Always interesting so see transmission charts. I think I maybe already asked you but I forget the answer - do you have an own UV/VIS spectrometer at home? Shocked that's nearly as cool than your lens collection for me... I'm always looking for a cheap or free one which is in working condition with software as I'm also chemistry nerd. A small FTIR would is also on my wishlist but the only one I could find for free was a very old one with hazed sodium chloride lenses (at least the guy said they are made of sodium chloride) and not usable anymore Sad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have two working spectrometers here, a big old one from KONTRON and a much newer one from Ocean Optics. You want the older one? Go pick it up here... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally spring seems to have arrived. The sun is shining and the flowers have appeared...

(Click for original size).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shot Peter Wink ...If we look today by the windows, it's quite an other story Evil or Very Mad ....