Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

75mm Nikkor (Bronica)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: 75mm Nikkor (Bronica) Reply with quote

I like this lens. My suspicion has long been that the old Bronica S film backs did not hold the film flat enough to fully utilize the quality of the Nikon lenses. Sorry about the exposure of the first photo.
No pp. Camera: Canon EOS-M6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the same about a lot of 120-film cameras and backs.
I know this is the case with the Graflex backs, no matter if they have been "fixed".
120 film is just too prone to flexing.

To be fair, these were not really intended to be used wide open as a usual thing.
Professionally, such as with wedding and event photography, it was almost always flash exposures.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a Bronica EC-TL, which used a 12-24 back, similar but different enough from the S/S2/S2a, which were contemporaneous, that they wouldn't interchange. Based on the photos I took with it, I'd have to say its backs did a pretty good job. Now, spacing -- that was another matter. The following photo was taken with the 75mm Nikkor, by the way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these photos show the Nikkor's qualities better than the ones from a few days ago.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a more convenient adapter for the Bronica S lenses (made by Fotodiox) so I pulled my lens collection out of the cabinet. The lens that seems to work best with a Canon M6 is the "normal" 75mm Nikkor lens. It is a five elements design. I am particularly happy with what it does with portraits, but it has other uses. Do not, however, point it at the sun! It is old (I think I bought it in 1969) and needs some TLC to show its better qualities, which I think are gorgeous colors and smooth transitions. Plenty sharp, too, for my purposes. As the image circle was designed for a 6x6cm negative I would like to find a tilt/shift adapter. That should cover even a full frame sensor well.

All photos are shot as jpg, hand held and no pp, except the second one (with the cricket) which was slightly underexposed. I fixed that in PS, but didn't alter the image in any other way except cropping.

Last edited by folderholder on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

folderholder wrote:
I found a more convenient adapter for the Bronica S lenses (made by Fotodiox) so I pulled my lens collection out of the cabinet. The lens that seems to work best with a Canon M6 is the "normal" 75mm Nikkor lens. It is a five elements design. I am particularly happy with what it does with portraits, but it has other uses. Do not, however, point it at the sun! It is old (I think I bought it in 1969) and needs some TLC to show its better qualities, which I think are gorgeous colors and smooth transitions. Plenty sharp, too, for my purposes. As the image circle was designed for a 6x6cm negative I would like to find a tilt/shift adapter. That should cover even a full frame sensor well.

Do you have the Bronica extension rings? One of those rings is Bronica S mount to 57*1.0 thread. This is a perfect fit for one of the manual Minolta SR extension ring sets, which are 57*1.0 to Minolta SR (or MD if you aren't as pedantic about Minolta mount naming conventions as I am). Add an Minolta Auto Bellows III for shift and swing.

Or use modern Chinese cheap extension ring sets, some of those (Minolta SR and Sony E for instance) use 57*0.75 threads. These bind a bit with the 57*1.0 thread, but it works as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
folderholder wrote:

Do you have the Bronica extension rings? One of those rings is Bronica S mount to 57*1.0 thread. This is a perfect fit for one of the manual Minolta SR extension ring sets, which are 57*1.0 to Minolta SR (or MD if you aren't as pedantic about Minolta mount naming conventions as I am). Add an Minolta Auto Bellows III for shift and swing.

Or use modern Chinese cheap extension ring sets, some of those (Minolta SR and Sony E for instance) use 57*0.75 threads. These bind a bit with the 57*1.0 thread, but it works as well.

This is news to me. I don't have the extension tubes, but will look for them. Makes sense because the helicoid has threads inside of it. Thanks very much.

Update: Found a Bronica set on eBay and ordered it.