Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

55-58mm lens: Mamiya, Takumar or Haiou?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: 55-58mm lens: Mamiya, Takumar or Haiou? Reply with quote

I will buy a 55-58mm manual focus lens.
I reduced my options to Mamiya 55mm/1.8, SMC Takumar 55mm/1.8 or Haiou-64 58mm/2.
Haiou seems quiet sharp though its color reproduction seems limited.
I've read that Mamiya SXs may not focus infinity.
The Takumar is much more expensive than the other two, I would rather not to buy it if there won't be much difference in the results. Haiku is the cheapest.
Do you have any experience with these lenses? Which one would you recommend?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya/Sekor SX lenses have a ridge on the outside mount that can prevent mounting it entirely. It depends on how wide your m42 adapter is (on the outside. Inside is of course 42mm). You can file it off when it doesn't fit right. Haiou is a Biotar/Helios copy. I would advise you to look at sample pictures and pick the one you like best. Almost al nifty fifty lenses are good so don't fret about it too much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 55-58mm lens: Mamiya, Takumar or Haiou? Reply with quote

subbaa wrote:
I reduced my options to Mamiya 55mm/1.8, SMC Takumar 55mm/1.8 or Haiou-64 58mm/2.
The Takumar is much more expensive than the other two, I would rather not to buy it if there won't be much difference in the results. Haiku is the cheapest.

The mamiya (Tokina made lens?) And the Takumar were born in the same philosophy. A little larger fl for general use. Not so wide like the 50 mm lenses (some of them were f/1,4).
Both 55 mm lenses have similar rendering, sharp from F/2 8 in the center and the best at f/5,6.
The SMC has better (Newer) MC.
Perhaps this is the real differences between them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the bokeh of the Mamiya a bit more busy than that of the Takumar. Also more bubbly. The Helios is also not as busy as the Mamiya (If it is comparable to the Hayou). Build quality wise the Takumar wins (although I know little of the Hayou, but the Mamiya's tend to be stiff because of dried out grease. Something you don't see with comparable Yahisca or Tomioka made lenses.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a (limited) test a while ago with standard lenses: http://forum.mflenses.com/big-standard-lens-comparison-t82388.html

Differences are minimal in general. I love the build quality of Takumars. Fujinon 55mm f/1.8, Minolta PF 55mm f/2 and pre Nikkors also very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the test. It is really helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what characteristics of the lens are most important to you, the Minolta MC 58mm f/1.4 would be worth looking into. Very nice colors and a soft smooth bokeh. They are so sturdy, all metal, and enough made that they are easy to find and not expensive. Original caps are nice, front is press on metal cap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 55-58mm lens: Mamiya, Takumar or Haiou? Reply with quote

subbaa wrote:

While I don't own the Takumar, I have several copies of the Zeiss Biotar 2/58mm, and two different Mamiya 1.8/55mm lenses.

I Just have compared the following lenses on 24 MP FF Sony A7II, testing them for landscape purposes on f1.8 (f2) / f2.8 / f5.6:

* Auto Mamiya/Sekor 1:1.8 f=55mm (M42)
* Auto Mamiya/Sekor 1:2 f=50mm (M42)
* Mamiya/Sekor SX 1:1.8 f=55mm (M42)
* Fujinon 1:1.8 f=55mm (M42)
* Minolta MC-II 1.7/55mm
* Minolta MC-II 1.4/58mm
* Topcor RE 1.8/58mm (last computation, SN 116....)
* Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2/58mm (about 1953); (Haiku is a copy of the Biotar)

Center resolution wide open:
Most lenses are pretty similar: Lots of detail, CAs pretty well corrected, and medium contrast. Notable exceptions are the Minolta 1.4/58mm (the only f1.4 lens tested here) with a really low contrast and reduced detail at f1.4, and the Auto Mamyia Sekor 2/50mm with really good contrast / resoultion at f2. The Fuji and the Topcor seem to have a bit less center resolution, but o confirm this I'd have to use them on 50 MP FF cameras. The Biotar is pretty OK in the very center, but going out just a few millimeters, the resolution drops drastically (unlike the others).

Corner resolution wide open:
Wide open, the Fujinon is the best with relatively low and well balanced aberrations. Slightly behind the Mamyia SX, but very well corrected too. The (older) Auto Mamiya seems to be a different computation and has more aberrations. The Topcor - one of the better vintage normal lenses too - is comparable to the Auto Mamiya 1.8/55mm, and so is the Auto Mamiya 2/50mm and the Minolta MC-II 1.7/55mm. The Minolta MC-II 1.4/58mm lacks both resolution and contrast, but that's quite normal for f1.4 lenses.

Corner resolution at f2.8:
Most lenses are pretty similar - however again the Fuji and the Mamiya SX are above average, while the Minolta MC 1.7/55mm, in the extreme corners, has more astigmatism and CAs than the others, but over most of the image field (90%) a better contrast and better colors. The Minolta MC-II 1.4/58mm is below average (coma, astigmatism, contrast). Even more so is the CZJ Biotar 2/58mm which still is pretty bad over most of the field; only the very center is really good and comparable to the others.

Corner resolution at f2.8:
At f5.6, most lenses are very good even in the extreme corners. The Auto Mamiyas excell with very little CAs, thus resulting in extremely clear and brilliant landscape images (comparaple e. g. to the Canon nFD 80-200mm L). The Fuji - winner at f1.8 - seems to slightly less resolution than the Mamiyas, but again that's meaningless on 24 MP FF and may become an issue only at 50 MP FF (or with 24 MP APS-C and 20 MP micro 4/3 sensors). The Minolta 1.4/58mm is the only lens where a bit of astigmatism and some lateral CAs remain visible. The Biotar still has traces of astigmatism and should be stopped down to f8 or better f11 for "perfect" landscaope images.

I may publish the reults later in a separate thread.

S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have all three of these lenses, I'll start with the Haiou - it's not bad, but it's not a lens I use a lot. Mine is Minolta mount, and I have a few Minolta Rokkors that are far better. But that doesn't make it a bad lens. It is heavy, I think mine is brass rather than aluminium, and it is a copy of the Russian Helios 44M, which is a copy of the Zeiss Biotar. I think the Helios is probably better than the Haiou, and probably costs about the same, the Biotar is expensive.

The Mamiya Sekor 55 / 1.8 that I have is excellent, mine is the non SX Version, M42 with 52mm filter thread and a straight knurl on the focus ring. It's one of the best lenses in this range I've got. I think there are 55 / 1.8 in the SX range, but they can be modified to standard M42 by removing the raised lip and the pin on the mount face, I have done this on a 55 / 2, which is also a good lens.

My Takumar 55 / 1.8 is probably my favourite M42 lens in this range, and I have over 40 different M42 lenses between 50 and 58mm. The Takumar is really very good, and prices reflect this.

My other good lenses that I would reccommend are -
Petri CC Auto 55 / 1.8 Superb lens, very under rated, not common but sometimes very cheap. It's my other favourite, but it is different to the Takumar, and I think just as good.
Fujinon 55 1.8 and 2.2 The 2.2 is slow, but a remarkable lens, it's sharp with the best bubble bokeh ever.
Takumar SMC 55 / 2 Easy to find, sometimes cheap, superb lens.
Helios 44M or 44-2 58 / 2 A classic, can be found cheap
Yashinon - there's a bunch of lenses in this range, 1.4 to 2. I like them all.
Tessars. Plenty of choice, great lens.
Pentacon 50 / 1.8 Very common, cheap, and very under rated

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

The Mamiya Sekor 55 / 1.8 that I have is excellent, mine is the non SX Version, M42 with 52mm filter thread and a straight knurl on the focus ring. It's one of the best lenses in this range I've got. I think there are 55 / 1.8 in the SX range

Yes, there is - and it is even better than the Auto Mamyia Sekor (ie the "non-SX" version).

Lloydy wrote:

but they can be modified to standard M42 by removing the raised lip and the pin on the mount face, I have done this on a 55 / 2, which is also a good lens.

Better to modify the adapter (using a lathe to remove 1-2 mm from the adapter) instead of damaging one or even several valuable Mamiya SX lenses ...!!

S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter is a K-mount Pentax K-1 With a flush m42 adapter. There is no modifying that :p

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The adapter is a K-mount Pentax K-1 With a flush m42 adapter. There is no modifying that :p

OK Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

The Mamiya Sekor 55 / 1.8 that I have is excellent, mine is the non SX Version, M42 with 52mm filter thread and a straight knurl on the focus ring. It's one of the best lenses in this range I've got. I think there are 55 / 1.8 in the SX range

Yes, there is - and it is even better than the Auto Mamyia Sekor (ie the "non-SX" version).

Lloydy wrote:

but they can be modified to standard M42 by removing the raised lip and the pin on the mount face, I have done this on a 55 / 2, which is also a good lens.

Better to modify the adapter (using a lathe to remove 1-2 mm from the adapter) instead of damaging one or even several valuable Mamiya SX lenses ...!!

S

I've got a couple of M42 adapters, and the SX lenses fit one, but not the other. But I have removed the lip in the past, philistine that I am. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fujinon 55/1.8 seems to be actually very sharp in the center @f/2.8, sharper than the Takumar 55/1.8. I will test it another time against my Mamiya EF 50/1.7, which is really sharp IMO.