Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

7 artisans 35mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: 7 artisans 35mm Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm curious about the 7 artisans 35mm lenses.
Does anyone have experience with those lenses?
My camera is a Fujifilm X-PRO2 and the type of Photography I do is street.
I know the minimal focus distance on the 7artisans is nothing fancy, I think.0.35 but for street is not an issue.
Also, they should be soft wide open, at least the 1.2, but again, doesn't affect my work.
What I'd like to hear is people's opinions: is it the f2 better? Maybe sharper? How's the color rendition? Are these lenses sturdy?
Any insights will help.

Also, I should add that I have other 35mm, a Zuiko f2.8 and a Nikon f2. The reason why I'm looking for an alternative is that with the adapters they look too big for my taste. On top of that, I wonder if with the artisans I could gain any sharpness or advantage in terms of renders, or perhaps my Zuiko/Nikon are better?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have found a whole thread about the artisans which I'm going to avidly read.
Nonetheless, some comment on the comparison with the Zuiko & the Nikon mentioned ahead would be greatly appreciated.

Best

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how relevant my input would be, but I reviewed chinese 35mm lenses by looking up multiple full-size images on Flickr.
My interest was, whether my Canon FDn 50/1.4 + LTII can be replaced by one of these.

To my eye 7artisans 35/1.2 was the best (ex. Samyang as too heavy) of cheap native APS-C offers, and I believe wide open at F1.2 (Canon equivalent of 1.4) 7artisans is a stronger (as in, sharper) lens.
LTII is known for weakness in super-fast apertures. Canon at F2.8 (7artisans F2 equiv) is a very strong lens, no longer undercut by a booster, and from there on out leaves no survivors among chinese lenses.
As I was primarily shooting Canon at F2-F2.8 and further stopped down, 7artisans could not offer me much more than reduced weight.

I'd say go for it. Perfect lenses do not exist, but this one is good enough and small enough, which is a combination I respect.

P.S. See also Neweer 35mm f1.2. Resolution wide open is okay, but stopped down performance is poor.
Sides and corners are weak all the way and past F8.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting, aidaho, thank you for chiming in.
Your conclusion is one of the reasons I'm interested in this lens and, funny you mention the LTII as that's another option I was considering. I enjoy the LTII, but it adds weight and, like you said, at that point a dedicated lens can win on weight and size.

I'll wait to see if someone can comment on IQ compared to the old good Zuiko/Nikon.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I dont own one yet, I've read many reviews and looked at many sample images. I tend to pixel peep more than I should, but to my eye the 7 Artisans 35mm looks impressively good for the price point. Its far from perfect, but it has character that could lend itself well to street photography. Honestly, a brand new 35mm F1.2 lens for under $180 you really cant go too wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the 35 1.2 on Fuji. It's my lens of choice for social stuff, as the camera fits in a small belt pouch, and well, the 1.2 is convenient when the light dims and the thirst rises Wink In bright daylight, the lens is pretty prone to flare though. Build quality is OK, but I've definitely seen better.

I haven't used the 7a 35 2.0 but it seems to get good reactions in a.o. the Leica-crowd. Apparently also better built than the 35 1.2.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Neewer 35/1.2 is not perfect, but on a 24mp (for cropping) mirrorless it is an interesting lens for nature outdoors. Lots of fun in a garden.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen http://forum.mflenses.com/neewer-35mm-f-1-2-t79832.html
I bought a neewer 35/1.2 and like the compact size and view on an old nex a lot.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7925/46961133641_d772c102d5_m.jpg
edit - must type faster !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your insights.

I think I'm passing on the 7artisans. I read several reviews, looked at samples and, above all, I remembered I have a Meike 28mm 2.8.
Now, I now the Meike and the 7artisans are not exactly the same, but, considering the Meike 35 is better than the 7artisans (that's what the reviews say), and even though the 35mm and the 28mm are different lenses, still my impression is that these Chinese brands suffer from quite a few problems: ca, distortions, severe vignetting and so on.

Granted, for that price I can't pretend much, but my indecision was whether it's worth the money considered I have my old lenses or not, and I think my old lenses surpass these brands by a lot. I did some tests comparing the Meike with the old lenses I have, and, heck, even the Vivitar can easily beat the Meike.
I was mainly hoping for a solution that would give me good quality and avoid the adapter, but at this point, I'll live with that.

The smallest lens (in terms of dimensions) I can mount of the Fuji is the PEN 38mm, too bad the angle of view doesn't match my needs. If there only were something similar in a 28mm or 35mm fashion, that would be perfect. The smallest I have right now is the Vivitar28mm and the Olympus 28mm.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Super Takumar 35/3.5. It's M42 if you have the mount. I use it on my X-E1, and I really like it. It's also very small.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Which of your vintage 35mm-lenses also has f/1.2? Even f/1,4 vintage lenses are very expensive. If you shoot stopped down anyway, then I agree it doesn't make sense to invest in a superfast 35. For me, the 35 1.2 is mostly a lens for social&evenings stuff. For outdoors, the focus throw beyond 2-3 meters is too small for comfort.

In 28mm, the Kamlan 28 1.4 seems quite nice:
https://www.dpreview.com/products/kamlan/lenses/kamlan_28_1p4

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/6947377912/kamlan-28mm-f1-4-for-aps-c-sample-gallery

I never used it though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for a fast and excellent 35mm lens you might consider an used Voigtlaender Ultron 35mm/F1.7 in the early M39/LTM version.
It's better adaptable to your Fuji than any SLR lens and it's stunningly sharp already wide open.
It's not particularly cheap but it's worth every penny: http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-35mm-f1-7-ultron-ltm-t72546.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got recently a Neewer 1.2/35. What estonishes me, is a relatively small front glass which does not give at all an idea of f1.2, but rather of f1.8. The same for the image structure w/o, that just does not look shallower/dreamier than an f1.8.

So I took a Minolta PG 1.4/50 and measured the aperture on NEX with both lenses w/o. Pointing precisely the same areas, homogeniously white or more complex, the Minolta makes 1-1.5 stops faster. While the Neewer lens is not bad in itself, that "f1.2" sounds a fiction or a price-booster. For me, it's rather a decent 1.8/35, without the special effects given by Fujian.

Luis, what is your experience about the Neewer's luminosity?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminosity tests are always troublesome. They never turn out as one would think based on the specifications, in my experience. This is something that requires a scientific approach, which leads one to wonder just how much one should care in a practical situation. Shallow depth of field is what you are looking for most of the time with very fast lenses. Even more so today with decent high ISO performance.

So, I just tested my Neewer 35/1.2 against a Nikkor 50/1.4 and a Nikkor 35/2, with a plain adapter, ISO 100 on my Nex 7. A blank white wall target, with not very bright incandescent indoor lighting, a very typical case where one would think better luminosity should matter, in a practical application. These things are meant for shooting beautiful women in dark cafes, after all. And such lighting produces test speeds at the edge of hand-hold practicality, and that's the whole point of this scenario.

I chose the Nikkors as the 35/2 is the fastest ordinary 35mm I have, and the 50/1.4 as a control.

I get about 1/60 for the Neewer, 1/50 for the 50/1.4, and 1/40 for the 35/2

That's about a half-stop between the Neewer and the 35/2. For all practical purposes, under "field" conditions - i.e., in an actual cafe with an actual beautiful woman, it doesn't matter in the least. Bump the ISO to 400 or 800, you won't notice the difference. We aren't in the world of Kodachrome, or Panatomic-X vs pushed Tri-X anymore.

Practically, outdoors I get about identical results in metering and DOF and field of view with a 50/1.8 on a Speedbooster, vs the Neewer.
The Neewer has rather better corners wide open, and is much more compact of course.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Luis, for your in-depth research. I'll check my copy again. But you are basically right, the lens is discovered in real world usage. And if it serves for good shots, technical nuances is the secondary matter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a great little lens on the Fuji.
It is small, well made and easy to use.
Here are a couple of images taken with it that show something of its sharpness and bokeh.
Clearly the subject of the pictures is another camera and lens Smile
I do have some shots of very nice ladies indoors, but I don't have their permission to share their images, so we will have to make do with shots of a camera taken outdoors instead.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Have a look at the Super Takumar 35/3.5. It's M42 if you have the mount. I use it on my X-E1, and I really like it. It's also very small.

Like 1 Like 1

I agree completely - one of my favorite candid lenses on the Sony - crop A6000 and A7 MII both.

The lens is sharp corner to corner, contrasty and very compact, not to mention easy to find and affordable! The relatively slow maximum aperture may be a issue for you depending on the kind of photos you want to take. It doesn't bother me, since when I am shooting candids, street or otherwise, I typically shoot at f/8 or f/11 anyways.

Best,

P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Like 1 Like 1

I agree completely - one of my favorite candid lenses on the Sony - crop A6000 and A7 MII both.

The lens is sharp corner to corner, contrasty and very compact, not to mention easy to find and affordable! The relatively slow maximum aperture may be a issue for you depending on the kind of photos you want to take. It doesn't bother me, since when I am shooting candids, street or otherwise, I typically shoot at f/8 or f/11 anyways.

Best,

P.

Indeed. I have nine lenses from the Takumar range, incl. the obligatory 1.4, and I have to say, the humble 35/3.5 is my favourite. What can you do. Great resolving power.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 Artisans 35mm f1.2 on Fujifilm X-E2s
Tawny Frogmouth.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the Frogmouths - Pretty tame, are they?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Re the Frogmouths - Pretty tame, are they?

They are nocturnal and are reluctant to do much in the daytime. This one is a juvenile and looks like it has grown up around people, as it showed very little response as I approached it.
I guess I was about one metre away when I took the shot.
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 7Artisans 35mm f2 and yesterday did some test shots with other rangefinder 35's. A Staeble Choro 38 f3.5, Summaron 35 f3.5 and Primagon 35 f4.5. Best of the lot even at full aperture. Tested full frame.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My light travel setup with the compact sized xe1 was: xf27 + indu-69 + Jupi-8 (on occasion with an Indu-50).
wanted this 7artisans because of the size,
and to cover this gap between 28-50.

But in the mean time got me Summi-c 40/2,
so this puts 7artisans lower on the list.
Or ill go for a used when I find one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pic using the 7 Artisans 35mm f2 on my Leica M3. Nice and wide and shallow DOF what you'd expect. Vista 200, Tetenal C41, No PP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a cheap and very good 35 mm lens, try the minolta MD 35/2,8. Not easy to beat