Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

7 Canon rangefinder lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowowowowow! All yours?? WOW! Shocked

(Another reason for me to travel to Vienna. Wink)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Wowowowowow! All yours?? WOW! Shocked

Embarassed

LucisPictor wrote:

(Another reason for me to travel to Vienna. Wink)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OjXQEQuPsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyRPH0cfMeg&list=RDJyRPH0cfMeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZdiXvDU4P0

Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas,

So far I have used 50/1.2 and 50/1.4. My copy of 50/1.8 has stiff focus, cracked element, and slightly fungus.

The 50/1.2 is among the sharpest I have at f1.2, but the one that gives best contrast at f1.2. Only thing it has as cons is MFD=1m, while the other f1.2 has 0,45m or a bit closer. Best is at f2.

The 50/1.4 is among the sharpest too, but also gives almost zeiss colors, bokeh is smoother than 50/1.4 MM C/Y.

They are just lovely. I like best the size on A7R.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a 100/3.5, which unfortunately has the cloudy element issue - not overly bad, but wide open the contrast is very low. Great sharpness though. My first Canon RF is the 50/1.8 which I love!

Canon RF 100/3.5 on Bessa R by Nesster, on Flickr
Fed 3 - Canon 50/1.8 - Gossen Pilot by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful sets! BTW who knows the meaning of CANON in fact?? Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkjason wrote:

I remember having read somewhere that it comes from the Japanese Kannon or Kwanon. This is the good/ess of Mercy or Loving Compassion called Avalekiteshwara in the original Sanskrt, Quan Yin ( so many different transcriptions ) in China and of which the Dalai Lama is a manifestation for Tibeteans.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
monkjason wrote:

I remember having read somewhere that it comes from the Japanese Kannon or Kwanon. This is the good/ess of Mercy or Loving Compassion called Avalekiteshwara in the original Sanskrt, Quan Yin ( so many different transcriptions ) in China and of which the Dalai Lama is a manifestation for Tibeteans.

great answer! Wink
it should be "Guan Yin" in Chinese and "Kwanon" in Japanese, which has been well described in your answer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do most of the photos in this thread only not load for me, or can't you see them neither?
if so please tell me and I shall edit my posts, trying to make them appear again

the Canon LTM f2/35 on NEX5n and Ricoh GXR M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics are lost - please reload them

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfhansen wrote:

thank's!
now I edited my posts, and instead of uploading them to mfleses, now host those file that are available via flickr
hopefully Lars will notice and edit his postings, to again show his lenses, too

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top!

Here´s my Canon LTM 1.2/50mm on my NEX-6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: 4 more Canon LTMs Reply with quote

4 more Canon LTMs

the short teles, f1.8/85mm, f1.9/85mm and f2/100mm:

the full set of the f1.9/85mm Serenar

and the f1.5/50mm:

( all taken with Pen-F Zuiko f1.4/40mm on NEX5n )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you get the 100mm F2. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
wolfhansen wrote:

thank's!
now I edited my posts, and instead of uploading them to mfleses, now host those file that are available via flickr
hopefully Lars will notice and edit his postings, to again show his lenses, too

I will look after my pic Wink

Edit: My pic is back, and wow! You`re still buying LTM Canons! Nice, you`ve got a very nice linup know... Congratz! Very Happy
How is the 85 1.8 compared to the silver 1.9?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuuan - how does the 85/1.8 compare with the 100/2? I have the 100/2 and think it's absolutely great. I fancy getting the 85/1.8 but have read it suffers from focus shift when closing down from f1.8. As I use mine on an M8 that could be a problem, IF it's actually the case. I've never seen any problem on my 100/2, I must say, nor on my 'heavy' 85/2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Calvin again for your advice, I got the LTM for a decent price and could not resist.

Yes Lars, got these. After Takumars and Pen-F Zuikos Canon LTM are third line of lenses that feels complete, aided by a few CVs on the wide end. The 1.9/85 stunned me, great sharpness already wide open, lovely colors. My f1.8 needed an easy fix and now performs as expected. It's way too early for me to do much comparing though and it may take a while before I could. I had bought these while anticipating a FF camera that unluckily failed to materialize, on my APS-C cams 85mm is longer than I commonly use.

Stephen the 2/100 has been impressing, not sure yet if the 1.8 is up it, from what I read on the net it might. My copy has minor but nevertheless a few cloudy spots around the outer border of a rear lens which may effect ( wide open ) performance while the 2/100 and 1.9/85 are spotless.
Focus is offset when stopping down! Changing aperture rotates the helicoid on all my Canon LTM tele lenses. My copy of the 1.8/85 does that less, my 2/100 very much, the 3.5/100 and 3.5/135 do. The Serenar seem not to suffer from this, interesting that your 2/100 and 2/85 don't.

The 1.8/85 and 2/100 on Ricoh GXR M

taken with Pen-F Zuiko 1.4/40 on NEX5n

Cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Focus is offset when stopping down! Changing aperture rotates the helicoid on all my Canon LTM tele lenses..

Rotating the focus ring rotates the aperture assembly and ring with it. It is said that these Canon LTM tele lenses have a 'single helicoid' being responsible for that, and this also makes the focus ring turn when changing the aperture.

This is annoying, but one can easily redeem it by loosening an internal spring that defines the click stops by way of pressuring a ball into grooves of a rail underneath.
I just did that with my 1.8/85 and 2/100, now changing aperture doesn't rotate the focus ring, won't offset focus anymore.

The Canon LTM teles can be screwed apart in the middle, one part will hold the full optical block, the other part focus helicoid and lens mount.

the optical block of the 1.8/85:

un-tighten the two screws seen, changing the position of the 'leaf spring' they hold a bit upwards or bending it upwards will lessen the pressure unto the dents of the rail below which defines the aperture click stops. This can be done to a point until the clicks are still there but changing aperture won't move the focus helicoid anymore. If that, possibly due to the focus ring being too loose, doesn't work or if one wants the aperture ring to run freely anyways one easily could take off that leaf spring altogether.

same thing with the 2/100, more easily done even, just unscrew the two screws until working as desired

( there was another thread in this forum where we had discussed this issue presented in the Canon LTM 3.5/100 and 3.5/135, but possibly my photos disappeared and someone had been asking me to update these. However I can't find that thread anymore, if anyone knows, please point me to it )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Beautiful collections a joy to see them, thank you for sharing!

+1!

I have never known there were so much of them. Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 59 Canon lenses with m39 mount according to the list at Canon museum.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/lens/s/19-35.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one, the 3.5/135. I'm selling it as I have half a dozen other M39 135s.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I only have one, the 3.5/135. I'm selling it as I have half a dozen other M39 135s.

That`s quite a nice lens, the silver or the black?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuuan - ! Thanks very much for those replies and the comments on making the aperture ring on the 100/2 easier to rotate. Using the Leica, I just set the chosen f number before I focus, so it's not really a problem. But it's a different story on the Lumix, of course. .

The 85/1.8 continues to interest me but I've just bought a 1953 vintage Nikkor 85/2 in Leica mount so even if I find one it might have to wait a while longer Very Happy

Ian - if you have the late model shiny black 135 Canon lens, don't be in a hurry to sell it. I let mine go (admittedly to a good home!) and have regretted it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Kuuan - ! Thanks very much for those replies and the comments on making the aperture ring on the 100/2 easier to rotate. Using the Leica, I just set the chosen f number before I focus, so it's not really a problem. But it's a different story on the Lumix, of course. .

The 85/1.8 continues to interest me but I've just bought a 1953 vintage Nikkor 85/2 in Leica mount so even if I find one it might have to wait a while longer Very Happy

Ian - if you have the late model shiny black 135 Canon lens, don't be in a hurry to sell it. I let mine go (admittedly to a good home!) and have regretted it.

most welcome Stephen. I use mine on mirrorless only and happy because so far this remedy seems to work well.
congrats on the Nikkor, just don't get me even started with these jewels Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's soo tiny, the early chrome / black 3.5/100, and it completes a dozen Wink

and another take of the 1.5/50:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the dozen:

Canon Rangefinder lenses by Andreas, on Flickr

from left to right
front row: 2/35, 1.8/35, 1.4/50, 1.8/50, Serenar 1.8/50, 1.5/50
back row: 3.5/100, 3.5/100, 2/100, 3.5/135, 1.9/85, 1.8/85