Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

71% humidity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: 71% humidity Reply with quote

These days, if I don't turn the dehumidifier on, the humidity in my study is 71%, in spite of two big boxes with dehumidifying salt that are placed in the room and that are supposed to serve each a room of 50 cubic meters (my study is about 75-80 cubic meters).

Scary, isn't it ? Shocked
Every day I look at my lenses in terror...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, you have a big study.( kidding man).
What I wanted to say is that here on the island humidity is between 65-90%, summer time of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Hmm, you have a big study.( kidding man).
What I wanted to say is that here on the island humidity is between 65-90%, summer time of course.

I have just followed Attila's suggestion and bought some boxes. But I think that I will have the opposite problem with them. I have placed some lenses inside and an envelope of silica gel. And the humidity meter inside as well. In less than an hour, the meter moved from the 67% of the room level (dehumidifier on) to a 31% level inside the box - and it's still going down!
What I am worried about is that Zeiss stated that a humidity level below 30% can be dangerous because the grease inside the lens can dry and also the mechanical elements can suffer.

D*§% !! What to do then?? Confused

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What to do then??

I have a nice dry fungus free environment and would be more than willing to look after them for you....... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow some ventilation every now and then, so you will achieve a good average.

In my lens cabinet humidity alters between 45% and 53%, in my study between 55% and 62%.
There is no way I can get humidity further down - too humid here in summer as well!

During winter time, humidity in my study is at about 35%-45%.

Zeiss says r.h. below 30% can be dangerous and they say that fungus needs 70%. But there is more that fungus needs to grow...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Keep them in use... buy few more bodies... Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Orio wrote:

Keep them in use... buy few more bodies... Laughing

Share them with your friends. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my boxes lowest humidity level is 37%,put there less salt or don't close as well the top of box to left a leak.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unbelievable how just a few sunny days can completely change the humidity percentage in the air.
When Attila was here, it was raining every day, and the humidity in my studio was 71%. By turning the dehumidifier on, I could bring it down to 67%, but not lower.
Today, after 4 sunny days, the humidity in my studio is around 47% and never has reached 50% once. I even opened my lens boxes because I feared it could get too dry inside!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is natural behavior of air humidity you can put back your lens to the book shelf again. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have no chance against the "big world" outside.
If there is a warm, humid day opening the windows will increase r.h. in your room considerably - instead of lowering it.
European summers are often humid and in Central Europe the dry summer days, that help to get down r.h., are even rarer than in your area, Orio.

We've had really humid thunderstorm weather for the last 5 days (or so). In the morning the outside humidity is at over 90%!!!
And during the day it changes between 60 and 80%!
No chance that even a powerful dehumidifier can lower the internal r.h. below 50%.

In winter, with our heatings on, this is no problem. It's the Central European summer that gives me a headache.