Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

40D did not turn on...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: 40D did not turn on... Reply with quote

My 40D did not turn on today, for the first time. It just didn't react.
The battery was full and removing and reinserting did not help.

But then I tried another battery and it worked!
So I put the first battery in again and voila it worked.

I don't know why and I don't know what that means. Is that that beginning of the end? Or was it just a singular incident? I will watch it...
In any case I will always have a second battery with me!

Has anybody of you encountered the same problem?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using genuine Canon batteries ?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Are you using genuine Canon batteries ?

The one that failed me was a genuine Canon battery, the one that resurrected the cam was one by hama. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I can't charge as well my third-party battery. It shows full and empty, after a few try it is works again.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Sometimes I can't charge as well my third-party battery. It shows full and empty, after a few try it is works again.

Well, I had the problem with the original battery. And both batteries have been charged and were full.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Canon purchase batteries on "Chienese Market" Smile I not really suprised , profit most important thing who care buyers.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little contact issue, a little dirt, or a little humidity.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Just a little contact issue, a little dirt, or a little humidity.

Yes, not dirt, but perhaps humidity.
I hope you're right, Orio.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten, I had a very similar problem with the battery for my mobile phone. I thought the battery was faulty and bought a new one, then I was showing a friend the old one and it worked again! I cleaned the battery contacts with metal polish and it's been fine. Shocked

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Carsten, I had a very similar problem with the battery for my mobile phone. I thought the battery was faulty and bought a new one, then I was showing a friend the old one and it worked again! I cleaned the battery contacts with metal polish and it's been fine. Shocked

Thanks, Peter. Since it has not happened again so far, I think you're right. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has happened for several times now. It's not really bad, since after re-inserting the battery everything works fine again. It's a kind of a nuisance, though...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send it back to canon with a full description, saying its an intermitent problem and not just to send it back because they turn it on once and its fine.

I use 2 third party batteries, no probs, my 30D has no problems like that.

Either that or take it back to the shop and get it exchanged, if the shop is an authorised canon dealer.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athiril wrote:
take it back to the shop and get it exchanged

I think that's good advice Dan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I send it back to Canon, I will "test" it a little more with different batteries.
But I will call the shop tomorrow and see what they have to say...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The service people at the shop told me today that they only exchange a camera if it is younger than 14 days. At least, they offered me to send it to Canon for me.

But perhaps I have found a solution. It really looked like a contact problem, since once the battery was moved, the cam turned on again. So what I did was to fix some tape to the back of the battery and re-insert it. It fits a little tighter now and I have not have this problem again, so far.

I'll see...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have a 1 year "return to base" warranty, most places that is default.

They are having you on I reckon, actually all shops thats their default reply whether its their policy or not, just so they can save money on stuff they're supposed to honour, even if it costs the customer 4 weeks without a camera.

Go look up your sales invoice and receipt just to make sure.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athiril wrote:
You should have a 1 year "return to base" warranty, most places that is default.

They are having you on I reckon, actually all shops thats their default reply whether its their policy or not, just so they can save money on stuff they're supposed to honour, even if it costs the customer 4 weeks without a camera.

Go look up your sales invoice and receipt just to make sure.

I will check, but German law is not always customer friendly. Sad