Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5 Canon old EF and EF-S standard zoom lenses compared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: 5 Canon old EF and EF-S standard zoom lenses compared Reply with quote

5 Canon old EF and EF-S inexpensive standard zoom lenses simple subjetive comparision with samples

The pictures were taken with a Canon EOS Revel XT, tripod mounted, wireless trigger, ISO 100, same exposure (f8 at 1/4 sec.), same natural available day light from a near window, without any filter, and with the lenses in the 38-40mm range. This is a list of tested lenses with their most remarkable features from my subjetive point of view. All these lenses are already out of production.

#1 - Canon EF 38-76mm 4.5-5.6. In fact a tele zoom equivalet in crop sensors cameras (62-123mm eq.) so do not give you a wide angle at all. But my favourite because is the sharpest. Perhaps also the best in acurate color reproduction. Gives a bit of more light (+2/3 EV). Image quality at f5.6-f8 is clearly bellow but still comparable with the Canon EF 50mm 1.8, but the zoom lens gives flexibility whem framing, of course the fixed 50mm is superior in particular in low light. Tend to be available in Europe and Latin America but not in USA. And slow AF.
#2 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 II. The only with a true wide angle (29mm eq.) on crop sensors. And perhaps the second worst in image quality.
#3 - Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM V. The second sharpest. Relatively fast AF, and relatively quiet continuos AF (perhaps the best for video with audio recorded with camera microphones).
#4 - Canon EF 35-70mm 4-5.6 III. In fact a tele zoom equivalet in crop sensors cameras (57-114mm eq.) so do not give you a wide angle at all. The so called “worst Canon lens ever” is not very good but is very inexpesive. Gives a bit of more light particularlly in the shadows (+2/3 EV, interesting feature for video if you are looking for relatively low noise in the shadows). A bit yellowish color reproduction. At 35mm wide open can be use as a somewhat soft focus lens even for portraits. Lots of flare under the sun. A “bad” lens but with lot of useful character. Availability is very good. And slow AF.
#5 - Canon EF 22-55mm 4-5.6 USM. Made in times of the now defuct APS film format. An inexpesive ultra wide angle on full frame sensors, and usefull as a general porpouse standard zoom lens with 36-89mm eq. on crop sensors. The image quality and character is quite similar to the Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 II, but is smaller and with relatively faster AF. Very little flare. And limited availability.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reposting, you can't post pictures on a first post as an anti spam measure.

Last edited by Lloydy on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Canon old EF and EF-S standard zoom lenses compared Reply with quote

fotografiasol wrote:
5 Canon old EF and EF-S inexpensive standard zoom lenses simple subjetive comparision with samples

The pictures were taken with a Canon EOS Revel XT, tripod mounted, wireless trigger, ISO 100, same exposure (f8 at 1/4 sec.), same natural available day light from a near window, without any filter, and with the lenses in the 38-40mm range. This is a list of tested lenses with their most remarkable features from my subjetive point of view. All these lenses are already out of production.

#1 - Canon EF 38-76mm 4.5-5.6. In fact a tele zoom equivalet in crop sensors cameras (62-123mm eq.) so do not give you a wide angle at all. But my favourite because is the sharpest. Perhaps also the best in acurate color reproduction. Gives a bit of more light (+2/3 EV). Image quality at f5.6-f8 is clearly bellow but still comparable with the Canon EF 50mm 1.8, but the zoom lens gives flexibility whem framing, of course the fixed 50mm is superior in particular in low light. Tend to be available in Europe and Latin America but not in USA. And slow AF.
#2 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 II. The only with a true wide angle (29mm eq.) on crop sensors. And perhaps the second worst in image quality.
#3 - Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM V. The second sharpest. Relatively fast AF, and relatively quiet continuos AF (perhaps the best for video with audio recorded with camera microphones).
#4 - Canon EF 35-70mm 4-5.6 III. In fact a tele zoom equivalet in crop sensors cameras (57-114mm eq.) so do not give you a wide angle at all. The so called “worst Canon lens ever” is not very good but is very inexpesive. Gives a bit of more light particularlly in the shadows (+2/3 EV, interesting feature for video if you are looking for relatively low noise in the shadows). A bit yellowish color reproduction. At 35mm wide open can be use as a somewhat soft focus lens even for portraits. Lots of flare under the sun. A “bad” lens but with lot of useful character. Availability is very good. And slow AF.
#5 - Canon EF 22-55mm 4-5.6 USM. Made in times of the now defuct APS film format. An inexpesive ultra wide angle on full frame sensors, and usefull as a general porpouse standard zoom lens with 36-89mm eq. on crop sensors. The image quality and character is quite similar to the Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 II, but is smaller and with relatively faster AF. Very little flare. And limited availability.

I had the 18-55 with an EOS 600 ( which I still have ) and I used it a lot, I had some decent slides and pictures from it. But when I drove a Range Rover over it I bought a Tamron Aspherical 24-70 which was just so much better than the Canon lens. I didn't miss the Canon, and never bought another Canon zoom lens again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Canon old EF and EF-S standard zoom lenses compared Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
fotografiasol wrote:

I had the 18-55 with an EOS 600 ( which I still have ) and I used it a lot, I had some decent slides and pictures from it. But when I drove a Range Rover over it I bought a Tamron Aspherical 24-70 which was just so much better than the Canon lens. I didn't miss the Canon, and never bought another Canon zoom lens again.

5 Canon old EF and EF-S standard zoom lenses ... cont. I: crops

The pictures were taken with a Canon EOS Revel XT, tripod mounted, wireless trigger, ISO 100, same exposure (f8 at 1/4 sec.), same natural available day light from a near window, without any filter, and with the lenses in the 38-40mm range. The pictures are 1024x768 crops from the originals.

#1 - Canon EF 38-76mm 4.5-5.6.
#2 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 II.
#3 - Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM V.
#4 - Canon EF 35-70mm 4-5.6 III.
#5 - Canon EF 22-55mm 4-5.6 USM.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Ghosts Reply with quote

Ghosts with a flash in front of the lenses always at f22 and 1/200s.

#1 - Canon EF 38-76mm 4.5-5.6.
#2 - Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM V.
#3 - Canon EF 35-80mm 4-5.6 III.
#4 - Canon EF 22-55mm 4-5.6 USM.
#5 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 II.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22-55 was the kit lens for the APS film EOS SLRs. It has the reputation of being a truly awful lens.