Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

55mm macro. Nikon or Hexanon?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: 55mm macro. Nikon or Hexanon? Reply with quote

Which of these are regarded as the best? Are there any sites on the web that compare these two lenses?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: 55mm macro. Nikon or Hexanon? Reply with quote

The Nikkors are available in 2.8 and 3.5 versions. I only have the Hexanon though. During my quick test I got the impression that the colors were warm. Otherwise, nothing stood out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: 55mm macro. Nikon or Hexanon? Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
The Nikkors are available in 2.8 and 3.5 versions. I only have the Hexanon though. During my quick test I got the impression that the colors were warm. Otherwise, nothing stood out.

I have the Nikkor 3.5 and it is a very good optic. The Hexanon, I do not have, but the images that I have seen from it are also very good.
I doubt that there is much between them, and unless being purchased to match a system - simply pick the cheapest option.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No difference to really speak off between the Hexanon and the Nikkor 3.5, although I prefer the Nikkor, a truly superb optic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both....
I recently acquired the Hexanon.
I can do a test!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought and received a Nikon 55mm f3.5 micro Nikkor in mint condition c/w M 1:1 adapter and bubble container.Will post pics over next few days.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikon pre-AI 55mm f/3.5 (made in about 1965) that I've owned for over 25 years. It is a superb optic. The Hexanon may be just as good (I don't know), but for many years, the 55/3.5 has been the lens to which I've compared all other macros, and very few can compare.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 55/3.5 Auto Micro Nikkor P has a diaphragm that opens up as the focusing mount is extended to maintain a constant light transmission, at least at apertures smaller than f3.5. I can't properly recall if the 55/2.8 has the same feature, but I think it does not. I had a 55/3.5 back in the days of film and endorse the other comments about its quality. When buying used, check that the focusing movement hasn't become "dry" and rather slack, something which tends to happen with the early Nikon F lenses.

If memory serves me right, Nikon used to claim that it had the highest resolving power of any lens intended for use on a 35mm Camera . . . but ater 50 years I could be mistaken.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having shot rolls of Kodak Tech Pan and Agfa Copex microfilm with my Nikkor 3.5/55 I can safely say that Nikon's claims of it having the highest resolving power are not far off the mark, it's an incredibly sharp optic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are superb optics.