Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5D Mark II lens compatibility chart
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barata wrote:
Yes, this thread has a lot of potential.
My 5D MKII just arrived and since i dont have any EF AF around to start shooting, i'm trying to go with the MF lenses for the first tests. However i dont feel confortable about trying to shoot the camera since i dont know the potential hazards that the rear element can cause on the mirror.

The rear element can cause only a superficial damage to the edge of the mirror. Nothing that you can see in the viewfinder (and probably neither on the mirror itself).
What risks to be seriously damaged is the rear glass element of the lens, if the barrel does not give it enough protection.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer Orio.

If the mirror hits the rear element of the lens, will the camera signal an error code?

I'm sorry to ask all this questions but i need to review the entire process theoreticaly before i feel confortable in actually doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barata wrote:
Thanks for your answer Orio.

If the mirror hits the rear element of the lens, will the camera signal an error code?

I don't remember any error code neither I had to reset the camera. I just unmount the lens enough to the mirror to clear and return in place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isnt there any chance of misaligning the mirror in some way?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No error for me either. But with a couple of my oldest chipped adapters, the camera seems not to recognize the chip and hangs - in that case, just open and then close again the battery port, this resets the camera and you can start taking pictures. Newer adapters don't give me this problem.

As far as I know, there should not be much risk from a couple of mirror hits. Of course, if you make the mirror hit the lens 100 times a day everyday, then maybe something can happen. But probably at that pace the shutter would die first Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to finish this Q&A round... what will i ear/see if the mirror hits the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barata wrote:
Just to finish this Q&A round... what will i ear/see if the mirror hits the lens?

A soft "clunck".

But I heard rumours that some lenses of value higher than 1000 Euros have an audio chip installed for such events, they will speak "idiot!" when the mirror hits the glass Razz Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Barata wrote:

A soft "clunck".

But I heard rumours that some lenses of value higher than 1000 Euros have an audio chip installed for such events, they will speak "idiot!" when the mirror hits the glass Razz Laughing

I will not get insulted then... my exakta lenses were less than 150€ combined! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXAKTA MOUNT LENSES

Flektogon 25/4 and ISCO BEROLINA-TELE-WESTANAR 135/3.5

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera? (YES)

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? Likely but with some problems. (see below)

3) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES with problems (mirror wont go down unless you unscrew the lens)

4) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? (Yes but the mirror will only go up, there's no going down.)

5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin (Hong Kong manufacturer)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be selling my MF lenses Sad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Barata
with regards to point 2 I need to know if it's a yes or no - a "likely" will not fit in the spreasheet I am making Wink
do you get a picture, when you shoot at infinity in normal mode (no liveview), or do you get a black screen whole or partial?
This makes a diffference because even with the annoying necessity of taking the lens off to clear mirror, in the first case you get a picture.
In the second case, you get nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
thanks Barata
with regards to point 2 I need to know if it's a yes or no - a "likely" will not fit in the spreasheet I am making Wink
do you get a picture, when you shoot at infinity in normal mode (no liveview), or do you get a black screen whole or partial?
This makes a diffference because even with the annoying necessity of taking the lens off to clear mirror, in the first case you get a picture.

I only made 2 shots, one with each lens because i got scared as hell.

None of them were made at infinity... and still the mirror got stuck in the up position. So, if you go to infinity it can only worsen the problem.

The pictures were taken, since the mirror got up.

In liveview i'm sure you can use them, but before turning off the camera you should unscrew the lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barata wrote:
Orio wrote:
thanks Barata

I only made 2 shots, one with each lens because i got scared as hell.
None of them were made at infinity... and still the mirror got stuck in the up position. So, if you go to infinity it can only worsen the problem.
The pictures were taken, since the mirror got up.
In liveview i'm sure you can use them, but before turning off the camera you should unscrew the lenses.

Does the mirror get stuck even when focusing at the nearest possible distance?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in both lenses.

I guess the problem is how the lenses fit the adapter. I can post pictures tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm that's bad.

I also have a similar problem with my exakta lens (a Tessar 3.5/50)
I think the exakta mount forces to make an adapter that creates problems to the full frame eos cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42

Super Takumar 50/1.4

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera? (YES)

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? (YES, but i think the mirror hits the rear element)

3) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)?(YES but then the mirror wont go down if you go to the viewfinder)

4) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? (YES, but i think the mirror hits the rear element)

5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin (dont know)

FALSE ALARM! Sad
I hate being disappointed... well... dont we all?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH

Xenon 1.9/50 M42 version
- Can be physically mounted on the camera? YES
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? YES
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES
- Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: M42-EOS adapter, no flange from alex (hk300)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CARL ZEISS JENA

Pancolar 1.8/80 M42 version
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES
- Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: M42-EOS adapter, no flange from alex (hk300)

MIR

MIR 24M 2/35 M42 version

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this idea, but hate the execution (sorry).

I suggest we set up something like THIS and have people input the data. Easy to manage, easy to browse, easy to parse, easy to combine data (e.g., conflicting reports on a lens, so that we can decided if it's adapter related, etc.).

What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have already started an excel file but I am busy with the work now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Yes I have already started an excel file but I am busy with the work now.

Precisely my point. If we put up a Google Spreadsheet file up on the web that anybody can access (well, perhaps with an MFlenses specific password), we wouldn't have to rely on one person to create, and keep up to date, such a database.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the lens works at infinity without hitting the mirror, is there any point in doing all the other tests? Surely that means it will work in live view (it does fit the camera) and works at all focal lengths? Incidentally, I've had different makes of M42/EOS adapter from the same vendor, so there is a chance of one vendor using different makers

Also, if the mirror is smaller, do we need to retest all the lenses that are already listed as fully working on the Mark I? Surely it is only those that don't work on the old camera that need to be retested?

Here's a contribution to be going on with:

Micro-Nikkor-P 55/3.5, Non-AI serial number 664XXX (1968-73 design - see Nikon lens dates: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html) works normally at all distances. Adapter from OEC Camera Accessories on ebay. NOTE: This lens focuses to slightly beyond infinity, seems to be largely but not entirely due to the adapter)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera? YES

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? YES, but mirror gets stuck on the way up if an adapter that allows focusing beyond infinity is used; no problems if an adapter of proper thickness is used.

3) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES, but mirror gets stuck on the way up if an adapter that allows focusing beyond infinity is used; no problems if an adapter of proper thickness is used.

4) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES

5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin (which seller it comes from)

White flangeless adapter from big_is of a type that allow focusing beyond infinity (being just a bit thinner than required), and causes the lens to hit the mirror.

Poisk-foto http://filmprocess.ru/photo_m42_poiskfoto.html adapters (matte grey aluminum) work properly with infinity (optical infinity = infinity on this lens). With this adapter, the lens DOES NOT hit the mirror at infinity. However, it has a flange that makes it difficult to change aperture while shooting.

Still looking for flangeless adapter of proper thickness.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contax T* vs 35-70/3.4--
works perfect on 5dII at each f stop at any distance !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
I love this idea, but hate the execution (sorry).

I suggest we set up something like THIS and have people input the data. Easy to manage, easy to browse, easy to parse, easy to combine data (e.g., conflicting reports on a lens, so that we can decided if it's adapter related, etc.).

What do you think?

Perfect idea!!!!!