Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

40-50m LM or LTM-lens with very good flare resistance
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: 40-50m LM or LTM-lens with very good flare resistance Reply with quote

Hi everybody, for some stage work, I'm looking for a 40-50mm lens with excellent flare resistance characteristics. In particular in situations with strong stagelights in or near the frame, which are very challenging for many of the lenses I use. Will be used on my Monochrom.

Some lenses I'm researching now are the Voigtlander 1.2/40, 1.2/50, 1.5/50 and the Summilux-M 50 ASPH. In particular, the CV1.2/50 seems promising.

Do you have experience with some of these lenses? Or other recommendations that I might have a look at?

Some other preferences:

* f/2.0 or preferably faster
* budget-wise, below approx. 2000 euro (buying used is OK)
* Flare wide-open is OK, as long as stopping down reduces it very significantly.
* A compact size/weight is a definite plus.
* 40&50mm have my preference, but I could adapt to a neat compact 35mm if it has other advantages.
* Although I really like Leica-lenses, no objection against 3rd party
* A classic rendering would help getting a more consistent look with the rest of my images, but maybe that's asking too much Wink
* Min. focus distance of less than 1m

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I propose the Canon Serenar 50mm f/1.8. I've mostly used this lens with B&W, but I've shot color with it also and flare has never been an issue with my lens. It is a surprisingly sharp lens with good contrast. Mine is an early chrome Serenar. I don't know if the later black and chrome ones are the same formula or not. This is one of a few LTM lenses you can find that can still be purchased for a reasonable sum.

I would also recommend the Leitz 50mm f/3.5 Elmar, but it's too slow for your requirements. Too bad, it's an amazing lens with great resolution and contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael, it's a lens I never would have thought of!

Re. the Elmar, I'll get one anyway, but it's a lens I'm really picky about, so it should be a cheap nickel version in good condition. I'm sure they're out there, somewhere Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,Canon Serenar is a good choice and you should find it easily for much less than your budget.
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom, nice image and a rendering I like!

But this seems to show a lot of flare in the upper left quarter of the image, which I am trying to avoid... Or am I mistaken and is it a result of processing?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
Hi Tom, nice image and a rendering I like!

But this seems to show a lot of flare in the upper left quarter of the image, which I am trying to avoid... Or am I mistaken and is it a result of processing?

Yes it is the sun Smile

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two separate thoughts

recommended lens, Topcor Topcon S 50mm f/2.0 LTM. It is a fine Biotar design lens.

The later versions of the Canon LTM 1.8/50 are optically identical to the Serenar version.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Yes it is the sun Smile

Tom
Thanks for clarifying!

In that case, my 1986 Jupiter-8 (with newer coatings than the older ones) is of (at least) similar performance with regard to flare. In other respects the Canon LTM range has some very very nice lenses though (such as this 1.8/50) so it was good to be reminded of them anyway Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sample with the sun in shot from the mentioned Topcor S 50mm f2 LTM

DSC00040.jpg by Macca h, on Flickr

and a gig shot with lighting from the Minolta M rokkor 40mm f2, I`ve more if you need a look.

DSC03965.jpg by Macca h, on Flickr

hope it helps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the Minolta is a valid option. I have the near-identical Summicron-C, but later versions of the Rokkor have improved coatings. And 40.5mm thread size, which matches most of my other lenses.

Will look more into the Topcor too, never heard of this one before but looks promising Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for some photos I took with my old Canon LTM 50mm f/1.8 and I finally found them. I was using my Canon DSLR with an adapter, so my range of focus was mere inches, but it was enough for this shot, which ended up being a macro of sorts. Still, it shows just how sharp these old Canon LTM 50s can be.

Here's the basic photo. Acorns.

But one of them had a visitor of sorts. This is a 100% crop, showing what has to be the tiniest beetle I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:

The later versions of the Canon LTM 1.8/50 are optically identical to the Serenar version.

The later Black versions of the LTM Canon 50/1.8 are reformulated using newer high-index of refraction/low-dispersion glass. Unfortunately, this glass has a tendency for damage (etched glass) when exposed to the lubricants used in the lens. Be sure to check the glass for fog/damaged coatings/etched glass- which produce a lot of flare.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy with my CV 40/1.4 which seems to comply with your criteria.
Here is an example shot from my A7R II where you see the sun (slightly outside the frame) reflecting in a lake. No flare or other problems, still quite contrasty.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
I'm quite happy with my CV 40/1.4 which seems to comply with your criteria.
Thanks! As it happens, I got a 1.4/40 for cheap as Voigtlander Nokton was mis-spelled. I'll give it a try when it's here; should I not like it, I can safely re-sell it without loss. A short focus throw + focusing tab is really helpful for stage work.

The reports of focus shift are all over the place, some users not finding any, and others complaining not being able to focus once stopped down... Then again, the Jupiter-3 is also supposed to have focus shift, but I could not establish any on my copy, at least not at shooting distances of 1m, 1.8m and 3m.

And if I like the CV 1.4/40, I could sell my Summicron-C 40mm as that will become pretty redundant.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on this one: the 1.4/40 Nokton MC arrived. I've used it on 2 test-occasions, and at a concert. I'm not too impressed with the mechanical quality; it's certainly nowhere near the Leica-level build that some attribute to this lens. However, I like the ergonomics: the short focus throw + focusing tab is very useful for shooting people in the wild. And I am pleased with the results.

The flare-resistance is actually quite a step up compared to my Jupiter-3 and also from my Summicron-C.

Actual concert-shots (the purpose for buying this lens) can be seen here: http://forum.mflenses.com/krisiun-club-concert-with-1-4-40-nokton-t80869.html

Thanks all for your input!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my Minolta Super Rokkor 5cm F1.8 to be quite flare resistant - certainly moreso than the 55/58mm MC Minolta lenses from later on. The modern CV lenses though, probably fare much, much better, even something like the 50/1.5.